Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Vargr

Old May 3rd, 2015, 10:17 AM
Well, I understood it thusly:

The free version
The user will be able to see a small part of the (revealed) realm.
It could be the current story line.
The GM decides what is shown in the free version (how he does this, I have no idea - maybe by marking a specific view as the one to show in the free version (only the revealed parts) - maybe the GM can only reveal for x MiB worth of data or 100 topics or...)).

The Player Edition
The user will be able to see the entire (revealed) realm.
The GM does not have to do anything.

Disclaimer
The above is pure guesswork on my part.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old May 3rd, 2015, 09:12 PM
I had a similar reaction to that paragraph as MaxSuperNova. How the free Web access works is very important in my decision on whether the cloud subscription will be worth the money. Even if I were what seems to be the more typical DM (or anticipated typical DM) who purchases pre-created adventure modules (which the CM and cloud model seems to be designed for), what "sub-set" of a specific adventure am I sharing? RW (currently) is not syncing live, so—for me—the main value of player access seems to be to act as a historical record that players can reference in and between games. Player access is much less valuable if a player can't see everything I've revealed and I really don't want to add more data-management to my play preparation.

I am starting to question to emphasis on the player version and wonder if a better model would be multiple tiers for the full/DM version. Perhaps charge by the number of players who can set up accounts to access your realm. Why would a player ever buy a players version other then to access a DM's content? I would rather pay X amount to allow X number of players access my realm's revealed info and just have them pay for food on game day than instruct them all to buy player accounts.

I hesitated to write this because I don't want to be seen as jumping to a negative interpretation of Rob's words. I appreciate him taking the time to give us a heads up. Most of his clarification were really good news to me and the nature of the various players versions isn't necessarily bad or good, just unclear to me. This really isn't something that affects me now, so I can wait until the product is released. But if RW is still finessing their pricing model, perhaps this will be some food for thought.
MNBlockHead is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old May 4th, 2015, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockhead
I had a similar reaction to that paragraph as MaxSuperNova. How the free Web access works is very important in my decision on whether the cloud subscription will be worth the money. Even if I were what seems to be the more typical DM (or anticipated typical DM) who purchases pre-created adventure modules (which the CM and cloud model seems to be designed for), what "sub-set" of a specific adventure am I sharing? RW (currently) is not syncing live, so—for me—the main value of player access seems to be to act as a historical record that players can reference in and between games. Player access is much less valuable if a player can't see everything I've revealed and I really don't want to add more data-management to my play preparation.
I hesitated to write this because I don't want to be seen as jumping to a negative interpretation of Rob's words. I appreciate him taking the time to give us a heads up. Most of his clarification were really good news to me and the nature of the various players versions isn't necessarily bad or good, just unclear to me. This really isn't something that affects me now, so I can wait until the product is released. But if RW is still finessing their pricing model, perhaps this will be some food for thought.
I agree with MNH posting, would further add thanks to Rob as well for the time it took to address the topic.
Concise, Detailed (where he could be), Rebutting where needed, Refuting when warranted and most of all Transparent as it should be. THANK YOU
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 4th, 2015, 12:46 PM
I have to ask patience regarding further details on the free web-based player access. It's premature for us to be going into the details on that at this point in time. With the clock not expiring, nobody actually needs that information until further down the line, so we'll provide more info before it's actually needed.

Thanks!
rob is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old May 4th, 2015, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
I have to ask patience regarding further details on the free web-based player access. It's premature for us to be going into the details on that at this point in time. With the clock not expiring, nobody actually needs that information until further down the line, so we'll provide more info before it's actually needed.

Thanks!
Agreed,

BUT one (extending the cloud access) and the other (free access web) aren't the same to the same set of people (as you are certainly aware).

And if the dynamics are premature for revealing those details, that certainly is LWD's call. Presumably "Down the line" is in reference to the Market Place Release and Web Access not that those releases will coincide with cloud access, Right?
Not that I really care personally as all of my players when the time comes would probably have the Player Version.

I'm sure those anxiously anticipating free access via web are desirous of details, and for those it can be said currently you will have more than you have now...

Meaning more beats none.

Last edited by Dark Lord Galen; May 4th, 2015 at 03:12 PM. Reason: My Player Clarification Added
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 4th, 2015, 08:38 PM
We have something we like mapped out at this point. However, it could still morph, so it's premature to talk about it in any detail. Is that a little clearer?
rob is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old May 5th, 2015, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
We have something we like mapped out at this point. However, it could still morph, so it's premature to talk about it in any detail. Is that a little clearer?
I am confused by the word "morph" and does "mapped" mean you are using GPS mapping software from like google earth?

Maybe if you did another post that was much "longer" (Maybe a good page or page and a half) it would be more clear. I know your not busy or anything....

Sorry just being my normal smart*** self....

P.S. - Only 650 more posts until I surpass you Rob!

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old May 6th, 2015, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
I am confused by the word "morph" and does "mapped" mean you are using GPS mapping software from like google earth?
I've looked everywhere and can't seem to locate that GPS button... is it in the set up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
Maybe if you did another post that was much "longer" (Maybe a good page or page and a half) it would be more clear. I know your not busy or anything....

Sorry just being my normal smart*** self....

P.S. - Only 650 more posts until I surpass you Rob!
I agree, a more totally thorough concise detailing is needed, and probably in multiple languages just incase someone in some backward country might have a question. Surely this is something simple, right? Its not like there is code to be written and debugged......

*Snark*
http://forums.wolflair.com/attachmen...1&d=1430941876
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LWD Saving the World.jpg (41.1 KB, 166 views)
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old May 7th, 2015, 06:39 AM
Great stuff Rob, thanks for taking the time.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
RampagingHoardes

Old May 18th, 2015, 11:52 AM
Rob,

Thanks for taking the time to give us an update on how this will work as it has addressed many concerns. There are however a couple things I wasn't clear on and maybe I missed it; if so I apologize.

1. I have grown comfortable using the update service and would like to keep it (if I can figure the funds out) for catastrophic backup purposes. However I do not think I wish to expose my content to the web. Am I required to do this if I subscribe to web services? In other words will my data be automatically accessible via the web or can this be opted out of? Do we have control? What protections will there be in place to deal with Hackers? Once this goes live will all the data suffer the same vulnerabilities no matter whether we choose to subscribe or not?

2. If I understand correctly if you discontinue service you lose what you had on your servers although you have the content locally. Is the data wiped at your end? (if i have a catastrophic failure will the data be left from the point I quit subscribing) Either way what happens if you resume service?

3. Also it seems we can only transfer entire realms of data when this is implemented. Will we be able to transfer topics only at a later date? This would save an enormous amount of time with supplements used across realms. Or do you have to make a separate realm for each supplement and then share it? (which would mean lot of realms)

thanks

Last edited by RampagingHoardes; May 18th, 2015 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Added #3
RampagingHoardes is offline   #20 Reply With Quote