Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Shadowrun
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Canis

Send a message via MSN to Canis

Old June 28th, 2012, 06:28 PM
After spending the last couple of days concentrating on matrix attributes for one of my characters, and creating the Frost Module, I've come to understand how HL uses 'rating' better, and I believe there's some confusion between Rating and Device Rating.

The easiest example is cyberware since it's spelt out on SR4A page 222, but it applies to other things too.

First example: Cybereyes. I plan on adding Low-Light, Thermographic, Vision Magnification, Vision Enhancement Rating 3, Flare Compensation, Protective Covers and Smartlink. This adds up to 11 capacity points, which means to fit it all in the Cybereyes need to be Rating 3. The table on page 222 says that 'headware' is 'average' so has a Device Rating of 3. However, as I increase the grade of these same Cybereyes, the Device Rating increases until finally at Deltagrade these same Cybereyes with the same mods are a 'cutting edge' device with a Device Rating of 6.

Device Rating is defined on page 222 as a single stat used for all Matrix Attributes. This means that a standard grade set of Cybereyes has Response, Signal, System and Firewall of 3 (and thus a max of 5 once upgraded). If I add those eyes at Deltagrade then Response, Signal, System and Firewall are now 6 (upgradable to 8, once War! is implemented). Now granted why'd you want to run any cyberware above Signal 0 I don't know but you can.

I'm going through and making my combat shaman hacker proof, using the advice from Unwired. This suggests that you front load the Firewall to as high as possible, encrypt the node, and slave it to your 'link. And run IC (hence why I created the Frost, allows heavily cybered characters a little peace of mind). Slaving isn't an issue, but having high rating Firewalls on an Ares Alpha for example is a challenge since HL lists it as a Rating 1 device with no way of upgrading it fully, and thus your Firewall is maxed at 3.

Thankfully my combat shaman uses mostly custom guns, which I've specified specific matrix attributes. But an MGL-6 or his Weapon Focus telescoping staff are different entirely.

I suspect tracking Rating and Device Rating could get a bit difficult, and having Device Rating seperated out in HL will probably be equally difficult. But I thought I'd bring it up just in case - especially as this could well be important for the street sams amongst us (cos they kinda dislike having their Wired Reflexes turned off, cybereyes shut down and smartlinked gun set to perma-safety).
Canis is offline   #1 Reply With Quote