Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion > Realm Works Early Access Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Tekwych

Old November 20th, 2013, 07:29 AM
Rob I’m sorry. I did not mean my words as an attack on you, the team, or Lone Wolf. My issue is with the tools we all are given, not with your choices. The fact that the two biggest OS authors both ignore open standards whenever they please makes all our lives harder. I do want to a native Mac interface near the top of the punch list but I will watch my tone. Agin I am sorry if my words were misunderstood.

timjthomas if it is a work system and they are using network user accounts ask if you can be given ‘local’ admin rights to a single machine. This would allow the sys admins to maintain superuser control but allow you a small amount of access in one location. That said virtualization on network accounts can lead to strains on system resources beyond normal limits. If a virtual machine doesn’t have legitimate business needs then I would not approve it on a network I was managing.
Tekwych is offline   #21
timjthomas

Old November 20th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Please help me to understand what's necessitating the ability to install without Admin rights. Perhaps there's an alternative work-around that can be exploited to get you fully running with the product...
I'd like to add content to RW during lunch at work. My work machine is a Windows XP with heavy security policies. Nobody has any rights above user. I could bring my MacBook into work, but don't really want to go through all of the approval cycles necessary to bringing a non-work machine into the building.

I tried copying the RW "Program Files" directory over, but it requires a version of .Net we don't have installed here at work. Thus I'd need some kind of a portable installation where everything is self contained (e.g., www.portableapps.com).

I completely understand if it is too much to ask. No worries. I use Word / Text files at work and then simply copy/paste them into EverNote now. Any "database" type access I need or linking I simply do in Excel. Not efficient, but it is all I have to work with.
timjthomas is offline   #22
Bobson

Old November 20th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjthomas View Post
I tried copying the RW "Program Files" directory over, but it requires a version of .Net we don't have installed here at work. Thus I'd need some kind of a portable installation where everything is self contained (e.g., www.portableapps.com).
.NET 4.5 (the latest version) won't run on XP at all, and .NET 4.0 won't unless the machine has XP with SP3 installed.

My company's stuck on .NET 4 because we still have a few legacy XP machines we haven't upgraded yet. Rather frustrating. That may or may not be the problem here, though.
Bobson is offline   #23
davidp
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 20th, 2013, 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobson View Post
.NET 4.5 (the latest version) won't run on XP at all, and .NET 4.0 won't unless the machine has XP with SP3 installed.

My company's stuck on .NET 4 because we still have a few legacy XP machines we haven't upgraded yet. Rather frustrating. That may or may not be the problem here, though.
Realm Works is compiled against .NET 4.0 for this very reason about 4.5 not being available on Windows XP.
davidp is offline   #24
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old November 21st, 2013, 09:51 AM
Yep, same reason for our shop, still have some test environments and clients running XP (and earlier) machines. We want to move on to 4.5, but our client's refuse to upgrade their systems, so we are also stuck with it for the time being. Hell, we still support a version of our software in legacy DOS because we still have 3 clients using it.
Kendall-DM is offline   #25
Aleslosh

Old November 21st, 2013, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weogarth View Post
Rob, somewhere in one of his posts, he was mentioning wanting to use it at work on his lunch break.
...via his thumb drive - if I remember correctly.
Aleslosh is offline   #26
Bobson

Old November 23rd, 2013, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
There are some key omissions that we've run into. I'll need to go dig up that information again from our last Mono assessment, which was at least six months ago. If you don't see an answer here in by the weekend, ping me again. I'm juggling a zillion things right now and find myself dropping the non-critical stuff with some regularity.
This is your weekend reminder ping. Feel free to let it slide another week or two if you need to, though. This isn't an urgent priority for me, and you guys have a lot on your plate.
Bobson is offline   #27