Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

liz
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 30th, 2015, 11:31 AM
Earlier this month we wrapped up our Realm Works Feature Survey. On our website, we recapped the results and outlined our ensuing plans for the future. If you’re a current Realm Works user (or a prospective user), we encourage you to take a read!

Click here for the update!

Separately, we want to say a huge thank you to the nearly 1,000 people that took the survey! Your feedback has been heard, and we’re tailoring our plans accordingly as we look forward to bringing more of the Realm Works vision to life this year.

If you have any questions after reading the update, please chime in here and we'll get you answers as soon as we can!
liz is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old January 30th, 2015, 12:06 PM
Thank you for sharing. I'm not surprised that Export was pretty low, nor am I surprised that there's a large split for the features that get a lot of mentions here on the forums.

I think Realm Works will be a very useful tool the next time I'm running a traditional RPG campaign. That might be a while, though. :(

Parody is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Seregil

Old January 30th, 2015, 03:13 PM
Oh dear God!

Everybody get your body armour, the Calendars are not in the top three. The End is Nigh! :-)
Seregil is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old January 30th, 2015, 03:45 PM
Gird your loins!
Aaron is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old January 30th, 2015, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the transparency with this, some good features are in the top three some stuff is postponed for some time. Looking forward for the 2016 survey
Acenoid is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old January 30th, 2015, 10:22 PM
Have to say that I was surprised that journal made it to the top and that calendaring made it so low. Disappointed, but I am impressed at the developer's engagement and transparency.
MNBlockHead is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Nemesis

Old January 31st, 2015, 12:54 AM
And with this I'm done with RW. The features that you plan on adding over the next couple of months are completely useless to me, while the features I need are on the bottom of your list (mainly export and calenders - also no word on the Mac version. Seriously, how long can you stall this?). Calenders are almost useless right now without custom calnders and the handling is terrible. And without an export option I won't use RW, I don't like the black hole approach at all.

And one more thing, dear LWD staff:

Quote:
we will allow users to get their data out before we ever stop supporting Realm Works
I don't need your permission to get my data out of RW - it's MY data and I will use it in any way I want to. If your software doesn't enable me to do that, well, you're out. See, everyone I've talked to about the missing export feature reacted in the same way: "WTF?" It's a functionality so basic, that no one could believe it wasn't there.

And about adding it at some point in the future: what if at one point I decide there's another software that suits my needs better than RW does? Right now my data would be stuck in RW and I'd have to copy/paste every single snippet into another application. That's not an option at all for me.

So I'll be going back to my trusty combination of Scrivener, OmniOutliner and Aeon Timeline. These programs do everything I need (including links) and also have the option you put on the bottom of your feature list.

So long.
Nemesis is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
PatJe

Old January 31st, 2015, 02:55 AM
I'm also dissapointed, that we won't see calenders in a while. It was mentioned as a "Key Realm Works Feature" in the kickstarter campaign and was very important to me.
I wouldn't say Realm Works is useless without it. But the more you work with it entering dates als text instead of calender entries, the more useless calender entries become. Who would rework the whole realm after this feature will come ... maybe ... sometimes

Last edited by PatJe; January 31st, 2015 at 02:58 AM.
PatJe is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old January 31st, 2015, 03:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
...also no word on the Mac version. Seriously, how long can you stall this?
Forever seems likely; an eventual full-featured web client is probably the destination for non-Windows users.

I'm with you on exporting, though perhaps not as emphatic about it. :)

Parody is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 31st, 2015, 05:02 AM
@Nemesis: Clearly, you're one of the people for whom export is a deal-breaker. Going back to having to use three separate tools over the lack of export seems like a harsh alternative to me, but you've made your position clear. Unfortunately, the survey results place you in a small, but vocal, minority of the overall Realm Works user base. We have to prioritize our efforts to focus on what the vast majority of users want right now, and the results of the survey are compelling on the subject of export. It's unfortunate that your priorities don't mesh with those of most everyone else.

Edit for clarity: It's your fellow Realm Works users who put export near the bottom of the priority list. That's not where we had it on our list going into the survey. We're now calibrating our priorities to best satisfy the collective desires of our users.

Last edited by rob; January 31st, 2015 at 05:46 AM.
rob is offline   #10 Reply With Quote