Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Thunder

Old April 4th, 2016, 12:10 PM
Howdy Folks,

I am very suprised after spending $30 on the D&D license how under developed this package is. The Paladin Oaths and the Drow Elf stuff is not yet populated.

There are lots of small things as well, like Paladin on the "Play" screen is not even Capitalized.

Does anybody have an idea of when this stuff will be populated?

Peace
Thunder is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Thunder

Old April 4th, 2016, 06:59 PM
Ok, after looking around the forums a bit, I see the stuff I was asking about seems to be stuff that does not fall under the Wizards license. It falls under Community use.

Still it does not really sit well having spent $30 and see a lot of "placeholder"s.

Peace
Thunder is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Grimmric

Old April 4th, 2016, 11:08 PM
It's all the things that WoTC has released in the SRD.
It will be populated when WoTC release a full license to Wolf Lair.

No one but Wizard of The Coast knows when they will release the license.
Grimmric is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old April 5th, 2016, 01:06 AM
Are you using the Community Pack? We have added alot of the missing content already and continue to add more. Capital letters aren't the highest on my priority list however in comparison to getting functional 'things'.

http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=55090
daplunk is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Thunder

Old April 5th, 2016, 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
Are you using the Community Pack? We have added alot of the missing content already and continue to add more. Capital letters aren't the highest on my priority list however in comparison to getting functional 'things'.

http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=55090
Yes, I am using the community pack...or at least I think I am.

I did not completely understand just how sparse the information in the D&D 5th Edition of this software was going to be. The "sales page" that I used to purchase this software did mention that they had the SRD stuff all populated but due to the license from Wizards all the rest would come from the community pack. That page suggested the community pack was all populated and ready to go.

I am a little disappointed by how much is not populated after spending $30. I have been using Fight Club 5 and it is completely populated as far as I can tell - and it is WAY cheaper. It just doesn't do things like "advantage" and some other common D&D 5th edition mechanics very well. I figured $30 was a lot to pay, but because of Lone Wolf's reputation and promise of a polished package I decided to give it a try.

After spending the $30 I will still have to use Fight Club 5 because the two heroes I am currently playing (Half-Orc Paladin (with Oath of the Ancients) and a Drow Bard) are not yet supported by Hero lab.

Other features (mentioned in other threads) like Factions and Downtime Days are not (to my eyes) supported yet either and I cannot believe the Wizards license is prohibiting their support. Both of those are used heavily in the Wizards Adventure's League play, anybody playing in it will want to track that info.

One of our DMs uses AP points as a way of building up extras for heroes, it would be very helpful if I could add a custom counter to the Journal for extra stuff like this, just allow me to name it whatever I want.

Is there a way to have the Journal show the written notes I have made (without clicking on the pencil icon)? Before a session I like to scroll through the past few sessions and refresh my memory of what has been going on.

Peace
Thunder is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
panda

Old April 5th, 2016, 07:27 AM
The community pack is done by the community and is free, it took a lot of time to do (for example it took me more than 40 hours of my spare time to add the missing monsters). As far as I know all the 5e PHB is complete, if you found some bugs or missing stuff, please go to https://github.com/Sklore/HL_DD_5e_Colab/issues and post an issue.
And you did not spend 30$ on a D&D license, you spend 30$ on herolab + SRD data. and you spend 0$ on community data.
Only Fantasy Ground have a licence for 5th edition and there character creation is terrible (have lost 150$ on it), Fight Club 5 looks illegal and is not comparable to Herolab anyway, different software different purpose.
panda is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old April 5th, 2016, 09:37 AM
Also, once you install the 5e Community pack, go to Character at the top, select Configure your character, then check off the options you want to use. Otherwise, you won't see any of the Community pack materials.

Watch your back, Conserve your ammo,
and NEVER cut a deal with a dragon!
Mergon is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 5th, 2016, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
Ok, after looking around the forums a bit, I see the stuff I was asking about seems to be stuff that does not fall under the Wizards license. It falls under Community use.

Still it does not really sit well having spent $30 and see a lot of "placeholder"s.

Peace
You have 60 days to try the software out and if you are not happy send LW an email asking for a refund. They will happily give you your money back.

But the fact that you didn't do any research into what you where buying is NOT the fault of Lone Wolf. They are not here to just take your money and leave you unhappy. And LW offering a 60 day trial of the software is one way they try and make sure this does not happen.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Thunder

Old April 5th, 2016, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by panda View Post
Fight Club 5 looks illegal and is not comparable to Herolab anyway, different software different purpose.
They did receive a notice from Wizards and had to strip out a bunch of the content. They are working around the issue the same way Lone Wolf is...selling what is legal to sell and have the community populate the rest with a Community Pack. They claim they are 100% legal and legit. Different Software for sure, but I disagree it has a different purpose.

Peace
Thunder is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Thunder

Old April 5th, 2016, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
But the fact that you didn't do any research into what you where buying is NOT the fault of Lone Wolf.
I did the research - here is a direct copy and paste from the Hero Lab Buy page:

"Importantly, the SRD differs from the rules presented in the Player’s Handbook, Dungeon’s Master’s Guide, and Monster Manual. It omits certain options that appear in the full rulebooks (e.g. certain spells, feats, etc.), so those options can’t be included in Hero Lab. Thankfully the free D&D 5E Community Pack provides all the missing pieces that you’re looking for. (Get it today!)"

It clearly says "all" the missing pieces are within the Community Pack. I did the research and I would suggest the stretch in the truth IS the fault of Lone Wolf.

I didn't come here to start a fight, I was expressing my disappointment with the lack of "all" that is promised on the buy page. I have no doubt that you folks working on the Community Pack are working diligently to populate all the placeholders. You have my admiration for what is obviously a labour of love and I appreciate your contribution to the hobby.

I also think that the lack of Downtime Days, Factions, and AP counters shows this software is "lacking" certain important elements of play for the D&D 5th Edition. Sure, those elements are likely going to be added eventually, but paying for a premium software package should come with those basic elements already in place.

Peace
Thunder is offline   #10 Reply With Quote