Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

gloranphile

Old November 21st, 2019, 06:27 AM
So one of the alternatives offered on another thread to RW was YARPS, which is doing a Kickstarter now and has beta access.

Has anyone used it yet and if so, how intuitive/useful as an alternative to RW did you find it?

D100 for life!
gloranphile is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Grey Mage

Old November 21st, 2019, 06:54 AM
It is still in Kickstarter mode at the moment... but one of the things they are looking at in their idea hub is migration of RW data into YARPS.
Grey Mage is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Hitchhiker

Old November 21st, 2019, 07:23 AM
I have backed the project in hopes of throwing most if not all of my votes behind migrations tools to convert RW.
Hitchhiker is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Cammagno

Old November 29th, 2019, 02:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker View Post
I have backed the project in hopes of throwing most if not all of my votes behind migrations tools to convert RW.
Same here
Cammagno is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old November 21st, 2019, 10:10 AM
I'm not impressed by the prototype and to be blunt, a project that has raised $16k and had a goal of only $5k shows that the lead(s) have no idea what software development costs.

Sure anyone with a little knowledge can whip up a browser app in a couple of days but that is no indication of the time, and therefore money, required to get a complete project.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old November 21st, 2019, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
I'm not impressed by the prototype and to be blunt, a project that has raised $16k and had a goal of only $5k shows that the lead(s) have no idea what software development costs.

Sure anyone with a little knowledge can whip up a browser app in a couple of days but that is no indication of the time, and therefore money, required to get a complete project.
When I did a search, they tried previously in June 2018 when it did not reach it's target. This year's target was set as half of last year's.

Maybe it is another sign of the available audience for such tools.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Cammagno

Old November 29th, 2019, 02:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post

You payed little attention to their kickstarter.
The kickstarter campaign IS NOT to found development cost of Yarps, that is internally covered by their company's money.

Kickstarter founding is asked to spead up the realease, according to a clearly shown timeline. Even if it haven't been founded, it would have been release in 2021; according to how much it raises, they can devote more dev time to its development, and it will be released earlier, or much earlier.
I think it's a very clever thing to do, and that a similar thing has to be done by LW to found further development of RW, just to say.

Speaking of the prototype, I like it. Sure it has to improve a lot, but it's in a pre-alpha phase, and it's already usable and rather interesting.

And, a thing that is very important for me, they are really very responsive to the community's imput.

Last edited by Cammagno; November 29th, 2019 at 03:10 AM.
Cammagno is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old November 29th, 2019, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammagno View Post
You payed little attention to their kickstarter.
The kickstarter campaign IS NOT to found development cost of Yarps, that is internally covered by their company's money.

Kickstarter founding is asked to spead up the realease, according to a clearly shown timeline. Even if it haven't been founded, it would have been release in 2021; according to how much it raises, they can devote more dev time to its development, and it will be released earlier, or much earlier.

I think it's a very clever thing to do, and that a similar thing has to be done by LW to found further development of RW, just to say.
Heh. LoneWolf said almost exactly the same thing. Direct from the RealmWorks Kickstarter:
Quote:
Unlike many software Kickstarters, initial Realm Works development is nearly complete.
We've been evolving Realm Works for over three years and will be releasing it in July, 2013. Numerous features are already in place, as we demonstrate in the video, but there are many more we want to include in the initial release. Your support of this Kickstarter will allow us to accelerate our current development efforts so we can pack more features into the product in time for its public release.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Cammagno

Old November 29th, 2019, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidhc O Casain View Post
Heh. LoneWolf said almost exactly the same thing. Direct from the RealmWorks Kickstarter:
Sure, and it was a good idea.

I've no problem with what LW did then, I've problems with the choices they mede later on...
Cammagno is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old November 30th, 2019, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammagno View Post
Sure, and it was a good idea.

I've no problem with what LW did then, I've problems with the choices they mede later on...
It was a good idea, but that's not why I posted it. Maybe the YARPS folks will do better - I hope so, and sincerely wish them well. But I posted that as an illustration of why I won't be shelling out another $150 on another Kickstarter with the premise of "it's already mostly finished..." Cool me once...
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #10 Reply With Quote