Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

the_redbeard

Old February 6th, 2017, 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
As a seller of those print copies through my store, I'm not overly thrilled either. It is very FLGS unfriendly. It is sad but I know many retailers who have supported Pathfinder through the years, are now dumping the line because of their on-line policies. I won't do it but we have certainly reduced our numbers drastically.
Are you aware of Bits and Mortar? I've only used this once so far for the Adventures in Middle Earth Player's Guide from Cubicle7. The program pairs purchases of paper, physical copies from stores with pdf downloads. I'm a big fan, and actively look for stores and manufacturers to support on this.
the_redbeard is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
stuartwaring

Old February 6th, 2017, 11:08 PM
Im actually really quite upset about this policy
Quote:
Paizo has adopted a new policy on how they handle adapted print/PDF content for all of their digital partners, including Lone Wolf Development. (Please note this does not affect Hero Lab) Consumers who purchase these packages must first own the PDF of the corresponding Pathfinder content, according to our license with Paizo.
Like many others I spent significant sums on hard copies, and now I have to buy PDF and RW content?!?!? I have been GMing the Reign of Winter AP having bought all 6 hard copy (I love the books - they really are awesome - and so much easier to deal with at the table for now). I now learn that i have to spend $90US on the PDF copies, before buying the RW stuff. Using the same logic as Happydevil 43 from here:http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=57639, that then means around $67 for the complete AP in Realmworks - so $167USD (which is $NZ227) for an AP that i have already spend $120 on!!! Never mind the fact that I also purchased new hard copies of: CRB, APG, Bestiary 1-4, Game Mastery Guide, Ultimate Magic, Ultimate Combat, Ultimate Equipment, Advanced Race Guide, Ultimate Campaign, Advanced Class Guide, Mythic Adventures, Pathfinder Unchained, Occult Adventures.

To say I am gutted is an understatement - I am horrified and very very very cross. I almost feel betrayed as I have always supported Paizo by buying hardcopies of just about everything!

I read the link that NeoEvaX posted in another discussion (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2q00l?Di...cal-copy-owned), and understand all the arguments, but living in NZ, the shipping costs were prohibitive (i did once ask Paizo), so the subscription was just not viable.

I can only hope that Paizo will rethink this policy as it makes buying anything in RW prohibitively expensive for me, and possibly others.

Apologies for the rant but having looked forward to the Content Market for so long I am massively dissapointed that I seemingly will be unable to actually buy anything and support the great work that Lone Wolf (and Paizo) have done.
stuartwaring is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Tharmiones

Old February 7th, 2017, 12:01 AM
Well I'm a Paizo Subscriber for 4 years now for most of their lines I get the PDF's for most of the stuff "for free". So for "newer" stuff I'm not so much worried. However as I do not have the PDFs for the "older" stuff like CRB, APG and so on but I do have those as physical books I'm not amused about the fact that I would have to buy the PDF for those as well. I wonder if the Core Book Stuff will require the PDFs as well when it is already available only as a PRD. For Adventure Path or Modules or even the Campaign Setting and Player Companion line I can understand that but for the stuff where that content is available on their official site I'm a bit disappointed.

I think it will most likely some time in the foreseeable future where I've to decide if I really continue with my Paizo Subscriptions or if I would just purchase that with RW+PDF only, despite the fact that I really love to have the physical books. But at some point money is becoming an issue, beside space in the shelfs.
Tharmiones is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old February 7th, 2017, 12:42 AM
Really hoping that WoTC doesn't follow suit. Then again, looking at the pricing for 5e material on Fantasy Grounds, they charge the same as the books (maybe more, depending on discounts you can find for the books online), so it does seem the PF material will be less expensive, especially if you do not buy the books.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Ashran

Old February 7th, 2017, 01:09 AM
Well, if in two years they have not been able to negotiate with wizards of the coast (not to say nothing has been done, but the results are not visible, yet) I would not hold my breath for official books in realm works in the next, how say two to three years...

Joke aside, I really want 5e support (and not just srd) as it is the only system I am actively dming these days.
I wonder how hard it would be to convert official realm works official to another system (seeing as i have understood maybe incorrectly you could only import to a same rule systems realms). If I buy a pathfinder module for rw, how would I go to add only the scenario without rules elements into a 5e realms and fill the blank myself.
Ashran is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 7th, 2017, 01:29 AM
Merging adventure content should be relatively simple. You will have to put in new Hero Lab files, stats and look to change any DC checks but the story, people, places, etc. That doesn't need to change.

I am holding my breathe for a WOTC license. LW would be stupid to not go after it. I've wondered why we don't have one already with Hero Lab. Perhaps they are just waiting for the CM to launch so they can get a license that covers their entire product line? I've got my fingers and toes crossed and occasionally i go as low as to tweet the d&d developers begging...

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old February 7th, 2017, 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
As a seller of those print copies through my store, I'm not overly thrilled either. It is very FLGS unfriendly. It is sad but I know many retailers who have supported Pathfinder through the years, are now dumping the line because of their on-line policies. I won't do it but we have certainly reduced our numbers drastically.
I go out of my way to buy the stuff I do own physical copies of, mostly flip mats and map packs, from the local game store. I could subscribe through Paizo and get the PDF's since I get all of those that come out but I'd rather spend my money at a small business in my community that provides me with a gaming space.

Thinking more about this policy I'm even more upset with Paizo.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 7th, 2017, 01:30 AM
Given Paizo's brand image is 'we are not corporate pirates' it is rather surprising...

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Happydevil43

Old February 7th, 2017, 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
I go out of my way to buy the stuff I do own physical copies of, mostly flip mats and map packs, from the local game store. I could subscribe through Paizo and get the PDF's since I get all of those that come out but I'd rather spend my money at a small business in my community that provides me with a gaming space.

Thinking more about this policy I'm even more upset with Paizo.
Exactly!.

I guess I will now need to do a review on the differences between Crimson Throne (old version) and the updated one, so that I can put it in manually.

I just cant afford to buy 3 lots of data (well not after being made redundant!)
Happydevil43 is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Ashran

Old February 7th, 2017, 02:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
I am holding my breathe for a WOTC license. LW would be stupid to not go after it. I've wondered why we don't have one already with Hero Lab. Perhaps they are just waiting for the CM to launch so they can get a license that covers their entire product line? I've got my fingers and toes crossed and occasionally i go as low as to tweet the d&d developers begging...
It's not the stupidity of LW I am afraid of, but more the lack of real digital support historicaly linked to 5e (except FG, but at a prohibitive cost, imho)

Plus they have recently unveiled a new digital division for wotc project. We don't really know what they'll do (games, virtual tabletops, etc) but it could be a software similar in intent from RW and so, supporting it would be against their own interest... Politcs, non disclosure and so on.

You also have to account that, at the time of creation of the kickstarter, paizo and pathfinder was the leader of the industry (they might still be, in term of sales, I dunno, but I have seen from reports of roll20 and similar softwares that 5e has been number one since launch...) It's normal to have priority one when lighted on that perspective, but it might be a short sighted vision in the long term. We'll see how LW will negotiate that particular change in the table top rpgs landscape.
Ashran is offline   #20 Reply With Quote