Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Shadow_Hawk

Old May 9th, 2021, 10:44 PM
So I've actually managed to take your notes and the latest printing of the PDF and combine them into a rough 2.0 version of the mod. All that's left are about five or so eval scripts that I'm struggling to understand and then sorting everything into rule groups that people can enable separately. Since it's only that much left instead of 60 plus items, think I could pick your brain on putting the finishing touches on it?
Shadow_Hawk is offline   #151 Reply With Quote
wdmartin

Old May 15th, 2021, 09:26 AM
Certainly, go ahead. What problems have you run into?

Sorry for not responding faster. I usually get a notification email when the thread gets replied to, but that didn't happen this time. Perhaps that's related to the recent forum issues.
wdmartin is offline   #152 Reply With Quote
Roadie

Old May 17th, 2021, 05:47 PM
One big thing I would request here as a user, assuming the updated version of the rules gets incorporated, would be a clear rules toggle between the 'original' and 'updated' versions - since the games I've been a part of have specifically avoided using the newer version, because of how much more they change compared to the original.
Roadie is offline   #153 Reply With Quote
Shadow_Hawk

Old May 18th, 2021, 04:27 AM
The big things are figuring out how to change feats that normally select individual weapons to ones that let you choose weapon groups, like point blank master. The other thing I've not figured out how to do is for Agile Combatant, have it check that the player is wielding a finesse (or light) weapon.

As for having a toggle, I can try throwing in a WiS Blog option to have it give the "original" version as an option, but I'm gonna keep a few optimizations and fixes I've come up with that would apply to the old ruleset, and I'll need some assistance reprogramming the .1st file to give a radial option between "blog" and "document"
Shadow_Hawk is offline   #154 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old May 18th, 2021, 05:27 PM
I would also request that either there be a way to toggle or that this be set up as a completely separate option, with its very own update source and all. This would be especially true if you're planning to incorporate changes that you've made to the original but that were not part of either ruleset.

I've adopted the WiS rules in some of my games, and some of my GMs have as well, but we're are pretty conservative bunch when it comes to house rules and I'd hate to see changes made that eliminate the originals as an option.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #155 Reply With Quote
wdmartin

Old May 21st, 2021, 09:41 PM
I'm inclined to think the best path is to fork the two and treat them as separate modules. I suspect it would be complicated and error prone to try implementing both versions of the ruleset as a series of checkboxes in the hero configuration screen.

On a related note, it would probably be best to set new IDs for the the things in WiS v2. That way, in the event that someone needs both -- say, WiS v1 for one game, and WiS v2 for another -- they could install them side-by-side and just turn them on for the requisite characters.

Changing all the IDs through the editor would be horrifically tedious, not to mention you'd have to comb through all the scripts looking for references to things that have changed IDs. It'd be way faster (and more reliable) to open the .user and .1st files in a text editor and do a search-and-replace for each ID that needs changing.

Regarding implementing a feat that picks a weapon group instead of a weapon, the best I can do is point you at the code I did for v1. I wrote a bunch of comments in there as it goes through. The gist is that it:
  1. Sets up a drop-down box of the weapon groups using usrChosen1
  2. Pulls the tags from that group
  3. Loops through BaseWep for the weapons in that group and pulls their tags, e.g. WepFocus.Flail or whatever
  4. Pushes all those tags onto the hero so they count as having the feat for pre-req purposes
  5. Finally assign Broadcast.WepFocus and a group weapon focus tag that's defined in world-is-square.1st

See if you can use the feats from v1 as a model to make it work for v2. If you hit a wall, post your code so we can poke at it.

Regarding Agile Combatant -- it's basically Agile Maneuvers, except that they've made a global change specifying that you can use your DEX mod on CMB checks for disarm, sunder and trip when you're wielding a finesse weapon.

To implement that I would probably use a Mechanic and write an eval script that checks whether they have a finesse weapon equipped, then substitutes the DEX mod for the STR mod for those maneuvers. The mechanic would also need to check whether they took Agile Combatant and just quit doing things if they have the feat, since it should do all CMB checks.

