Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Bidmaron

Old March 5th, 2017, 06:20 AM
Can we get a new forum area where we can discuss other things that help with world building that aren't Realmworks? This would be an area where we can discuss things like map building, good source material for use in realm works, and other fantasy gaming topics.
Bidmaron is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old March 5th, 2017, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
Can we get a new forum area where we can discuss other things that help with world building that aren't Realmworks? This would be an area where we can discuss things like map building, good source material for use in realm works, and other fantasy gaming topics.
Agree with the idea, and several other topic type categories to better segregate and traverse information (brought this up years ago when Liz first came on board) but the response then was "that would detract from working on the product, which nobody wants".

With LW limited resources, something like this would probably fall onto a plate already full .. (ie David or Colen I would guess...).

So... unless there is a paradigm shift... what is.. is probably what is....
Though I have approached this on other sites with established members of the community managing that piece as moderators.... but don't see LW going that direction..

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire

Last edited by Dark Lord Galen; March 5th, 2017 at 01:12 PM. Reason: spelling corrections and clarity
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old March 5th, 2017, 01:16 PM
Honestly, start a thread and let the discussion begin. The Dev's are all head's down preparing the content market. I don't think they would mind if we have some healthy discussion about using their tool. It would give people something to focus on instead of counting the beans that pass while waiting for the content market.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old March 5th, 2017, 01:46 PM
Here's one I've been considering for a while, there is a wealth of amazing photographs available now. I've been using them when I thought they were appropriate, particularly for buildings and landscapes. I still wind up using a lot of fantasy art for NPC's.

I don't always get a great reaction from my players when I display a photo. Has anyone else used photos and what was their player's reaction to them?

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old March 5th, 2017, 01:56 PM
I use alot of pictures. My player's have come to expect it. I generally use art (not photos) though of mainly monsters and npcs. My player's really appreciate this and will prompt me if I don't put something up, especially if it's something they have not encountered before.

CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old March 5th, 2017, 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
Here's one I've been considering for a while, there is a wealth of amazing photographs available now. I've been using them when I thought they were appropriate, particularly for buildings and landscapes. I still wind up using a lot of fantasy art for NPC's.

I don't always get a great reaction from my players when I display a photo. Has anyone else used photos and what was their player's reaction to them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
I use alot of pictures. My player's have come to expect it. I generally use art (not photos) though of mainly monsters and npcs. My player's really appreciate this and will prompt me if I don't put something up, especially if it's something they have not encountered before.
Have to agree with Kbs666Daplunk... my players have come to expect it.. we utilize pictures for LOTS of things..
Monsters obviously...
magic items (rings, charms, etc are easy to find in bulk in advertisements such as jewelry stores)
NPCs (Utilizing DAZ I have a nearly endless supply)
Landscapes (utilizing Bryce, and other software)
Flora and Fauna is easily googled to discern tree/ plant types and with alittle creative "photoshoping I can turn a birch tree into a "Bronzewood Dale" by just changing the gamma.

Not to mention we use pictures as hints of past, present, and future in game events and People / Places / Things that they have created an acronym of sorts called PHoTips (Photograph Tips). Correctly identified PhoTips earn "Gamer points" paid in a "currency" that they can "purchase" re-rolls or mundane items. I do this monthly (first game of the new month). Whatever goes unsolved gets archived...with the possibility of that returning somewhere in the future.

As they say.. sometimes a "picture says a thousand words"
DLG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg th (1).jpg (10.9 KB, 80 views)
File Type: png GamerMoney.png (157.4 KB, 81 views)
File Type: png PhoTipPlaces.png (244.8 KB, 79 views)

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old March 5th, 2017, 07:27 PM
Daz... tell me more... show me more. This looks too good to be true. How much have you had to spend on extras?

CC3+ Facebook User Group

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old March 5th, 2017, 07:40 PM
This looks like a bottomless pit of opportunity and cost. Very dangerous.

CC3+ Facebook User Group

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
mazzy

Old March 5th, 2017, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
This looks like a bottomless pit of opportunity and cost. Very dangerous.
DAZ is actually a great tool and comes with plenty of free resources to get started with, if you want to keep costs low. Of course, you could make an initial investment in a model or two and just rehash them for your different npc's. Really depends on how much time you want to put into it

EDIT: I forgot to mention, they have quite a bit of free items in their shop and they are constantly offering some pretty awesome deals.

Last edited by mazzy; March 5th, 2017 at 07:59 PM.
mazzy is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old March 5th, 2017, 08:02 PM
It's getting installed as soon as I get home. Just need to maintain some self-control with this one haha.

CC3+ Facebook User Group

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #10 Reply With Quote