Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Mutants & Masterminds

Notices

atlarman

Send a message via MSN to atlarman Send a message via Yahoo to atlarman

Old August 6th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Hi guys-

Im really hoping someone can clear this up for me cause i cant really see a clear explanation in the corebook... can someone break down for me why there are 3 versoins of attk bonuses....? attk bonus and then melee attk bonus and ranged attk bonus seperately. thanks in advance for showing me.

Now, on to HL question, the bonus that appears next to a particular attk(on the sheet) means said modifer is applied only to the attack(to hit) roll and not to dmg am I correct?

Last edited by atlarman; August 6th, 2010 at 03:51 PM.
atlarman is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 6th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlarman View Post
Hi guys-

Im really hoping someone can clear this up for me cause i cant really see a clear explanation in the corebook... can someone break down for me why there are 3 versoins of attk bonuses....? attk bonus and then melee attk bonus and ranged attk bonus seperately. thanks in advance for showing me.

Now, on to HL question, the bonus that appears next to a particular attk(on the sheet) means said modifer is applied only to the attack(to hit) roll and not too dmg am I correct?
There is your "base level" of Attack Bonus bought on the Abilities tab at a cost of 2 power points per +1. This is like the "base level" of Defense Bonus that can also be bought on the same tab at the same pp/+1 cost. Think of these as showing your overall competance at combat.

Now, if your character is better at attacking with blasts (ranged) than he is with punches or a club (melee) you can reflect this by purchasing the relevant version of the Character Feat: Attack Focus at a cost of 1 pp per +1.

Same is true if he's really good at defending himself by being nimble. You'd reflect this by purchasing the relevant Character Feat: Dodge Focus at a cost of 1 pp per +1. It adds to your DEF but it doesn't help you in those situations where you have been denied the dodge bonus component of your DEF. For example, when you are doing a grapple (you don't get it against those whom you are not grappling) or when you are pinned....thus the discount in cost.

As for the # appearing in the "combat power listing" on the sheet, you are correct, that is the relevant "to hit" bonus. The Save DC number, if relevant, should also be listed there.

I hope that helps clear it up for you,
Nigel Fogg, aka The Wayfarer

Last edited by Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer; August 6th, 2010 at 02:49 PM.
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
atlarman

Send a message via MSN to atlarman Send a message via Yahoo to atlarman

Old August 6th, 2010, 03:46 PM
ok Nigel I think I have it....

Just needed to get this clear in my own head cause im working on a player's character a martial artist lol (sigh) on which he currently bought each attk bonus up to +10 -Which is fine I guess cause it's at the PL LIMIT, then he decides that feats are not enough to reflect his prowess ....(mainly because after he see that all he's left w/was an unarmed Attack I think....lol) so I tell him "um fine ya could do a strike effect w/ mighty power feat and give it the training (martial arts)descriptor on it and if he really wanted to set his character apart i'd allow the 'leathal' extra on it."
So he decides to take strike 7 mighty......with the aforementioned descriptor....which is legal as he has a +3 str bonus.....(but I began to think on it and decided to tell him 7 strike may be a tad unreasonable for a bare knuckled fighter training or no when "power knuckles only give strike 4)
so I wanted to be sure that the attk bonuses- in this case melee- didnt also figure into damage.... even if they had because he'd set his to +10....strike 7 would've been fruitless..... but as i get it now his "strike 4"mighty would earn him a damage bonus of +7 (taking into account his +3 str)?

Last edited by atlarman; August 6th, 2010 at 03:59 PM. Reason: punctuation and capitalization
atlarman is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 6th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlarman View Post
ok Nigel I think I have it....

so I wanted to be sure that the attk bonuses- in this case melee- didnt also figure into damage.... even if they had because he'd set his to +10....strike 7 would've been fruitless..... but as i get it now his "strike 4"mighty would earn him a damage bonus of +7 (taking into account his +3 str)?
Right. A Strike 4 with PF Mighty, and a STR of 16 for a +3 bonus does result in a damage bonus of +7, or in other words, a DC 22 Toughness Save.

Unless someone knows something I don't, in a PL 10 game, your fellow having an Attack Bonus of +10, a STR of 16 and the aforementioned Strike 4 (PF: Mighty) is all perfectly legal.

Technically, in some people's philosophy, he's 3 short on the Attack/Save DC side from being "optimal." I kid because I care.

Nigel Fogg, aka The Wayfarer.
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #4 Reply With Quote