Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

Enforcer84

Old March 16th, 2021, 05:28 PM
So I'm importing AkuAkuMatatata's The Beloved warlock patron and one of the class features gives you a different benefit depending on which Pact you take.

What I'd like to do is set those up as 4 different class features bootstrapped to the 'main' ability with the condition only if the specific pact boon is active...

so I'm thinking it's something like:

Phase: First Priority :400
Tag Expression:
Activated.cWlkPacBla = 1

...that seems wrong.
Yeah that didn't work. I got an error and all four of the option based class features were there but ghosted. When I reloaded no more errors but they don't show up at all.

I suppose I could use the user index to have the four pacts as Array options...

Last edited by Enforcer84; March 16th, 2021 at 05:49 PM.
Enforcer84 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Fenris447

Old March 16th, 2021, 06:48 PM
So keep in mind that bootstrap conditions can only test for three things:
  • Fields on the parent thing that's doing the bootstrapping
  • Tags on the parent thing that's doing the bootstrapping
  • Tags on the hero

So you need to have the main ability set up one of the above items to test very early on (as early in First as possible), based on whether different pact boons are enabled.

What I would do is run a script on the main ability at First 100 that looks for each Pact Boon. Then it sets a field on itself appropriately.

Here's the basic script. Let's say we're running it at First 100.
Code:
~If Pact of the Blade is present on the hero, set my abValue to 1
if (hero.childlives[cWlkPacBla] <> 0) then
   field[abValue].value = 1
   endif
Do the same thing for each qualifying Pact Boon, setting abValue to a different number for each Pact Boon. Specials and custom abilities all have abValue, abValue2, 3, 4, and 5 available to carry values like this, so you can use any of them (or all, if you want to test for multiple things independently of each other). Just make sure your ability isn't using them for something else.

Then in your bootstraps, test for the appropriate abValue in the Conditions. For the extra ability we only get for having Pact of the Blade, we test for an abValue of 1, since we said to set it to 1 if Pact of the Blade is present. Run sometime after the script, like First 101:
Code:
fieldval:abValue = 1
Assuming I understood what you're getting at, that should get you where you're going.

EDIT: ALSO! I would recommend programming the four special abilities as "Custom Ability"'s. I've found there's some wonkiness when bootstrapping Class Specials to things other than a Class. There're ways to push tags to activate things, and you can see how I did that in the Tasha's Variant Class features that replace other class features. But it's probably not an amount of effort that's necessary for your purposes here.

Found an issue with or have a suggestion for the 5e Community Pack? Please post it here at our GitHub.

Feel free to stop by the Lone Wolf Development Subreddit, for discussion of any and all LWD products and community efforts!

Last edited by Fenris447; March 17th, 2021 at 05:56 AM.
Fenris447 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Enforcer84

Old March 16th, 2021, 07:37 PM
Cool thank you!

That totally worked, thank you so much!

Last edited by Enforcer84; March 16th, 2021 at 07:50 PM.
Enforcer84 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote