Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Jiriki13

Old February 12th, 2014, 08:45 AM
I want to know if this program is going to also be like a virtual table top program? I think the features sound pretty good so far, but I could figure out if this is or isn't going to be usable as a virtaul table top type program.
Jiriki13 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
liz
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 12th, 2014, 09:00 AM
Realm Works is not built to replace a VTT program, and that's not the direction we're going right now. It's possible we could go that route, but right now we see Realm Works as complementary to VTT programs and not in competition with them. Hero Lab already has integration with various VTT products, and we'd like to work with VTT companies to do the same with Realm Works.

If we ever decide to enter the VTT space with Realm Works, it will likely be in response to user demand and due to other VTT tools not meeting user needs.

I hope this answers your questions!
liz is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
monsterfurby

Old February 12th, 2014, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz View Post
Realm Works is not built to replace a VTT program, and that's not the direction we're going right now. It's possible we could go that route, but right now we see Realm Works as complementary to VTT programs and not in competition with them. Hero Lab already has integration with various VTT products, and we'd like to work with VTT companies to do the same with Realm Works.

If we ever decide to enter the VTT space with Realm Works, it will likely be in response to user demand and due to other VTT tools not meeting user needs.

I hope this answers your questions!
I actually find this encouraging. It's good to know that you're focusing on this being a campaign management tool first and foremost. Looking forward to it!
monsterfurby is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old February 12th, 2014, 11:49 AM
Please consider this a user demand due to other VTT tools not meeting user needs. But not until RW is on firm footing....

Lots of VTT choices are indeed available, but none are integrated with the other tools out there. This results in importing, cleaning up, adding tokens, tracking results, etc.

I'm having to do double work for most things right now. Two sets of maps. Setup of tokens is done out of context. Two sets of HL files. No access to notes/treasure/background during play or a robust history of the encounter to refer back to within RW unless you recreate it manually.

I can see Profantasy CC3 maps being editable and linked directly from RW as being quite doable. It would be great if RW could then auto-create a PNG/JPG from this much like HeroLab creates a statblock. This is an ideal situation that most 3rd party tools won't be able to take advantage of.

I don't see Fantasy Grounds, d20pro, maptools, etc. doing the same level of integration as they each have very different implementations and goals. They were created as completely standalone products.

Keeping RW agnostic is a great first step towards creating an agnostic VTT.
AEIOU is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
monsterfurby

Old February 12th, 2014, 11:58 AM
What would be interesting further down the road would maybe be the ability to import one's Realm Works database or at least parts thereof (certain NPCs with description, maps, etc) into popular VTT software. I could imagine this to tie in well with sites like Roll20 which already have an API to support this, or offline tools akin to Maptool, etc.

Not necessarily a full integration, but possibly an export of character portrait + description to populate an external database, same with locations and plot notes.
monsterfurby is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Jiriki13

Old February 12th, 2014, 05:20 PM
My friends and I currently use FGII for our VTT needs, but I want to run Iron Kingdoms and it's not in Hero Lab or easily added to FGII from what I can see.
Jiriki13 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Eddy M

Send a message via ICQ to Eddy M

Old February 13th, 2014, 11:41 PM
Hi. My question is what is the best practice for using the "Identifier" entry box? I have search the forms and manuals but have not found anything helpful.

I've have attached a screen shot of the area I am referring:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg idpic.JPG (101.2 KB, 25 views)
Eddy M is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Mystic Lemur

Old February 14th, 2014, 05:37 PM
I use it to set my general content apart from adventure/module specific content. Stuff that won't change between campaigns doesn't need a tag, but my Temple of Elemental Evil content gets a "ToEE" in the Identifier field.

Hope that helps.
Mystic Lemur is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old March 22nd, 2014, 08:31 AM
Personally, I hope Realms works does NOT become a VTT. Sometimes having one tool do everything is not a good idea.

I think the fact that Realms Works is marketting itself as complimentary is a much smarter thing.
mirtos is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
woobyluv

Old March 22nd, 2014, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirtos View Post
Personally, I hope Realms works does NOT become a VTT. Sometimes having one tool do everything is not a good idea.

I think the fact that Realms Works is marketting itself as complimentary is a much smarter thing.
I agree, the big question is, which VTT works best with RW? For that matter, which campaign mappers compliment RW best?
woobyluv is offline   #10 Reply With Quote