Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Farling

Old April 11th, 2022, 02:05 AM
[QUOTE=Raistlindantilus;298783]I've tried a few of the alternatives. I tried Fantasia Archive, YAARPS or whatever, scouted Campfire, actually went all in on Foundry VTT (and may use in a future campaign)....but even with the importer by Farling (thanks anyway for trying man, you rock) it just made a big mess of my realm.
[quote]
I'm up to making fixes where required in my tools :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlindantilus View Post
And now we're stuck with an increasingly broken program that contains years of hard work flushed down the drain.
What makes it "increasingly" broken?

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Raistlindantilus

Old July 10th, 2022, 12:19 PM
[QUOTE=Farling;298785][QUOTE=Raistlindantilus;298783]I've tried a few of the alternatives. I tried Fantasia Archive, YAARPS or whatever, scouted Campfire, actually went all in on Foundry VTT (and may use in a future campaign)....but even with the importer by Farling (thanks anyway for trying man, you rock) it just made a big mess of my realm.
Quote:
I'm up to making fixes where required in my tools :-)

What makes it "increasingly" broken?
At the moment, fortunately, not a whole lot. Every major windows feature update has a potential for breakage and God only knows what will happen once we're all forced throat deep into Windows 11 or worse, the inevitable 12.
Raistlindantilus is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old July 17th, 2022, 02:30 PM
[QUOTE=Raistlindantilus;299542][QUOTE=Farling;298785]
Quote:
I've tried a few of the alternatives. I tried Fantasia Archive, YAARPS or whatever, scouted Campfire, actually went all in on Foundry VTT (and may use in a future campaign)....but even with the importer by Farling (thanks anyway for trying man, you rock) it just made a big mess of my realm.

At the moment, fortunately, not a whole lot. Every major windows feature update has a potential for breakage and God only knows what will happen once we're all forced throat deep into Windows 11 or worse, the inevitable 12.
I run it without the slightest problem on Win 11. Should some windows update break it, there's always the compatibilty mode to run in in win 7 mode or whatever you desire. If all else fails: Virtual Machine

So while I would absolutetly prefer to use a tool that's actively supported, I don't have any fear of not being able to use it in the forseeable future.

Find my stuff on

_|_ F i c t i o n a l m a p s . c o m _|_ D r i v e t h r u R P G _|_
Merion is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Ed Reppert

Old August 27th, 2022, 10:25 PM
Obsidian.md? wut dat?

Mac version of RW? I expect probably not, or they'd have done it already. ;-)

Web-based version? Same expectation. But maybe they're working on it and I just don't know about it. :-)
Ed Reppert is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old September 2nd, 2022, 02:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Reppert View Post
Obsidian.md? wut dat?

Mac version of RW? I expect probably not, or they'd have done it already. ;-)

Web-based version? Same expectation. But maybe they're working on it and I just don't know about it. :-)
Obsidian.md is a stand-alone application (on windows and mac).

There are other web-based alternatives which are now well established.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Cid

Old October 22nd, 2022, 10:59 AM
I just don't have the energy for Obsidian. It looks nice but I do enough XML as it is.
Cid is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old October 23rd, 2022, 02:13 AM
It's not XML. Work's on Markdown which is basically not that much different from raw text tbh.

It absolutely can become technical is you want it to.
- Database queries on your notes. You can create tables in your notes that are made up of your existing notes and the metadata from your notes.
- Ability to use formulas across your notes. I have travel distance auto-calculating on 'place' notes and it uses the parties method of travel and exhaustion levels in the calculation.
- Rather advanced scripting. I have random table scripts that will generate random tables where it pulls results from existing notes in specified folders! This is insane tbh.
- Even got AI Text working can literally just highlight some text, press a hotkey and it writes the next chunk of text for me lol.

I will say this. Yes, there is Syntax that you come across. But you just put them in a Template and that simplifies the whole thing.

The difference between the two tools though... Realm Works was difficult to get data into. Obsidian is insanely and stupidly easy to get data into. In 1 year I have set myself up far more than I ever did in 4 years of using RW. I'm actually spending time prepping my sessions instead of putting data into the tool because I have all the data already done. I even re-did all the data I put in originally from RW because I can do it better now and it only takes a few minutes.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old December 5th, 2022, 08:16 PM
Quote:
Some of us went all in with years and years of work into RealmWorks because believed in LWD. Because we saw the potential and the vision and believed in it.

And now we're stuck with an increasingly broken program that contains years of hard work flushed down the drain. What did we get for believing in LWD? Well, not much. And I know everyone is pissed about it and it's a big deal that theres no as yet discovered way to make RW a financially profitable venture, but to those of us stuck holding the short end of the straw we don't care that much.

Fix it, or sell it to someone who will, if you ever want respect or allegiance from a fan base again you can't sell a false bait to the DMs/GMs who make these games possible then just piss on them at the end of the day. Not cool, not happy, not to piss back on you but for the love of the gods someone has to fix this. Even if it isn't the creators...
Agreed.. so much for "trusting Rob" to release Realmworks as promised if they ever stopped supporting it.
All these years later still waiting....

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old January 5th, 2023, 07:02 PM
I keep the software and my realm data archives on a Parallels VM of Win 11. I cancelled my backup subscription with LWD, so i manage my own backups. But at this point, it is just an archive. I run my games in Foundry and I've been running published materials. I did subscribe to World Anvil for a bit, but just didn't use it enough. If I dive back into my home brew world again and start doing a lot more world building, I'll probably do it from my archived copy of RealmWorks, though I'll take another look at World Anvil to see if it is worth copy data over. I do like World Anvil's integration with Foundry.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old January 5th, 2023, 08:51 PM
I haven't been writing adventures or running campaigns lately so I only occasionally use Realm Works as a reference to my creations. Everything's still working fine on Windows 11.

I took another look at Obsidian a couple months back. It's improved since the first time I looked at it* but without doing a lot more exploratory work than I'm willing to do I just can't see myself getting enough out of it to make it worth using vs. the better text editors that can open multiple files. I found myself using VS Code to edit files in the "vault" (folder) instead of Obsidian.

* I gave up on it in about 5 minutes back then; it left a non-movable launcher window on a random monitor the entire time it was running and there was so little contrast in its default gray-on-gray-on-gray color scheme that I could barely read the settings window to try to change it.

Parody is offline   #20 Reply With Quote