Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > Hero Lab Online Discussion

Notices

daplunk

Old January 26th, 2018, 01:35 AM
I very much doubt it's LWD controlling this. Keep in mind they pay a license fee to use content under the terms and agreements of said license.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
morpheusdreams

Old January 26th, 2018, 03:30 AM
Then they've negotiated a bad license agreement.
morpheusdreams is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old January 26th, 2018, 06:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by morpheusdreams View Post
No 6 people can't simultaneously use a book but they can pass that book round the table and note down their information on their character sheets very quickly, something you would not be able to do with HLO even with one device since you would have to swap in and out of character sheets. Saas should make things easier and more convenient not harder.

One username and password for multiple people, as you say same family is intended, is absolutely appalling security principles.

As a GM i would quite happily buy an additional CAL subscription only fee for the book to enable my players to build their character sheets from my "book" as they would do in
real life, it's a shame that Lone Wolf seem to just want to gouge people with their unfinished product. Glad I've requested a refund. Shame cos it looks good and could be really useful
If they were to allow this, it would effectively be reducing their potential sales by 80%, what sane business would allow this. You can't do this with HL right now either, unless your doing it illegally.

Personally, I would like to see LWD stay in business and not shoot themselves in the foot.
Toblakai is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old January 26th, 2018, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
You guys should really create a way that both you and the customers are happy with to enable the GM to share with their table. GMs will quite often open their pockets to ensure their players are playing using the technology that the GM wants to use.

D&D Beyond have done really well in this regards with the ability to share books.
I don't think D&D Beyond is a an apples to apples comparison. D&D Beyond is more WotC than LWD is Paizo. I also didn't see mention of support for multiple RPG game systems on D&D Beyond.

Last edited by Toblakai; January 26th, 2018 at 07:05 AM.
Toblakai is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old January 26th, 2018, 07:05 AM
Quote:
Then they've negotiated a bad license agreement.
So you speculate on someones speculation.. Typically when you license access to something you pay per instance. Amazon has to pay the publisher for each digital book sold. Did they negotiate a bad license too?

Last edited by Toblakai; January 26th, 2018 at 07:21 AM.
Toblakai is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old January 26th, 2018, 09:28 AM
Quote:
No 6 people can't simultaneously use a book but they can pass that book round the table and note down their information on their character sheets very quickly, something you would not be able to do with HLO even with one device since you would have to swap in and out of character sheets. Saas should make things easier and more convenient not harder.
Print to PDF, and then make annotations with a suitable PDF reader?

That sounds like the electronic equivalent of the same.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Galymyr

Old January 26th, 2018, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
I very much doubt it's LWD controlling this. Keep in mind they pay a license fee to use content under the terms and agreements of said license.
Fantasy Grounds allows sharing of the DM’s purchased Pathfinder content while the PC’s are in game so I would very much doubt it’s a license restriction.
Galymyr is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Galymyr

Old January 26th, 2018, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
If they were to allow this, it would effectively be reducing their potential sales by 80%, what sane business would allow this. You can't do this with HL right now either, unless your doing it illegally.

Personally, I would like to see LWD stay in business and not shoot themselves in the foot.
I don’t agree with your logic on this. I would argue that the vast majority of your so called “potential sales” are people who would never pony up the money for HLO in the first place. Giving GM’s the ability to buy additional licenses for these types of players opens an entirely new revenue stream for LWD.
Galymyr is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old January 26th, 2018, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galymyr View Post
Fantasy Grounds allows sharing of the DM’s purchased Pathfinder content while the PC’s are in game so I would very much doubt it’s a license restriction.
This is different than the use case mentioned. In this case the players have to be in a "game", HLO has no concept of a "game" right now. Hopefully with the advent of group play features this will change, in this case LWD will probably need to negotiate this use case with Paizo.

In addition, fantasy grounds needs to be purchased by all players for $39 or the GM ponies up $149.
Toblakai is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old January 26th, 2018, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galymyr View Post
I don’t agree with your logic on this. I would argue that the vast majority of your so called “potential sales” are people who would never pony up the money for HLO in the first place. Giving GM’s the ability to buy additional licenses for these types of players opens an entirely new revenue stream for LWD.
What? $10/license revenue? That is not a stream, more like a one time drip.
Toblakai is offline   #20 Reply With Quote