Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

culhwch1066

Old January 30th, 2016, 11:23 AM
I'm using the editor to add Backgrounds from the PHB. I've used the Background Custom Ability tab to add a new feature for the background, but when I go back to the Background tab, the new ability is not on the Background special Ability list to choose from. What am I missing?
culhwch1066 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old January 30th, 2016, 12:02 PM
Ah, so two things to check.

1 - On the background custom ability, the first button "Available to Background(s)", did you select the new background you created? If you don't see the new background listed there, make sure you hit "test now" to integrate the background you added.

2 - On the background itself, did you add a slot to choose the custom abilities in? Unfortunately, the line where you would set that is called "Custom Ability Count", and there is a bug where it is pointing at the wrong field. I've fixed that for our next release, but in the meantime you can manually set the field. Click on the blue "Fields" button in the upper right while you have the background selected. Click on "Click to add another field value", and for the Field ID enter "AbilMax", and put the number of slots you want to be available in the section for Value.
Aaron is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
culhwch1066

Old February 2nd, 2016, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Ah, so two things to check.

1 - On the background custom ability, the first button "Available to Background(s)", did you select the new background you created? If you don't see the new background listed there, make sure you hit "test now" to integrate the background you added.

2 - On the background itself, did you add a slot to choose the custom abilities in? Unfortunately, the line where you would set that is called "Custom Ability Count", and there is a bug where it is pointing at the wrong field. I've fixed that for our next release, but in the meantime you can manually set the field. Click on the blue "Fields" button in the upper right while you have the background selected. Click on "Click to add another field value", and for the Field ID enter "AbilMax", and put the number of slots you want to be available in the section for Value.
So, it turned out to be #2. I now have, and can choose from, the 6 items I created for the background. When I click to choose, the right side of the screen has all the information for the ability, but the left side of the screen (which is the list of the six abilities) is blank, and the blank item is what goes in when I choose. I've tried several things, but I'm just not seeing how to get the list of choices to fill in.
culhwch1066 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old February 2nd, 2016, 12:05 PM
Why don't you send me a copy of your user file. My e-mail is my forum name at wolflair.com. Also tell me in the e-mail which background and related abilities you are trying to get working. I can't fix it for you, but looking at the actual file should give me enough context to find what is going wrong and give instruction.
Aaron is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Frodie

Old February 2nd, 2016, 12:39 PM
Yea, I ran into the same issue. A FYI, I think they also need a "Roll" tag to be added. But yea same issue with none of the ability names showing up.
Frodie is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Asandir

Old February 2nd, 2016, 12:45 PM
FWIW, I noticed the Background Special Ability for the Acolyte class sits in the Ability tab under General, specifically the Shelter of the Faithful value and doesn't sit in the Background Custom Ability tab under the Background main tab.

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum.
Asandir is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Frodie

Old February 2nd, 2016, 01:27 PM
Yea, I saw that also and just thought that is where they were supposed to go. So I just put everything there. Seems to work fine.
Frodie is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old February 2nd, 2016, 08:16 PM
I got your file and I'll check it out tomorrow. About to hit the hay.
Aaron is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old February 3rd, 2016, 09:12 AM
The ability names not showing is a bug which I should have fixed for the next release (the wrong field was being looked at). Frodie is correct that you should add Roll tags to each of these selections, but that line was omitted from the editor so it's necessity wasn't clear (also should be fixed next release). Also, the amount of text which the user could enter was very small, and has been expanded to the same amount allowed in the bonds/ideals/etc above.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, sorry this slipped by us.
Aaron is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
culhwch1066

Old February 3rd, 2016, 10:17 AM
Awesome!!! Thanks!!
culhwch1066 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote