Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

egg_green

Old January 1st, 2012, 06:29 PM
First, let me say that I am very much enjoying the mac version. Thanks very much!

I have two items of note so far, and one question:
1) When importing new data files, it would be helpful to have a progress indicator. As it is, I hit "import" and got a beach ball for several seconds while the import was underway. I would prefer a modal status dialog saying that the import was taking place. It's possible that this dialog is showing up underneath the previous window, as I have seen those sorts of issues before, but I don't know for sure.

2) Reverse tabbing (shift+tab) does not work correctly when tabbing through the date fields on the Journal tab. For example, create a new journal entry, click to place the cursor in the Title field and type in a title. Then press tab and type in a year. Press tab again, and the cursor is in the Month field. Press Shift+tab, and the cursor should go back to the year field, but instead it does nothing.
After this happens, pressing Tab again will highlight the character name on the top of the form, rather than moving on to the Day field.

Finally, a question: would you prefer to have us post bug reports to this thread, or create new threads, or just email you directly?

Thanks again!

PS - For the record, I am running Mac OS X 10.6.8 on a 24" iMac (2GB RAM, 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo). This was a Pathfinder Society character.

Last edited by egg_green; January 1st, 2012 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Added info about character & game system
egg_green is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
egg_green

Old January 1st, 2012, 06:43 PM
Also, I notice that on the Configure Hero screen, the tool-tips for hovering over the different options are all appearing at the top-center of the dialog (which I assume is what was meant by the item in the release notes). However, all of them just say "Choose the settings for your hero" rather than giving an explanation of the option in question. I can't recall if this is normal behavior, or if it should be showing a description of what, for example, "Hide Unusable Skills" actually does.
egg_green is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
TehBagder

Old January 1st, 2012, 07:11 PM
I've got the error in this thread appearing on the Mac version: http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?p=68134
TehBagder is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
egg_green

Old January 1st, 2012, 08:00 PM
I'm noticing some significant lag when scrolling through the equipment list on the "add a weapon" dialog. When I use the scroll wheel to scroll down the list, I am able to "queue up" several scrolls' worth of movement that then executes one screen at a time. This can take several seconds if I were scrolling far down in the list.

I also notice that if I click the "Everything/Only valid items" dropdown while this is happening, the dropdown will not appear until the list is finished scrolling.

OK, I found another issue after typing this. After narrowing the list to "only valid items" and adding a weapon to my hero (in this case, a sickle) by hitting "Add & Close", the Weapons tab stopped responding. I tried to click the checkbox to equip the sickle, but nothing happened. I was also unable to bring up the Choose a Weapon dialog again. After clicking around a bit, I was able to switch to the Armor tab, but when I switched back to Weapons, I was still unable to check the box.

After Saving the portfolio, I was able to go back and equip the item, so I suspect this is something in memory, rather than an issue with the file. However, I have attached it just in case. Now that I have saved the portfolio, I have not been able to reproduce the problem.

I did notice that in some of my testing while typing up this post, when I Command+Tabbed away from Hero Lab while the Add a Weapon dialog was open, the dialog disappeared. I haven't been able to get this to happen consistently, though -- usually, it stays up, but sometimes it disappears as long as Hero Lab does not have focus. Also, the issue with the list not performing well seems to be directly related to the number of items in the list. When I filter to only valid items for the weapons on this character (45/257 items), the scrolling is still a little bit sluggish, but not nearly as bad as when the entire list is shown. It seems like the list is not virtualizing properly.

