Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

ruhar

Old December 1st, 2018, 10:54 PM
I noticed the Individual topic has a Reference snippet and started using it. While running a game I realized how helpful this would be in all topics. I use modules so it would help to know what page that room or item or whatever came from. It could be also used to note the page number of a rules book. And I'm sure those talented enough to create their own worlds might find a use for it. So I would like to have all topics have a Reference snippet at the top.

For those who would point out that I could add it on my own (you know who you are), yes I can. But, if it's already there everyone using RW may decide to include a reference when they see it. If they don't want it then it's stripped when a Quick Edit to Remove Empty Snippets and Sections is done.
ruhar is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old December 2nd, 2018, 04:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhar View Post
For those who would point out that I could add it on my own (you know who you are), yes I can. But, if it's already there everyone using RW may decide to include a reference when they see it. If they don't want it then it's stripped when a Quick Edit to Remove Empty Snippets and Sections is done.
More importantly, if it's there as a standard item, perhaps the Content Market official content will have it, and I agree that is a critical element.
Bidmaron is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old December 2nd, 2018, 06:46 AM
Why? If the person who imported the material into RW did their job why do you need to look up the same material in the PDF? Ultimately it's just more bloat of the category definition and if it makes people happy great but this seems really pointless. I thought the point of having content in RW was to not be referring to the PDF all the time.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old December 2nd, 2018, 09:01 AM
If the converters never made any mistakes, that might be the case, but they do make mistakes, and the page reference is good for you to check when you can tell something looks goofy.
Bidmaron is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old December 2nd, 2018, 10:57 AM
The irony of bashing the data input people and then counting on them to get this right.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old December 2nd, 2018, 06:10 PM
I am doing neither. That is why I want the page references.
Bidmaron is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old December 2nd, 2018, 09:26 PM
In my Paranoia realm's Categories I added a Source snippet type. Source is a single selection Tag snippet; the Tag is the book/adventure/etc. name, the pages go in the text box. Many Topics/Articles have multiple Source snippets as things are added from different places. Because of how Paranoia works they often have two sets of Source snippets: one set for Red Clearance/the Players, one set for Ultraviolet/the GM. That's not something you'd do in general, though.

This is a slightly different setup from the Reference snippet, which is a Labeled Text and may not have been put in all of the Game Systems for Individuals, much less every Category. I wanted a "dropdown" and didn't have to worry about having 1,000 different sourcebooks. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
Why?
As a world/adventure designer, I put it in there so I could refer back to the original sources in context. When you're combining multiple overlapping printed sources and (perhaps) also customizing it for your own world it helps when you can go back and see what came from where, what you might have dropped, etc.

As a GM, if I were running something like Pathfinder I'd use it during the game to tell the players where they can look up the rules for whatever random thing they've found/were asking about/got affected by/etc. in their physical books or PDFs. Not all players are going to use electronic devices, much less Realm Works, so it helps if you can give that to them easily.

Last edited by Parody; December 2nd, 2018 at 09:33 PM.
Parody is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old December 3rd, 2018, 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
As a GM, if I were running something like Pathfinder I'd use it during the game to tell the players where they can look up the rules for whatever random thing they've found/were asking about/got affected by/etc. in their physical books or PDFs. Not all players are going to use electronic devices, much less Realm Works, so it helps if you can give that to them easily.
Indeed, my player's would love that!
Merion is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old December 3rd, 2018, 01:34 PM
Parody that is exactly how I do it now with the tag and the page number in the box
Bidmaron is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
ibecker

Old December 5th, 2018, 11:52 AM
I do the same thing: A single-tag "Source" snippet with the page number in the text box.

-Ian
ibecker is offline   #10 Reply With Quote