Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > Hero Lab Online Discussion

Notices

WatersLethe

Old December 7th, 2020, 04:59 AM
I spend hours on Herolab Online as a GM reviewing characters, checking stats, planning adventures, building NPCs. It makes it easy to check what the players are doing during a game, help them find stuff on their web apps, or take control of a player's character while they're gone.

From my players' perspective, they show up ~once a month forget their login, and feel kind of hassled by trying to work through the interface whose design has never been within 100 feet of a UX designer. They see a notice that they're going to have to renew soon, but feel like they paid $5 just recently even though it's been months ago. They're not seeing all the value I get out of it, just a kind of handy character sheet, but "things like Pathbuilder are free, why don't we use that?" as they switch between taking notes on their old character sheet printouts and wondering why their online character isn't up to date.

In the end, some of them are under the impression that I'm forcing them to use this software that they have to pay for for no good reason, and lug electronics around to use.

I've literally bought two tablets so that I don't have to watch two players struggle through using their old, slow phones. Did I mention several of my players are on tight budgets and even though it's $5 every few months they're psychologically predisposed to resisting fees?

So please, I am begging you. Let me pay so that they can access the software. Let me take away one of the barriers keeping them from fully engaging with the software. Heck, charge me a premium now while you figure out the business plan.
WatersLethe is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
H2Os

Old December 7th, 2020, 07:44 AM
I'm still trying to understand why there is a fee for a user to access a character from a campaign that its GM is paying a subscription for and has purchased the content to.
H2Os is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
nightpanda2810

Old December 10th, 2020, 06:27 AM
Yes please! I offered to pay my players subs too, but luckily they were all OK with it. Nobody would have adopted at all though if it wasn't for GM content sharing.

Realmworks Template Management
nightpanda2810 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
marroon69

Old December 11th, 2020, 05:20 AM
I also would love to give my players access via this account, assign emails or soemthing would be great!
marroon69 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
MarcelGM

Old December 11th, 2020, 06:05 AM
I got most of my players using the content sharing but would pay whatever to be able to just assign a character/campaign via email invite.

Just a thought but not sure if I'm correct.
In the future, if HLO implements the ability to create homebrew material, was there a concern about the legality of sharing it among the community? I thought I saw something like that on a thread which mentioned how HLClassic vs HLO works hosting data. If there was this model of a GM sharing content via invite and not sending it to other accounts, would that no longer be an issue since its all contained to one account?
Not sure if this is an actual hurdle that would have to be overcome for future user created material
MarcelGM is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Zimrathon

Old December 18th, 2020, 02:53 AM
I too have the same problem, my players don't complain as they're polite, but every renewal of their account the subject is at least politely raised. I know they see this as a payment they are having to make in order to make my job smoother rather than seeing any benefit from it themselves. There are definitely tools out there that do a similar job for free, for a player at least.
Zimrathon is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Shafaragorn

Old December 22nd, 2020, 12:20 PM
So much this! I could hardly get my group to make accounts to try it out at the 1st level no subscription tier. Asking them to pay for it themselves to play an actual campaign is unlikely to ever succeed, regardless of how low the subscription is. I would jump on a higher tier so my players don't have to pay.
Shafaragorn is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
SLger

Old December 27th, 2020, 06:50 PM
Vote for it!
SLger is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Kizan

Old December 28th, 2020, 04:39 AM
Agreed, vote for this. I'd pay for a super subscriber option.

Me: How bad could it be?
Him: What's the worst that could happen?
Kizan is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Tridus

Old December 30th, 2020, 12:08 PM
Honestly I just make everyone's characters and then send them the PDF. They mostly play off that, and they send me updates. Getting all of them to pay is not terribly realistic, and in the case of 2e, it's so much easier to run at the table that most of them don't need to be in it all the time anyway.

Having them able to use it without paying while using my material is exactly what I wanted out of a web based version in the first place, and it's pretty frustrating that we still don't have that. The current model isn't all that workable.
Tridus is offline   #10 Reply With Quote