Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

RampagingHoardes

Old April 22nd, 2015, 09:54 AM
Can LWD explain how the synchronization process works in depth? (If this is already somewhere pls point me to it as I didn't find it)

What I really need to understand is, is this a one way process? If not how does it know which to use is it just by timestamp or size or change etc? If I lose my pc and all my data at my end or I had to do a restore what data will I end up with if the server file and my backup are different? Will the server bring the last files from the sync down? I am starting to put a lot of information in RW and want to make sure I don't bone myself out of years of entries at some point.

thanks
RampagingHoardes is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old April 22nd, 2015, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RampagingHoardes View Post
Can LWD explain how the synchronization process works in depth? (If this is already somewhere pls point me to it as I didn't find it)

What I really need to understand is, is this a one way process? If not how does it know which to use is it just by timestamp or size or change etc? If I lose my pc and all my data at my end or I had to do a restore what data will I end up with if the server file and my backup are different? Will the server bring the last files from the sync down? I am starting to put a lot of information in RW and want to make sure I don't bone myself out of years of entries at some point.

thanks
One thing I know for sure, because I just had this happen to me, is if it detects a conflict between your cloud data and your local data, it will ask you which version you want to keep. This is a realm level decision, but for that specific realm, it is an all-or-nothing scenario. You cannot drill-down to specific objects.

You can, however, cancel out so that no decision is made until you investigate further.
EightBitz is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old April 22nd, 2015, 11:42 AM
When we synch, it's by realm, not the whole database of all realms you have created.

I don't know whether synch is actually fully implemented yet but a conversation long ago was that only the bits that change would by synched. I would think this is driven off of local version so if you add or delete from local, that change would be flagged and the next time you synch to cloud those changes would be made. But it could be timestamp on the realm.

Our data files are getting bigger and bigger. Sound and graphic files add to the size considerably. So synching only those things that have changed would reduce synch overhead considerably. Bandwidth is undoubtedly a concern for LoneWolf as it costs $$$ so I'd reckon tuning of synchs will be a higher priority.
AEIOU is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old April 22nd, 2015, 02:25 PM
If you lose your PC, or just completely delete Realmworks, then next time you sync to the server you will be given the entire realm that is stored on the server. There is no reason to try and restore a local backup of the database since everything is on the server (at least everything up to when you last synced with the server).

As EightBitz said, syncing is a one-way process: either you sync your local copy by downloading the latest updates from the server, or you upload your local changes to the server. The direction of sync is automatically chosen based on which database has the most recent changes.
Farling is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old April 22nd, 2015, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
If you lose your PC, or just completely delete Realmworks, then next time you sync to the server you will be given the entire realm that is stored on the server. There is no reason to try and restore a local backup of the database since everything is on the server (at least everything up to when you last synced with the server).
If you're not paying for cloud services then you absolutely need to restore a local backup after reinstalling and doing the initial connection.

This will become important to some folks in another month or so.

Last edited by Parody; April 22nd, 2015 at 02:48 PM.
Parody is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old April 22nd, 2015, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
If you're not paying for cloud services then you absolutely need to restore a local backup after reinstalling and doing the initial connection.

This will become important to some folks in another month or so.

Yep.

Because I'm certainly not interested in paying $40 a year for nothing other than sync.

I don't believe I've received "a $24.99 value" for my 6 months, over and above the $50 I paid for the program.

I'll be backing off and waiting for quite a few more features before I pay any more money.

I keep hoping that LWD will come forward and say "Here's another free 6 months until we get the marketplace and web stuff working!".

Last edited by MaxSupernova; April 22nd, 2015 at 04:21 PM.
MaxSupernova is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
RampagingHoardes

Old April 22nd, 2015, 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSupernova View Post
Yep.

Because I'm certainly not interested in paying $40 a year for nothing other than sync.

I don't believe I've received "a $24.99 value" for my 6 months, over and above the $50 I paid for the program.

I'll be backing off and waiting for quite a few more features before I pay any more money.

I keep hoping that LWD will come forward and say "Here's another free 6 months until we get the marketplace and web stuff working!".
Ok now I am confused. Are you saying that we are already using our "cloud" service from the time of purchase? I thought this started when they got the online store? If that is the case then my stuff isn't backing up when it says it is? Am I misunderstanding the conversation here? It's late :P
RampagingHoardes is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old April 22nd, 2015, 06:30 PM
Sync is not necessarily a 1 way street, especially if you use RW on multiple computers. If you are doing work on multiple computers, I believe the best practice would be to sync your work both before you switch computers and once your done working in RW on a particular computer in order to avoid conflicts.

Anyway, if your using RW on multiple computers under a single account then you need to pay more attention to your syncing habits because you could theoretically have new information in some data on computer A and have new information on another section in computer B and if you sync, you'll have to decide which updated data goes bye bye and you have to recreate it.

The Players Edition is the only place that I can see being a one way sync and even that comes into doubt once Player Notes, Comments and group discussions in RW become fully available.
Viking2054 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old April 22nd, 2015, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RampagingHoardes View Post
Ok now I am confused. Are you saying that we are already using our "cloud" service from the time of purchase? I thought this started when they got the online store? If that is the case then my stuff isn't backing up when it says it is? Am I misunderstanding the conversation here? It's late :P
Our cloud storage time started counting down when sharing was made available and not the store. I don't remember for sure, but I think it started when we were able to invite others with the GM edition to start looking at each others work, although it could of started the day the Player Edition went up for sale. Anyway, your included 6 months of cloud service has been counting down for a little while.
Viking2054 is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
RampagingHoardes

Old April 22nd, 2015, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking2054 View Post
Our cloud storage time started counting down when sharing was made available and not the store. I don't remember for sure, but I think it started when we were able to invite others with the GM edition to start looking at each others work, although it could of started the day the Player Edition went up for sale. Anyway, your included 6 months of cloud service has been counting down for a little while.
Really not happy about this if this how it is. Maybe I misunderstood but I was under the impression that it didn't start until the store was open. Are we seriously going to have to pay just to back up our data? I thought that was considered an original part of RW when I paid for it. I understood the cloud services was going to be the buying and selling of stuff. My household has purchased two copies of this I sure don't want to have to shell out just to back up and to share data amongst my own copies. Anyhow I really hope this isn't the case.

Also - Since we bought two it would be nice not to have to pay for two Cloud accounts as well if we end up wanting to do the buying and selling (maybe they can work with us here?)
RampagingHoardes is offline   #10 Reply With Quote