I would be happy to provide hosting for WiS v2 once it's ready, but unfortunately my web host's bizarre rules make that impractical. The issue is that they only allow one FTP user per account. So I would either have to give you my password (and thus grant you complete and total access to everything in all of my sites), or else you would have to send the files to me every time you have an update so I can upload them. Which would be annoying for both of us.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm still not getting emails when the thread gets posted to. I'll try re-subscribing to it. Maybe that got lost in an update or something.
wdmartin is offline   #156 Reply With Quote
Shadow_Hawk

Old May 31st, 2021, 06:59 AM
so I took your advice and made it a separate module with different IDs (mammoth island or mi instead of world is square/wis) so that they can be installed side-by-side.

Currently, what I need help with is converting this custom expression for selection to just let you choose the weapon groups instead of weapons from those weapon groups:
Code:
component.BaseWep & !Helper.NoSelect & !component.Specific & !wCategory.Amm?  & !IsWeapon.wCrsRp? & (wFtrGroup.Crossbows | wFtrGroup.Thrown | wCategory.Firearm | Custom.RapidRel)
The other thing I need help with is figuring out how to check that a finesse/light weapon is equipped. Anywhere I can think of that should check for something like that, it just adds a tag to the hero so it can be processed elsewhere.
Shadow_Hawk is offline   #157 Reply With Quote
wdmartin

Old June 2nd, 2021, 10:37 PM
Good, I'm glad you did that. Treating them as separate modules just makes sense.

Let's take a look at that custom expression:

Code:
component.BaseWep # It has to be a weapon
& !Helper.NoSelect # It can't be marked as not selectable
& !component.Specific # not sure what this one does
& !wCategory.Amm? # It cannot be any kind of ammunition
& !IsWeapon.wCrsRp? # not sure what this one does
& ( # It must have any one of the following tags:
wFtrGroup.Crossbows # Part of the crossbows group
| wFtrGroup.Thrown # Part of the thrown weapons group
| wCategory.Firearm # A firearm
| Custom.RapidRel # Weapon is compatible with rapid reload
)
So I guess what you're trying to do is present the user with a choice between Crossbows, Firearms and Thrown weapons?

I just spent a bunch of time trying to figure out how to make the select box show a limited selection of weapon fighter groups, and came up blank. That part was pretty easy with the feats I did, like Weapon Focus etc, because they let you pick from ALL weapon groups. All I had to do was select "Weapon Groups" from the drop down and then the select box was set to fShowWhat.WeaponsGrp and they were all there.

I suspect you need to use a custom expression to populate the list, but I'm not sure quite what it would be. Anyone else care to chime in on that?

As for checking whether a finesse/light weapon is equipped, wouldn't it be something like:

Code:
foreach pick in hero where "wCategory.Melee & (wClass.Light | Helper.Finesse)"
	# Code to do something goes here
nexteach
It would be helpful if you could post your code when you need help. Also, be sure to tell us the end goal. It's easy to get focused on the immediate problem and forget to communicate what the ultimate outcome is supposed to be. There may be some totally different way of approaching the end goal which bypasses the problem you're having -- but we won't know to suggest that if we don't have the full context of what you're doing. Basically, the more info you can provide as part of your question, the better.
wdmartin is offline   #158 Reply With Quote
Shadow_Hawk

Old June 3rd, 2021, 12:20 PM
Got the Agile maneuvers mechanic working properly now, just needed a bit of syntax help with figuring out how to check for specific weapons. I did have to add in a check to see if the matching weapon is equipped though, otherwise what you started with would give them the bonuses just for owning a finesse weapon

Code:
if (#attrmod[aDEX] > #attrmod[aSTR]) then
    foreach pick in hero where "wCategory.Melee & (wClass.Light | Helper.Finesse)"
        if (each.field[gIsEquip].value <> 0) then
            perform hero.child[manDisarm].assign[CMBOver.aDEX]
            perform hero.child[manSunder].assign[CMBOver.aDEX]
            perform hero.child[manTrip].assign[CMBOver.aDEX]
        endif
    nexteach
endif
You are completely correct about what I'm trying to do with that other expression though, I need to give the user those three options for weapon groups instead of all the weapon groups. This is for the Rapid Reload and Point Blank Master feats.

Last edited by Shadow_Hawk; June 3rd, 2021 at 12:35 PM.
Shadow_Hawk is offline   #159 Reply With Quote
karpana

Old August 2nd, 2021, 09:50 AM
Hi There,

Trying to reinstall HL on my new machine, including the WiS Square rules.
When I try to install the WiS Rules ... Herolab throws up a certificate error.

looks like the certificate for meliogeny.net may have expired on July 25th, 2021.
karpana is offline   #160 Reply With Quote