Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

AEIOU

Old September 27th, 2014, 09:15 AM
This is one of a series of posts wherein I'd like folks to chime in with what they've tried, what they would have liked but couldn't do and what they are doing now. Please feel free to add to the questions (and answers!)

What category would you use for the following?
• City
• Fruit stand
• Castle
• Ruins
• Lighthouse
• Major road between towns

What category would you use for the following? Would you use containers and/or tags?
• Well-known inn in the wilderness
• Well-known inn in a village
• Well-known inn in a large city
• Well-known inn in the Hollow Hills
• A city in the Hollow Hills on the border of two nations
• A city in the Hollow Hills in continent/zone map 2 of 8 (assume 8 maps make up the continent)
• A river that crosses multiple continent/region zones
• A dungeon beneath a city in a forest in the Hollow Hills within the Grand Duchy
AEIOU is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old September 27th, 2014, 09:24 AM
The first set is fairly straight forward if we use the guidance LW has provided:
• City - community
• Fruit stand - merchant
• Castle - adventure area
• Ruins - adventure area
• Lighthouse - location
• Major road between towns - region:geographical
AEIOU is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old September 27th, 2014, 12:20 PM
Castle could also be a community (wilderness castle where everyone lives inside it's walls) or location if it's inside a larger community (long established with a city that has grown up around it).

City can also be an adventure area in my opinion. Lots of dark deeds could be happening on the streets at night, or even during the day.
Viking2054 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old September 28th, 2014, 04:20 AM
Generally I would contain the following within topics "region:geographical:" & relevant community, adventure area, location etc...

• Well-known inn in the wilderness - location
• Well-known inn in a village - location
• Well-known inn in a large city - location
• Well-known inn in the Hollow Hills - location

Here I would also set the area as general location probably region:geographical or adventure area.

• A city in the Hollow Hills on the border of two nations - community
• A city in the Hollow Hills in continent/zone map 2 of 8 (assume 8 maps make up the continent) - community
• A river that crosses multiple continent/region zones - location (one in each region with the specifics for this area)
• A dungeon beneath a city in a forest in the Hollow Hills within the Grand Duchy - adventure area

Additionally I add tags for my adventures. So e.g. I need the following locations in Adventure01 / Chaper 03 I'll add a suitable tag. Then I filter it and just see the relevant areas. Areas that are rarely used are sent to the world almanach.

I also have for each city / main topic a list of links - some kind of index that only holds the most important stuff to find quickly.

However I did not work with RW extensively as others yet I think
Acenoid is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old September 29th, 2014, 06:58 AM
@Viking 2054: You are of course correct. There are no set rules. But with several hundred towns and lots more NPCs, I feel a burning need for consistency.

This brings up another interesting question. Should we identify things the same way for a module and for a campaign setting? Modules are very granular and need to be able to define things precisely. Campaign settings are broad and often involve thousands of miles of terrain and hundreds of thousands of people (if not more). As I'd like to plop modules into campaigns, I'd argue for consistency but is that really the best method?

Quote:
Generally I would contain the following within topics "region:geographical:" & relevant community, adventure area, location etc...
I've been debating whether to shift things into adventure areas. It breaks up alphabetical sorting. I've been opting for tags instead and filtering out the other stuff when necessary but I'm one of those "if it's out of sight, it might as well not exist" people so I'm not happy with the tag filtering solution.

Quote:
• A river that crosses multiple continent/region zones - location (one in each region with the specifics for this area)
Sort splitting it into upper river and lower river? That's an interesting approach. Mountain ranges could be split that way too.

Quote:
I also have for each city / main topic a list of links - some kind of index that only holds the most important stuff to find quickly.
I find this to be very useful as well. It's also a good place to collect NPC's or locations that don't have an actual Category entry like the 15 wait staff and cooks of a restaurant.
AEIOU is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
jkthomsen9

Old September 29th, 2014, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
I find this to be very useful as well. It's also a good place to collect NPC's or locations that don't have an actual Category entry like the 15 wait staff and cooks of a restaurant.
I find it better to put minor npc's like the cook and wait staff of a restaurant on the restaurant page, as they will most likely only be encountered there. If they become more important, then make a separate entry for them.
jkthomsen9 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Teresa

Old September 29th, 2014, 08:42 AM
Sorry, this got a bit long. I'd say most options depend on how big and detailed the realm is, and how much you have to write, so instead of just details next to the tag I might add a full snippet to add more description... and get all the linking right there for whenever I need it.

What category would you use for the following?
City: community
Fruit stand: merchant
Castle: location/adventure area or Region: urban (in community), or community - depending on size and depth of details
Ruins: location/adventure area or Region: urban (in community), or community - depending on size and location
Lighthouse: location/adventure area - depending on depth of details
Major road between towns: location
PS: I find the "adventure area" name distracting for my personal purposes, so I created Building instead, butI suppose it is basically the same thing

What category would you use for the following? location/adventure area depending on depth of detail
Would you use tags? tags for type and size of building, region: political and/or geographical (general tag with more specific details, or vice-versa, ie tag: UK; detail: in London, England)
Would you use containers? yes, under its geographical region or subregion (and subsubregion, if needed) or community
• Well-known inn in the wilderness:
• Well-known inn in a village:
• Well-known inn in a large city:
• Well-known inn in the Hollow Hills:

What category would you use for the following? community
Would you use tags? tags for type and size of community, region: political and/or geographical (general tag with more specific details, or vice-versa, ie tag: border; detail: between A and B)
Would you use containers? yes, under its geographical region or subregion (and subsubregion, if needed)
• A city in the Hollow Hills on the border of two nations:
• A city in the Hollow Hills in continent/zone map 2 of 8 (assume 8 maps make up the continent):

