Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > Hero Lab Online Discussion

Notices

rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 20th, 2020, 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyteach View Post
I think @markelphoenix is onto something here. For playing around a table, with everyone on HLO and linked to the campaign, then some of the functionality may be useful. However, for a VTT, the dice rolling and encounters are already set up. So, while CT may be useful for in person play, there's a different paradigm for integrating with a VTT (and, quite frankly, I believe quite a bit less work if we stick with the bread and butter character generator/tracker). We don't need/want to recreate encounters, stat blocks, and rolls outside of the VTT when we're online.
This argument runs counter to many of the comments littered across these forums, where users lament how poorly things like dice rollers behave within some VTTs. There is also the question of the level of granularity provided by dice rollers. For example, our dice roller breaks down damage rolls into all of their constituent elements (e.g. 5 point slashing plus 4 point fire). We can also toggle criticals on/off without losing the original roll. This has all been designed with an eye to the future, where we'll be able to automatically detect resistances and apply those appropriately. The VTTs don't even have the necessary information to manage all of that, but we do, so we can leverage it to further streamline all the bookkeeping for a game.

That's just the dice roller. There are many other aspects where CT will be able to do things that VTTs simply cannot hope to do, unless they want to start tracking all of the gory details for each game system they support.
rob is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 20th, 2020, 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
For me, the main benefit of HL was that it would dynamically update all the stats when a character received a buff or debuff. The added benefit to this for HLO is that a group buff can (in the future?) be applied as a single action, rather than having to edit each character individually.

When GMing, I've always run the monsters from within HL, never using whatever map system is being used for live or online play; for the same reasons, that PCs can debuff monsters and all the stats will be updated live.

For me, Integration of HLO with a VTT would allow the HP to be displayed on the character's token (effectively providing a health bar for other players to see the party member's health).
^^^ THIS ^^^ is the driving concept behind HLO, Campaign Theater, and ultimately VTT integration.
rob is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 20th, 2020, 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieluce View Post
Since I'm running Pathfinder Second, I haven't had a lack of content issue. I realize that I'm lucky that way; way back when I originally got Hero Lab it was for Mutants & Masterminds, and it used to drive me crazy that M&M bugs were not getting fixed while there was a steady release of material and fixes for Pathfinder.
This is an unfortunate reality of RPG software. There are the bigger ones that bring in the revenue and the ones that we support simply because we love the games. The ones that pay the bills need to be given priority so that we can later devote the time to the ones that don't. If all we cared about was making money, half the games we've supported over the years never would have been touched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieluce View Post
As for the bigger question, I could be wrong but it looks to me that the same functionality that is being developed for VTT integration will also contribute to things like customized character sheets and character export/import, which I think are good things even if I never try my hand at doing a simple MapTool framework.
That's exactly the idea. The same mechanism should support both purposes.
rob is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
markelphoenix

Old July 23rd, 2020, 04:38 AM
Thank you for your replies.

In regards to prioritization of game setting source books,
is there anyway to crowd source materials? So people could use unofficial 'compilations' from the community or 'home brew' while we wait for the official implementation?
markelphoenix is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
bruuuuuu

Old July 23rd, 2020, 06:32 AM
There is currently no user-accessible editor for data files, or content of any sort, which can be used outside of a single character for one user. For a single character, there are a variety of custom items and abilities you can add, along with manual adjustments to the character, but nothing more formal than that yet.
bruuuuuu is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 23rd, 2020, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruuuuuu View Post
There is currently no user-accessible editor for data files, or content of any sort, which can be used outside of a single character for one user. For a single character, there are a variety of custom items and abilities you can add, along with manual adjustments to the character, but nothing more formal than that yet.
Something which I definitely hope will change in the future since one of the great advantages of Hero Lab (and one of the things that helped let Lone Wolf support some of the less popular systems) was the editing system. It let GMs create their own custom material for their campaigns and it let users submit fixes, expansions, and the like for supplemental material.
Duggan is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
Sylverlock

Old July 24th, 2020, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
[*]Pathfinder 2E Advanced Player’s Guide – On track to release at the end of July, in time for GenConOnline
I was wondering, do you had a firm release date for the APG yet? I've got my PDF from Paizo and I'm signed up to play GenCon Online in 6 days and I need to make a new character. I really would love to have HLO help me with that. Any update?
Sylverlock is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 24th, 2020, 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duggan View Post
Something which I definitely hope will change in the future since one of the great advantages of Hero Lab (and one of the things that helped let Lone Wolf support some of the less popular systems) was the editing system. It let GMs create their own custom material for their campaigns and it let users submit fixes, expansions, and the like for supplemental material.
This is vastly harder within HLO than Classic for one very simple reason. We need to safeguard against user errors with PERFECT success. HLO is a shared resource on a common server that all users access. If a user error is not caught, it can cause everything to fail for everyone. Within Classic, the only one impacted by a user error is the user himself. Not within HLO.

This gets even more complex due HL scripting being an pretty powerful language. For example, it would be trivial in a script to introduce an infinite loop. It's also quite possible to accomplish that in a non-obvious way that spans multiple scripts and procedures. Obviously, an infinite loop would completely screw all other users on the server at that time, so we'd have to detect such errors and deal with them in some reasonable way that doesn't negatively impact the system while giving reasonable feedback to the creating user.

That's just one basic example of hundreds (perhaps thousands) that need to be dealt with.

We've made some inroads towards this goal, but we still have a LOT of work yet to do. So this is something that's still quite a ways off from being exposed to users.

As an interim solution, we've been providing significantly more flexibility to let users customize elements of characters directly within the product, which I believe has greatly reduced the need for the editing system. We have more enhancements along these lines planned, which should allow users to more readily fill in the remaining gaps.
rob is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 24th, 2020, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylverlock View Post
I was wondering, do you had a firm release date for the APG yet? I've got my PDF from Paizo and I'm signed up to play GenCon Online in 6 days and I need to make a new character. I really would love to have HLO help me with that. Any update?
The street date for the book is this Thursday, so you should be able to get it in the wee hours of Thursday morning.

Based on where things stand today, it looks like we'll have about 95% of the book ready for Thursday. The few remaining bits should be available the following Wednesday in an update.
rob is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
Snow Crash

Old July 25th, 2020, 10:56 PM
Just generally disappointed. Was a long time supporter of herolab classic while playing pathfinder 1.
Was not excited to hear about switching to an online supscription based service. But gave you the benefit of the doubt and signed up when we started playing Shadowrun 6.

i understand things are difficult on your end. But understand it from my point. You've happily taken my money and the money of all my players and yet support has dwindled rapidly and I am left in limbo with a character generator that has only partial functionality. Players begging to use equipment and options that have been out for several gaming sessions now but can't unless we go back to manually adding the options with a pen and paper which begs the question, why are we paying you money?
Snow Crash is offline   #30 Reply With Quote