Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > Hero Lab Online Discussion

Notices

dballing

Old October 26th, 2021, 08:12 AM
Perhaps I've been under a rock, but this announcement seems.... bad in general? ... for HLO, as it seems like it would disincentivize Paizo from cooperating with something that competes with them.

https://app.demiplane.com/nexus/pathfinder2e
dballing is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
MarcelGM

Old October 26th, 2021, 09:55 AM
They mention their relationship is unchanged with their existing partners but yeah this is a direct competitor to HLO.
MarcelGM is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old October 26th, 2021, 03:07 PM
It looks like the equivalent of dndbeyond, but for pathfinder.

Not surprising since the chief designer is the guy who created dndbeyond.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
marroon69

Old October 26th, 2021, 06:16 PM
Well it will be interesting how this goes...it seems like a much more complete platform then HLO but the marketing always looks good. I guess we will have to wait and see
marroon69 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old October 26th, 2021, 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marroon69 View Post
Well it will be interesting how this goes...it seems like a much more complete platform then HLO but the marketing always looks good. I guess we will have to wait and see
I'm interested in what makes it a "much more complete platform". The announcement talks about a rules compendium and video chat (both of which are already available for free) along with a character builder. If there has been any mention of an NPC/Monster builder or a Combat manager, then I've missed it, and that's what I use HLO for.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
dacoobob

Old October 27th, 2021, 06:10 AM
excellent, some competition in the space is exactly what's needed imo.
dacoobob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Darius Silverbolt

Old October 27th, 2021, 07:33 AM
They left out Starfinder and LWD still hasn't put out AP content passed the 3rd AP. The writing is on the wall of SF online tools it seems.
Darius Silverbolt is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
mototom

Old October 27th, 2021, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dballing View Post
Perhaps I've been under a rock, but this announcement seems.... bad in general? ... for HLO, as it seems like it would disincentivize Paizo from cooperating with something that competes with them.

https://app.demiplane.com/nexus/pathfinder2e
Based on the announcement, it sounds like another licensed venture. So Paizo isn't competing with HLO. They've licensed another partner to make another set of tools. There's no reason to believe Paizo won't continue to support existing partners.

That being said, LWD seems to be having a hard time keeping up with the content being issued. If another character builder is coming, I hope it encourages LWD to step up the pace.

I'm playing in Strength of Thousands and hate having to track elements of the school outside HLO. I've given up on Campaign Theater mostly. If the shared elements ever showed up, like group loot, the ability to give things to other party members, the ability to cast spells and have recipients elect to accept the affects and have them applied automatically (and have those effects count down and end automatically), the ability to apply damaging effect—the potential is just enormous. (And please, just give me the ability to buy apprentice slots and assign them to players. I'm happy to pay for my group.)

The promise of subscriptions was that a continuous revenue stream would allow more consistent, rapid development, and an online model reduced the necessity to code for multiple platforms. The promise hasn't really been realized so far. I buy everything PF2-related the moment it's released. I'm ready to buy more stuff. It just doesn't exist yet. I'm frustrated and I'm not even really playing Starfinder. If I was a Starfinder regular I'd be super irritated.

I wish there were some way to help; I can data enter with the best of them. I don't think the opaqueness of their roadmap helps, either. If they'd publish their backlog and let people vote on feature requests and content requests, maybe they'd at least have more insight into where their efforts would satisfy the most people.

I do hope that LWD manages to get development caught up and back on track at some point.
mototom is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
MarcelGM

Old October 27th, 2021, 03:55 PM
Seems as if they won't be launching with an encounter builder but its something they plan on implementing.

They will support homebrew customization and mentioned 3rd party later.

They don't appear to have a way to share content like HLO has
MarcelGM is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
marroon69

Old October 28th, 2021, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieluce View Post
I'm interested in what makes it a "much more complete platform". The announcement talks about a rules compendium and video chat (both of which are already available for free) along with a character builder. If there has been any mention of an NPC/Monster builder or a Combat manager, then I've missed it, and that's what I use HLO for.
Like I said this is still vaporware...having an integrated rules compendium would be nice if it is linked to character options. Jsut having a searchable rules does not provide enough value To me that is more important then voice and video, or even the art. As new people start there is a ton of content that needs to gone though to understand the game. So hopefully they can work to make it an easier experience. That is my hope....but once again this is still vaporware and may be nothing.
marroon69 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote