Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

Loyal Bulldog

Old January 15th, 2017, 11:18 PM
Hi,

I'm wondering if there is a way to get a nicer character sheet.

All the information is there, that's awesome, but I miss the layout of the original dnd sheets.

Regards,
Matthias
Loyal Bulldog is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old January 15th, 2017, 11:39 PM
It is possible to make custom sheets apparently. I've no idea how to do it though. No one has tried for 5e to my knowledge.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Loyal Bulldog

Old January 17th, 2017, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the reply.

To bad, maybe it's in the instructies?
Loyal Bulldog is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Alyksandrei

Old January 17th, 2017, 10:13 AM
According to this thread, as of April 2016 the ability to modify or create character sheet layouts was not available for 5e. No idea if it's been added since, but if you'd like to try you can check the various manuals and/or ask for assistance from the people in the Pathfinder section. I expect that the process would be similar if not identical for 5e.
Alyksandrei is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 17th, 2017, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyksandrei View Post
According to this thread, as of April 2016 the ability to modify or create character sheet layouts was not available for 5e. No idea if it's been added since, but if you'd like to try you can check the various manuals and/or ask for assistance from the people in the Pathfinder section. I expect that the process would be similar if not identical for 5e.
That thread has nothing to do with Custom Character Sheets. Its true you can not modify the sheet that comes with HL in the "Print Preview" area. But the Custom Output was designed to allow the ability to make custom sheets.

See THIS post and thread for details. But yes like others have said its NOT a 5 minute thing to do. In no way is it point and click. You will have to learn XSLT.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Loyal Bulldog

Old January 18th, 2017, 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
That thread has nothing to do with Custom Character Sheets. Its true you can not modify the sheet that comes with HL in the "Print Preview" area. But the Custom Output was designed to allow the ability to make custom sheets.

See THIS post and thread for details. But yes like others have said its NOT a 5 minute thing to do. In no way is it point and click. You will have to learn XSLT.
Thanks for the info. Sadly I'm an idiot with things like XSLT.

Is there any reason why LWD would make this so difficult or why they don't make different sheets to select?
Loyal Bulldog is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old January 18th, 2017, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyal Bulldog View Post
Thanks for the info. Sadly I'm an idiot with things like XSLT.

Is there any reason why LWD would make this so difficult or why they don't make different sheets to select?
XSLT is a very popular and heavily documented scripting language. Thousands of sites can help with it including YouTube videos.

From that point of view LWD did not pick a difficult to use feature. They picked one that is the most common in the tech areas of software. Anyone that does almost anything with XML will have exposure to XSLT. So its a great concept I think when more of the forum users where IT people. Heck look at THIS post for a person that just did XSLT for Realm Works export.

I looked at "buying" software to help in making a point and click character sheet. Or spending the time to generate one. To custom make the software was into thousands of hour of coding. Never found a good solution I could buy.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old January 18th, 2017, 12:14 AM
I don't think it's a case that they went out of their way to make it difficult. Just that it was an already difficult process that they left open for us to use. They could have locked it down I imagine. It would likely take a fair bit of time and resources to create something that would be considered user friendly.

As for why they are not available. I for one am not hanging for new sheets. Give me new content, more monsters, more character options, equipment, spells, mounts. These are the things I would like to see more of which means there are two things I personally hope they are doing...
  1. Chasing a license with WOTC
  2. Working with popular 3PP companies to bring us more content

I suspect a number of people would have similar priorities.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
dpmcalister

Old May 30th, 2017, 12:34 PM
I'm working on a custom character sheet for 5e but I can't seem to workout how to find some of the XSL values (specifically speed and saving throws). Can anyone point me in the direction of where I can find such values? Thanks.
dpmcalister is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old July 3rd, 2022, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpmcalister View Post
I'm working on a custom character sheet for 5e but I can't seem to workout how to find some of the XSL values (specifically speed and saving throws). Can anyone point me in the direction of where I can find such values? Thanks.
First Step
Develop Menu > Enable Datafile Debugging

Second Step
Right Click the saving throw > Show debug tags
This will show you what component the saves are handled in. They may be part of the attributes or their own component.

Right Click the saving throw > Show debug fields
Use this to figure out which field you want to output on the sheet.

Once you know these, you can study one of the existing sheets to try to figure out how to modify it for the output to show. Be prepared to spend some serious time looking at the sheet output for the 1st page of a sheet. It's not hard to figure out but you do need to invest some time into it.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #10 Reply With Quote