Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Grimmric

Old August 7th, 2014, 01:06 AM
Hi all
I shall try to explain my "problem" and my wish for a feature.
I have included a picture in the hope you understand what i want.

I try to find my way how i wanna use RW and i am excited about FoW and to show handouts and pictures to the players on an external monitor.
But i dont wanna give away secret info.
And i wanna prepare the game beforehand with all handouts and pictures formatted right and on the screen for easy access.

Se picture below.
I create my monster and wanna show a picture.
The PC have never met a Doppleganger before so they dont know what it is.
I only need to press the button to show it to the players when they enter the room.
Easy and nice. But they see the name and as players they know what it is.
No suprice there anymore.

Name in PV.jpg

There are several scenarios when I dont want to show the name in the frame to the players.
For example a npc that has an alias and i want to show that, but i want the real namn to exist for the plots.
A handout that i want to give a good name but i dont want to reveal it to the players.

Hope you understand what im after.

To give a special name only on the PV frame or the possibility to remove it.
Toggle it on and off.

Earlier diskussion on the subject.
http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=50240

/Grimmric
Grimmric is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
pyremius

Old August 7th, 2014, 08:01 AM
If you put the name in the annotation field instead of the first field, the players won't see the pictures name. If I don't want the players to know any specifics about the image, I'm either leaving that field blank, or adding some basic description only.
pyremius is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
gloranphile

Old August 7th, 2014, 08:02 AM
For a workaround, here's what I do:

1. Leave both sections blank (or fill in the top annotation with information you don't mind sharing - like "unknown monster"). You can fill in the second field (called "Enter annotation here") with anything you'd like, and it does not show up in Player View.

I will mention that as of this build, in the beta Player Mode, you can see both fields.

2. Since this is an issue, you can leave both annotations blank and add a GM snippet just below the image with information for you (in this case, add "Doppelgaenger").
gloranphile is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Grimmric

Old August 7th, 2014, 10:19 AM
But then it would not show up right.
I have made another picture to illustrate.
This should be 3 different kind of monsters, but i had that made quickly.

No name and its going to show Unnamed.
Then I cant seperate them in Content Shown.

Name in PV 1.jpg
Grimmric is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Ladyofdragons

Old August 7th, 2014, 10:53 AM
technically you could NAME the monsters. So your three above might be "Busneck" "Geethard" and "Fred". Totally random and possibly silly, but does help set them apart.

Or maybe that's just the sort of thing my group latches onto...

-------------------------------------
"...You're going to backstab him with a ballista?"
Ladyofdragons is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old August 7th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Still, Grimmric has a valid point. This meta-gaming information should be able to be controlled by the GM.

I should be able to label a picture "Troll" or "Forum Troll" if I wish (I'm not calling anyone a forum troll btw). Then there should be a checkbox for reveal to players. If the box is checked it displays to the players the name of the monster I gave it. If it isn't checked, then it should say Unnamed Monster <number>. It could also give me the option to give it an alternate name so I could put in a <proper name> and then an <alternate name of GM choice> and then I can check which one to display upon reveal.

Allowing the players to meta-game through the current software feature isn't the best form. Of course, this doesn't prevent the players from knowing what the monster is if they've memorized the various monster manuals.

Of course you could also mess up your players on purpose this way with something like:

Troll
Troll (Custom 1)
Troll (Custom 2)
Troll (Custom 3)

And then watch your players freak when they see Troll (custom 2) show up in Players view. Whether or not you've actually customized the Troll's stats and abilities.
Viking2054 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Grimmric

Old August 7th, 2014, 12:30 PM
Yes. I would like a box for Player Preview (Content Shown) and a box for Player View.
Then i can label my view Doppleganger in trollshape, and players view Troll and show a troll.
Then i know that my doppleganger looks like a troll.

So two boxes for labeling would be awsome.
Grimmric is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old August 7th, 2014, 06:36 PM
You wouldn't want an automatic name like 'unnamed monster.' The GM would have to set it. Otherwise, when Archvillain aka 'Bubba', shows up without the name being revealed, he would appear as 'unnamed monster,' clueing in the players that something is amiss with Bubba.

In fairness, there is a long treatise on aliases in the program manuals with several work-arounds.

However, I am definitely +1 in getting some way around this problem.
Bidmaron is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Grimmric

Old August 7th, 2014, 09:47 PM
There are two workarounds i can use as i like to name things right.

I can put the picture as far up on the screen as i can and hide that part of the frame.
It works, but its more fun to have the picture shown in the middle of the screen.

I can create a white empty pictureframe that i position infront of the one i want to show. I then have to position so it just hide a little part of the upper frame where the name is.

But hopefully this is someting that will be "fixed" in the future.
Grimmric is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old August 8th, 2014, 07:42 AM
+1 As Grimmric points out...

I to have ran into this not only with "pre maturely exposing" monster types but other items as well.
Within my campaign the players don't "automatically know" they have found a potion of healing nor a +4 Defender sword, etc.

It is difficult (and redundant) to put unknown potion or unidentified weapon and know as the DM which I am selecting to display... ( I have over 1200 potion types for example).
I require the PCs utilize their experience, spells, local NPCs ect. that are skilled in identifying these types of items. Otherwise it diminishes the value of sages, herbalists, identify spells, etc.

Until this is resolved, I opt not to even display at all and just use RW solely as an electronic file cabinet until I can better see how to control the flow of information not only on the "2nd monitor display" but as gloranphile hints,
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloranphile
I will mention that as of this build, in the beta Player Mode, you can see both fields.
putting the data into "annotation", as some suggest, may not be the solution either....

And since I am not a proponent of double work or reentering fields... (ie can use the Gregorian calendar till the custom one come available... BUT you will have to reenter the dates for Holidays, important events, etc.....Eh, No thanks)

I'll just wait to see how the Players version actually works out revealed data before I waste my time.
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #10 Reply With Quote