A river that crosses multiple continent/region zones:
1) Region: geographical (I actually created a new category only for rivers)
2) Tags as already mentioned, and just below the list of geographical region tags...
2a) ...I'd add a snippet with a table mapping main geographical and political regions and communities in its course, or put pins in a map (whichever is easier),
3) then create a container for rivers only

A dungeon beneath a city in a forest in the Hollow Hills within the Grand Duchy:
1) Adventure area (Dungeon)
2) Tags for type: dungeon
2a) geographical region: Hollow Hills (Details: under city A in Forest B)
2b) political region: Grand Duchy (Details: next to the border with C)
3) contained: Continent > ?? > Hollow Hills > city, forest, dungeon // Political Regions > ?? > Grand Duchy

Last edited by Teresa; September 29th, 2014 at 08:43 AM. Reason: readability
Teresa is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old September 29th, 2014, 02:46 PM
Just out of curiosity, why use the "adventure area" tag/descriptor? By that, I mean isn't everywhere in an RPG game an Adventure Area? And if everywhere is an Adventure Area then wouldn't it be redundant to label just a few things "Adventure Area"?
Viking2054 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old September 29th, 2014, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking2054 View Post
Just out of curiosity, why use the "adventure area" tag/descriptor? By that, I mean isn't everywhere in an RPG game an Adventure Area? And if everywhere is an Adventure Area then wouldn't it be redundant to label just a few things "Adventure Area"?
When I sort by campaigns I label an adventure area and contain various items within it that are of different type. This "overrides" the usual sorting where I would have to put a merchant into "city/district/building/merchant for example.

However I am learning from campaign to campaign and probably things / sorting will still change a little here and there.
Acenoid is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 4th, 2014, 02:47 AM
Here are some of my thoughts on the discussion above. Please keep in mind that these are MY thoughts alone and there is no single way in which Realm Works has to be used. You'll also notice that my answer often depends on various factors. So that's something you'll need to consider for yourself as well.

City = Community
Always. I can't think of a situation where anything else would be appropriate.

Fruit Stand = Merchant
If something is being bought, sold, or traded, a merchant is what I'd always use. If the fruit stand is actually just a landmark for some other purpose, it could also be a simple Location.

Castle = Location or Adventure Area or Merchant or Region:Urban
It depends entirely on the role of the castle within the story. Is the castle an old ruins or a landmark in some way that won't otherwise being interacted with by the PCs? Then it's a simple location. Is it just a place where the PCs can meet with the local lord and maybe a member of his staff? It's a simple location. Is it the seat of local government, where business is transacted (e.g. permits secured) and that's it's sole purpose in the game? It's a merchant. Is it a place for the PCs to explore? For example, is infiltrating the castle an important task or is wandering the halls to find different people a key element of who things will play out? If so, it's probably an adventure area. However, if the castle is a sprawling area with extensive grounds that the PCs will wander and it's bustling with activity, then it could even be considered an urban region.

Ruins = Location or Adventure Area
It depends entirely on whether the PCs will explore the ruins or not. If so, then it's an adventure area. If not, it's a simple location. Oh, and if the PCs will explore the ruins, but there's only a single area to explore (e.g. the ruins of an old windmill), it's a simple location.

Lighthouse = Location or Adventure Area
As above, if it's simply an important navigation landmark, it's a location. If it's where the PCs will meet someone, it's a location. If the PCs will explore the lighthouse and maybe attempt to sneak in undetected to douse the light to cause a ship to sink, it's probably an adventure area.

Major Road Between Towns = Region:Geographical
I can't think of any other way I would represent a major road.

Well-Known Inn Anywhere = Merchant or Adventure Area
In almost every instance, an inn is a merchant. The PCs will securing lodging, get food, talk to people, etc. But it all will typically take place in the common area or in the abstract. An exception to this might be a situation where the PCs have to orchestrate a break-in to perform a kidnapping or something along those lines. In such a case, the inn would be an adventure area comprising multiple rooms and areas.

City in Assorted Places = Community
A city is a city is a city. It doesn't matter where it is. Therefore it's a community. The only question is whether it's large enough to warrant containing separate urban regions (e.g. districts).

River that Crosses Multiple Regions = Region:Geographical
A river is its own physical thing, distinct from the lands surrounding it. So it's an independent geographical region. It may wind it's way through numerous political regions and connect multiple geographical regions, but that's no different from a large land area that encompasses numerous political regions and connects multiple oceans.

A dungeon beneath a city in a forest in the Hollow Hills within the Grand Duchy = Mixture
The dungeon would be an adventure area. If it has multiple levels, each level would also be an adventure area. The city is a community (see above). The Grand Duchy would be a political region. For the other two, things get a little more interesting. The Hollow Hills would be a geographical region if they are a physical region of hills. However, if they are a small area of a mountain range where mining took place and the PCs will be venturing into the region to explore recent disturbances, they could very well be an adventure area instead. The forest might be a geographical region or it might be merely a label on the map. If the forest is of meaningful size or otherwise note, it probably justifies being a geographical region. If the forest is of no special note other than that dark green area on the map where the city happens to be, it might not warrant having any topic at all. This is entirely a judgement call, but there's no requirement to have a topic for everything. You need topics for anything that's important and bears detailing for your world. If it's unimportant or has no real details, you probably don't need a topic for it.

Hope this helps!
rob is offline   #10 Reply With Quote