Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 8th, 2014, 05:06 AM
At the end of the day, adding features like this is completely doable. The real problem boils down to one simple thing. Resources. We could absolutely implement an incredibly versatile system for changing account names, tracking past account names, displaying those past account names in all the right places, blah blah blah. All I need to do is dedicate the developer resources to the task for however long it takes. Unfortunately, in so doing, I then delay work on calendars, printing, web-based support, content market, and all the other features that users are clamoring for. We don't have the huge development teams that big companies have working on big products. So the bottom line is: "What's more important?"

I'd love to say "yes" to everyone's requests. I'd love to be able to work on all these awesome features NOW. Alas, that's not an option. So I'm stuck in the miserable position of having to say "not yet" to most things, regardless of how reasonable the requests are. That's the unfortunate reality of a tiny company creating a niche product within a niche industry.

I've now this added to the (ridiculously long) todo list. It now has to be weighed and prioritized against everything else on that todo list.

Sorry for the brief venting here, but there are times when this gets very frustrating. The hamsters are running as fast as they can in their little wheels, but it's never fast enough. <sigh>
rob is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
Seregil

Old December 8th, 2014, 05:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
At the end of the day, adding features like this is completely doable. The real problem boils down to one simple thing. Resources. We could absolutely implement an incredibly versatile system for changing account names, tracking past account names, displaying those past account names in all the right places, blah blah blah. All I need to do is dedicate the developer resources to the task for however long it takes. Unfortunately, in so doing, I then delay work on calendars, printing, web-based support, content market, and all the other features that users are clamoring for. We don't have the huge development teams that big companies have working on big products. So the bottom line is: "What's more important?"

I'd love to say "yes" to everyone's requests. I'd love to be able to work on all these awesome features NOW. Alas, that's not an option. So I'm stuck in the miserable position of having to say "not yet" to most things, regardless of how reasonable the requests are. That's the unfortunate reality of a tiny company creating a niche product within a niche industry.

I've now this added to the (ridiculously long) todo list. It now has to be weighed and prioritized against everything else on that todo list.

Sorry for the brief venting here, but there are times when this gets very frustrating. The hamsters are running as fast as they can in their little wheels, but it's never fast enough. <sigh>
We love* you Rob, keep it up.

* in a platonic, non-leather chaps, no handcuffs, several hundreds kilometers way, over-the-Internet, never-met-you-for-real, kind of way.

Seriously, this is the piece of software I have been waiting for for 25 years. Even now, it rocks. Anything beyond this just adds more chocolate sauce on my already great sundae.
Seregil is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Pollution

Old December 8th, 2014, 05:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seregil View Post
We love* you Rob, keep it up.

* in a platonic, non-leather chaps, no handcuffs, several hundreds kilometers way, over-the-Internet, never-met-you-for-real, kind of way.
I don't know, with the amount of info he posted today, and the amount of info we're getting on upcoming features.... I might be okay with the leather chaps......

Really though, thanks so much Rob!
Pollution is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
kate

Old December 10th, 2014, 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post

"Not yet" is fine. "Not yet" is fantastic. This isn't an urgent or important issue. Put it at the bottom of your to-do list. The fact that it's on the list at all makes me feel appreciated and appreciative. Please don't feel bad about not being able to do everything at once - and the venting is understandable.

I'm enjoying Realm Works. Player Edition was like an early Christmas present for me. Everything else you do from here on just makes me enjoy it more.
kate is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old December 11th, 2014, 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kate View Post
"Not yet" is fine. "Not yet" is fantastic. This isn't an urgent or important issue. Put it at the bottom of your to-do list. The fact that it's on the list at all makes me feel appreciated and appreciative. Please don't feel bad about not being able to do everything at once - and the venting is understandable.

I'm enjoying Realm Works. Player Edition was like an early Christmas present for me. Everything else you do from here on just makes me enjoy it more.
Ditto Kate's Post
+1
@ Kate, You do realize that putting in your request puts it somewhere nearer my house than Robs? hehe (thinking Robs list extends from the west coast to Houston TEXAS by now)
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 11th, 2014, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen View Post
@ Kate, You do realize that putting in your request puts it somewhere nearer my house than Robs? hehe (thinking Robs list extends from the west coast to Houston TEXAS by now)
Well, it depends on the font size you use, but it's probably getting pretty close.
rob is offline   #26 Reply With Quote