Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

daplunk

Old April 29th, 2016, 11:16 PM
Hi Team,

If i create a portfolio and then link to RW does it create a snapshot or a live link to that portfolio?

Ie: If i make changes to the portfolio, will those changes reflect in the RW view and if i then send that character to HL for a fight will the stats reflect the original upload or the latest changes?

if i move to another PC, does RW need access to the HL Portfolio files in order to work?
daplunk is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old April 30th, 2016, 12:00 AM
The normal procedure is to store the portfolio within RealmWorks as a snippet. You can then edit that portfolio using HeroLab and after finishing the edit and saving, it will be automatically imported back into RealmWorks.

If you only store links to external objects within RealmWorks, then those links will be copied to RealmWorks on another computer but not the object that the link points to (because that object is not stored within RealmWorks).
Farling is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old April 30th, 2016, 12:18 AM
ok so using the hero labs snipping makes a copy of the *.por file effectively?
daplunk is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ich.pdf

Old April 30th, 2016, 12:31 AM
yes.

I store my NPCs in a folder structure upon creation but than I add them to RW and access them only this way if something changes. That keeps the RW version up to date.

However I am not sure what happens if I merge several portfolios via the "integrate" function - does it keep track of all changes anyway?

Occassionally, I will export the portfolios and overwrite the ones in the folder structure for backup purposes. You can "export" again by opening the .por via realm works, make changes to it, save it, change window to RW, now you are prompted with a popup, you leave the "Save Changes" Box checked and uncheck the "Keep Editing" box. Now you confirm, switch back to herolab and choose "Save As" and a location.

EDIT: the above is of course only necessary if you want to make your backups on the fly when you change something anyway. Otherwise, it is just open via RW -> Save As... -> Close

Last edited by ich.pdf; April 30th, 2016 at 01:38 AM.
ich.pdf is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old April 30th, 2016, 12:41 AM
Awesome, this is way better than i though. Thanks all.
daplunk is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old April 30th, 2016, 04:12 AM
Could @Rob chime in here perhaps.

However I am not sure what happens if I merge several portfolios via the "integrate" function - does it keep track of all changes anyway?
daplunk is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old April 30th, 2016, 06:38 AM
When you "integrate", HeroLab copies the creatures from the RealmWorks portfolio into your "working" copy of HeroLab. It is not any kind of "link". Any changes there are isolated. The portfolio in RealmWorks will remain unchanged, just as it was when you last saved it.

The "integrate" feature is similar to if you used the "Import Hero" command from the external HeroLab to copy in one or more creatures from a portfolio file.. the other portfolio file is unaffected by any changes made to the imported copies in your "working" portfolio.
Silveras is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ich.pdf

Old April 30th, 2016, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
When you "integrate", HeroLab copies the creatures from the RealmWorks portfolio into your "working" copy of HeroLab. It is not any kind of "link". Any changes there are isolated. The portfolio in RealmWorks will remain unchanged, just as it was when you last saved it.

The "integrate" feature is similar to if you used the "Import Hero" command from the external HeroLab to copy in one or more creatures from a portfolio file.. the other portfolio file is unaffected by any changes made to the imported copies in your "working" portfolio.
Yeah, I thought so. Anyway, I integrate only for encounters, not for development of NSCs, so that's just fine.

But thanks for clarification!
ich.pdf is offline   #8 Reply With Quote