Again, I am running OS X 10.6.8 on a 24" iMac with 2GB RAM and a 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo processor.
Attached Files
File Type: email Lupescu Cultist.por (98.9 KB, 1 views)
egg_green is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
egg_green

Old January 1st, 2012, 08:17 PM
OK, here's another one: the tooltip for the Intimidate skill looks weird, as though some of the text is repeated and offset. See the attached screenshot.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2012-01-02 at 12.11.07 AM.jpg (375.4 KB, 7 views)
egg_green is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
rushtong

Old January 2nd, 2012, 06:18 AM
Got this stack dump when trying to quit HL today. I have it running on a year-old macbook air.
Attached Files
File Type: txt hl stack dump.txt (36.3 KB, 2 views)
rushtong is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
Siminic

Old January 2nd, 2012, 06:43 AM
Excellent beta so far; thanks for opening it up.

My issues so far:
  1. information about yourself (licence activator)
    sticky country selector (need to select right on letters, not on line)
  2. import status screens (process meter screens, etc.) not linked to screen underneath
    if you move them, they will get 'stuck' below your visible screen
Otherwise, beta works well, and equivalently to Windows version, in terms of expectations. I will keep reporting issues as I find them.
Siminic is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
dgarsys

Send a message via AIM to dgarsys

Old January 2nd, 2012, 09:30 AM
OK.

OSX 10.7.2 on Macbook Pro 15"/2.2GHz i7/AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB/4GB RAM

Installed, ran great so far, both the fighter and the 1st level cleric I made imported just fine. I've correlated and retweaked them and changes all seem to be appropriate.

1) - while I'm happy that you guys didn't utterly ignore the <program name menu> -> Preferences convention on the mac and supplied the note about the settings menu, part of me still wants to see a preference pane that covers the same ground that's in the settings menu entirely, either side by side, or as a total replacement for the mac version as a GUI to turn on and off the settings options or access other settings windows.

2) You don't currently support 10.5, but DO support 10.6, so I understand why the file/save standard is save/save as instead of the newer 10.7 save a version/duplicate variety. I also don't know what kind of work will be involved in implementing that as it's something I haven't looked into myself, but you may still want to consider it since that's the direction OSX is going in.

3) GENERAL SUGGESTION: On the gear page, is it possible to have it show, instead of just that little "it's in something" icon, the name of the item that is holding it? Also, is there an option to sort or group by containers? If not - can we do that? IIRC this is the same as the windows version in this regard.

4) GENERAL SUGGESTION: For PFS games there are special boons/etc. that are received ( "+2 charisma checks" with certain dwarf tribes), as well as certain items that you can purchase based on which adventures you survived/etc. I'm currently putting these in "Background details" under the "personal" tab as this will show up in character sheets/etc.

Is there some way to make the journal notes visible without having to click on the edit button, so that you can easily keep this stuff in one place and still have it readily accessible/print out on character sheets?

5) Under custom outputs, the css/div layout for the "ancient one/powerful" character custom html sheet format is utterly broken in Safari 5.1.1/mac (included)

6) Back to the personal tab. The background Details field does not scroll when a mouse wheel is moved, or have a scroll bar available when the text uses up more than the visible space. ( note: Yes, I'm running Lion, but I've changed the system-wide settings so scroll bars should always be visible)

Clicking in the field to place the cursor, and hitting down arrow WILL reveal more text.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Output - safari - ancient one powerful.jpg (157.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Hero Lab® BETA - Marikus - Marikus.por-1.jpg (144.6 KB, 4 views)
dgarsys is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
dgarsys

Send a message via AIM to dgarsys

Old January 2nd, 2012, 09:47 AM
OSX 10.7.2 on Macbook Pro 15"/2.2GHz i7/AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB/4GB RAM

Every time I start up HL it asks me to initiate a new character portfolio, instead of opening the last one I had opened and saved when HL was last quit.

Is this expected behavior. I can't be entirely sure if this holds true on the windows side as I rarely quit HL there - I just suspend the VM.
dgarsys is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
DarthBeaver

Old January 2nd, 2012, 10:04 AM
I have been able to completely by-pass the SN check on the Mac Beta. I don't want to post the steps here though incase it gets snarfed by a web crawler. Who should I PM with the info?
DarthBeaver is offline   #30 Reply With Quote