Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

buddahcjcc

Old October 22nd, 2015, 01:07 PM
Since noone's posted in the windows 10 thread since june and theres conversation going on here at least in the past month, Im gonna ask for help here instead:

So I have win 10, and since win 10 came out Ive had an issue with hero labs going nonresponsive when I get it to do something. The worst case of this is when I hit to increase a skill and it takes upwards of a minute for it to respond (which can sound not so bad, but when youre making a character with upwards of 62 skill points and you get to the point where thats an hour or so JUST to put in the skills, not including any time where I want to change my mind -.-

But its also happening any time I hit any tab along the top. It doesnt crash, it just doesnt do anything and when I ctrl alt delete to see whats going on, in task manager it says its "not responding" but if I let it continue, eventually, it will start responding again.

I have a lot of patience, and Ive made about 6 or 7 characters with it like this (I just alt tab out and do something else while Im waiting for it to figure itself out) but this is getting annoying even for me. Im running win 10 64 bit which makes me think that may be the issue as I only have 32bit HL. IS there a 64 bit HL somewhere?

Well that and any time windows goes through an update, I have to renew my license for HL cause it thinks Ive reinstalled my OS but the support ppl have been amazing about that.

My PC:
64 bit windows 10 Home (I cant find the version because in "about your PC" it just says Windows 10 Hiome)
AMD FX-4100 Quad Core, X64 based processor
8.00 GB (Ripjaws) RAM
2 TB hard drive (non solid state, so what Ive always called a regular HD)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760

Any help would be great thx.

Id fraps it to show the problem but I cant get fraps to work for anything outside of a game

Last edited by buddahcjcc; October 22nd, 2015 at 02:01 PM.
buddahcjcc is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old October 22nd, 2015, 02:11 PM
Well, all I can say is that I am running Windows 10 Home 64-bit on both my desktop and laptop PCs (regular release, not Insider edition) and have had no issues with Hero Lab since I finished the Windows upgrades.

On the other hand, I have Intel processors in both (integrated graphics in the laptop and NVIDIA in the desktop) so I suppose it could be an AMD issue. Still, I'd think if that were the case it would show up in other places.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds

Last edited by charlieluce; October 22nd, 2015 at 02:12 PM. Reason: lovely typos
charlieluce is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
buddahcjcc

Old October 22nd, 2015, 02:19 PM
Im uploading a video so you can see what Im seeing and maybe itll help? Its two minutes long and I was able to change tabs three times (one was a minute wait) and try to change a skill by two points (but that part ran out of time)

Any idea what I can do as far as diagnosing the issue? Ive had this PC with the same processor 3 years and it was only after upgrading that this became an issue
buddahcjcc is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
buddahcjcc

Old October 22nd, 2015, 02:20 PM
https://youtu.be/hRTAnmDa3eQ

thats the video, on Youtube

As an aside, I dont get why weapon focus is red... He's a gunslinger, so he's proficient with a revolver but at the bottom it says the feat was taken without the proficiency

And I have no issues with other games/programs. Ive uninstalled and reinstalled, no results, Ive uninstalled and deleted everything with the name hero labs off my HD and then reinstalled, same, no dice

Last edited by buddahcjcc; October 22nd, 2015 at 02:25 PM.
buddahcjcc is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
liz
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 22nd, 2015, 02:31 PM
@buddahcjcc, if you haven't already, please contact our support team with all this information (including the video). We'll make sure that this gets to the right person.
liz is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 22nd, 2015, 02:38 PM
Hero Lab taking that long is definitely not normal. I've heard that Windows 10 can mess up your power settings, which slows your CPU to a crawl so it can save power. When you email support, please check your power settings and let us know which power plan your computer is running under. Thanks!
Colen is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
buddahcjcc

Old October 22nd, 2015, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz View Post
@buddahcjcc, if you haven't already, please contact our support team with all this information (including the video). We'll make sure that this gets to the right person.
Sent. Hope someone can figure out the issue XD
buddahcjcc is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old October 22nd, 2015, 02:39 PM
Are you receiving normal Windows 10 updates or are you on the "fast track" version where you get early beta patches?
Farling is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
buddahcjcc

Old October 22nd, 2015, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
Are you receiving normal Windows 10 updates or are you on the "fast track" version where you get early beta patches?

Neither, I shut it off cause every time it updates, I have to get my license renewed because HL thinks Ive reinstalled the OS.

I WAS part of the insider thing but I turned that off as soon as it went live. Ive had the issue as long as Ive had windows 10.

And as for the power question, Im on balanced (recommended)
buddahcjcc is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
AndrewD2

Old October 22nd, 2015, 03:15 PM
I can say I've noticed a lot of slow in Pathfinder in the editor since my update to Windows 10. Sometimes just opening something and clicking "select none" to remove a specific set of tags will freeze the editor for 30-45 seconds. Clicking between editor tabs takes forever (again about 30 seconds).
AndrewD2 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote