Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

nightpanda2810

Old January 17th, 2017, 10:49 AM
LOVE the linking feature, but one thing seems missing.

I'm envisioning creating a list of items similar to the current linking capabilities, but instead of linking to the page within RW it opens a browser to the specified page.

Is this possible?
nightpanda2810 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old January 17th, 2017, 02:34 PM
Well you can just insert hyperlinks, but what you want is kind of an automatice redirect to a webpage?!

So for example, whenever you type the word "cleric" you want it to link to here: http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/c...es/cleric.html

hmm... could be handy to have a list such redirect somewhere. But even if the devs think the same way, it probably will be low on the list of priorities, seeing what they have on their plate right now.

But nice idea, can't hurt to add it to the backlog.
Merion is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
nightpanda2810

Old January 18th, 2017, 03:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merion View Post
Well you can just insert hyperlinks, but what you want is kind of an automatice redirect to a webpage?!

So for example, whenever you type the word "cleric" you want it to link to here: http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/c...es/cleric.html

hmm... could be handy to have a list such redirect somewhere. But even if the devs think the same way, it probably will be low on the list of priorities, seeing what they have on their plate right now.

Exactly! Much better explained than I did lol.
nightpanda2810 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old January 18th, 2017, 08:50 AM
Quote:

That's pretty much what the Mechanics articles are for.. adding the appropriate reference materials to Realm Works so they can be auto-linked.

While it may sound like a good idea on first blush, when you think about the details, it may be less so.

There are several problems with auto-linking to external sources:
  1. The URL may become broken over time
  2. The chosen resource may not be appropriate for the rules being used (Pathfinder references vs D&D 5e vs D&D 4e vs Star Wars, etc.)
  3. The chosen resource may be one that the GM does not wish to use (d20pfsrd vs PRD vs Archives of Nethys)
  4. If the topic is to be scanned for potential keyword matches to external sources, saving changes could take forever
  5. Suggesting external sources would increase the number of "Ignore" clicks required on pretty much every save of every topic (which is one reason why some people may not want to add Mechanics articles to their Realms at all) (Related to #4)
  6. Increased workload for LWD developers maintaining/ curating the lists of matches (necessary to deal with #2) leading to reduced progress on anything else in Realm Works
  7. Widespread use of external links inside Realm Works would make it more dependent upon having an internet connection at all times (or the links will be useless), which is only attractive to some users.
Silveras is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old January 18th, 2017, 10:20 AM
Srd content is generally very reliable, and I think this at least should be an option. If you don't want auto-link then you should at least have the ability to select text and look it up on a realm-set default web site for those quick rules lookups without having them in your database
Bidmaron is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old January 18th, 2017, 10:46 AM
I second what Silveras wrote. I used to link to sources on the web much more, now I try to just copy and past into RW. The exception is certain fantasy-name generation sites, language translations sites, and other interactive resouces that are vey helpful during game but not something you can just cut and past.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old January 18th, 2017, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
That's pretty much what the Mechanics articles are for.. adding the appropriate reference materials to Realm Works so they can be auto-linked.

While it may sound like a good idea on first blush, when you think about the details, it may be less so.

There are several problems with auto-linking to external sources:
  1. The URL may become broken over time
  2. The chosen resource may not be appropriate for the rules being used (Pathfinder references vs D&D 5e vs D&D 4e vs Star Wars, etc.)
  3. The chosen resource may be one that the GM does not wish to use (d20pfsrd vs PRD vs Archives of Nethys)
  4. If the topic is to be scanned for potential keyword matches to external sources, saving changes could take forever
  5. Suggesting external sources would increase the number of "Ignore" clicks required on pretty much every save of every topic (which is one reason why some people may not want to add Mechanics articles to their Realms at all) (Related to #4)
  6. Increased workload for LWD developers maintaining/ curating the lists of matches (necessary to deal with #2) leading to reduced progress on anything else in Realm Works
  7. Widespread use of external links inside Realm Works would make it more dependent upon having an internet connection at all times (or the links will be useless), which is only attractive to some users.
Ah, you think this is supposed to be hard-wired in? I understood the OP so, that the GM has to define this link behavior once manually and after that RW always links there.
To stay with my example above, I'd expect the GM to insert a hyperlink for the word "cleric" and then check a box "always link there" and in the future everytime the word "cleric" is typed it links to the webpage.
Merion is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
nightpanda2810

Old January 19th, 2017, 02:46 AM
Quote:
Ah, you think this is supposed to be hard-wired in? I understood the OP so, that the GM has to define this link behavior once manually and after that RW always links there.
To stay with my example above, I'd expect the GM to insert a hyperlink for the word "cleric" and then check a box "always link there" and in the future everytime the word "cleric" is typed it links to the webpage.
Yes, this is what I mean. I do agree that having a built-in set of links would be impractical.
nightpanda2810 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote