Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - 4th Edition
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
AussieLauren

Old April 10th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Hi all, coming back to try hero lab again. Must say I'm still running into frustrations.

First things first, it seems that i have to run both the ddidownloader and hero lab itself as administrator in Win7 for it to work. that's not clear in the documentation. Reason for it is because all the datafiles seem to be written into a program directory - which is protected - so it needs administrator access in order to do so.

This is particularly frustrating with the downloader, because of frustration #2

It takes about 30 mins for the ddi downloader to import the non-subscriber information. However it took more than 9 hours yesterday to try and get the subscriber information - and as I hadn't run it in administrator mode, I lost all that information as soon as the downloader finished.

I should say, this is on a ~3.3Mbps internet connection, core i5 computer; I don't think the problem is on my hardware end of things.

Why does it take "3-4 hours" according to the documentation or "6-9 hours" in my experience to download something that's contained in a ~130Mb file which takes ~20 mins when we download the actual WOTC character builder? Why can't we simply pull the information from our hard-drive once the character builder has downloaded it?

Sorry for the rant but it's very frustrating to me. It seems like a very good program but I just can't practically use it with it like this, not when the WOTC character builder does many of the options nearly as good, and some of the more bizarre combinations simply work (remembering my spellscarred issues)

Cheers guys, will continue to try, but the tether is almost reached.

Edit - Just to note that after running for about 6 hours, it spammed "unexpected subscription page error" and basically stopped downloading. So it's now used my 5 downloads while in the middle of downloading the content, and I'm stuck for the month. *sigh*

Edit 2 - well, I guess I understand now, it's sifting through the DnD compendium page by page rather than pulling it from the character creator... *sigh* - but is there any way to get a resume feature? Or at least an option to only pull one section at a time?

Last edited by AussieLauren; April 11th, 2010 at 02:12 AM.
AussieLauren is offline   #1 Reply With Quote