Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

MadCartographer

Old June 12th, 2021, 05:54 AM
I have started to to map the WLD to put into a VTT because the current images (on DriveThruRPG) has all the DM stuff and I need to present it to my players without that on the maps.

I am also putting WLD in Realm Works so I can run it for my players.

It's a huge undertaking but should be fun.

Here is what I have so far for the map... (the red lines are for reference).
Attached Images
File Type: png WLD Part.png (155.4 KB, 27 views)
MadCartographer is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old June 12th, 2021, 12:09 PM
There were similar efforts back in the day as the actual printed maps were for the GM, but they may not have survived this long (or wouldn't be very nice at VTT sizes).

When I was running it I was drawing the encounters on a Chessex mat and giving the players "redacted" printouts of scans of the map so they didn't have to map everything themselves. Didn't finish the thing, but it was fun trying to make it more than just a bunch of fights.

Parody is online now   #2 Reply With Quote
MadCartographer

Old June 12th, 2021, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
There were similar efforts back in the day as the actual printed maps were for the GM, but they may not have survived this long (or wouldn't be very nice at VTT sizes).

When I was running it I was drawing the encounters on a Chessex mat and giving the players "redacted" printouts of scans of the map so they didn't have to map everything themselves. Didn't finish the thing, but it was fun trying to make it more than just a bunch of fights.
Since I am playing in a VTT, I need to make the maps for it, (and I love to map), so this is just fun all the way around. My players are all over Calif so a VTT is the only way for us to play.

RW, For the input for Realm Works, I am using Dragon Naturally Speaking Software, so I "read it" and it gets typed in, so it's quick and easy.

I am testing Map A to be sure it works right in a VTT, and I get all the rooms right, hard to do since the originals are very small squared, but as long as it's close, I'm good to go.

I like large projects so this should be fun. I'll attach another pic of what I have so far, this is only about 4 hours of work.
Attached Images
File Type: png Region A.PNG (341.4 KB, 21 views)
MadCartographer is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Bobson

Old July 17th, 2021, 10:43 PM
Oh wow, that brings back memories.

<digression>
I ran a group through WLD in 2005-2006. I created "player" maps by taking the official one-section maps, loading them into AppleWorks, and then covering each room with gray background objects so they blended in. I projected that on the wall, and would delete the covering sections when my players moved into a new room. So they got the room numbers and such, although I probably did something I don't remember for secret doors. Covered them with copied sections of wall, maybe?

I still have each session's map, but they're in the process of succumbing to digital decay - there's apparently only one program that will run on a semi-modern mac that can still read cwk files, and even that only in a "retro" version. I probably should decide if they're worth recovering before I can't...
</digression>

I do wish I'd had the tools to do this back then. Kudos to you for recreating those hundreds of rooms!
Bobson is offline   #4 Reply With Quote