Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Vornmusion

Old September 12th, 2014, 10:09 AM
I recently decided to run a couple of sessions using Roll20, for placement more than anything else (couple encounters were just blank hex grids), and had the always fun time of slogging through combat. I was, very quickly, reminded why I orginally used d20Pro in the first place. As is the program is worthless for my Shadowrun game, but for Pathfinder I still can't get over finishing a round of combat in less than 20 seconds.

Less time crunching math and more time spent on roleplaying will always be preferable to me personally. Especially with Realm Works already sucking up so much of my free time, the last thing I want to do when finally playing with my group is spend even more time effectively doing nothing in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
With the merger with Mesa Mundi and if I recall correctly, the lead dev quitting his regular day job, the necessary focus to move this program forward is there.
The Kickstarter was to afford the developer time to work on Unlimited full-time instead of as his hobby. The idea was that anything funded would be worked on full-time until realized in a release-ready state, and everything not funded would be worked on part time while they do contract work to pay their bills.

I can only trust that the developer hasn't undersold the complexity, or oversold his talent, and the funded parts of the KS can be completed with the budget provided. Since a lot of the ground-work is already done (so they say anyway) it's not as if they're starting from scratch post-funding. Here's to hoping for that February beta!
Vornmusion is offline   #71 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old September 12th, 2014, 12:39 PM
Quote:
The reboot for d20pro to Unlimited promises a lot of updates to the little annoyances many of us have had in the past. None were game-breakers but the program and interface could have been improved in a lot of places. .........
Agreed
Quote:
The piece shared during the KS that really impressed me was that they have actively sought out experts in the technical and gaming industries to act as advisers. Having some critical eyes that can peek behind the scenes and who can offer honest, timely, necessary feedback is really important. It will help them stay focused on what they already do well.
Agreed ... and to add to this those "experts" would be

Game Design Advisers
  • Frank Mentzer - His claims to fame include game design on the Basic, Companion, Expert versions of D&D for TSR, articles within Dragon Magazine, founded the RPGA (Role Playing Gamers Association), and several D&D modules, probably most famously known for his expansion of the Village of Hommlet into The Temple of Elemental Evil expanding on the original by E.Gary Gygax.
  • Stephen Radney-McFarland - is a designer for Paizo Publishing, working on the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game. Prior to working for Paizo, Stephen worked on Dungeons & Dragons at Wizards of the Coast, designing and running organized play programs for D&D during 3e and was one of the developers for 4e.
Software Design Advisers
  • Ed Kmett
  • Roger Walco
With 30 years of my own experience in RPG...The Game Designers are well known to me.... the Software designers not so much as that is an industry I have little knowledge on. It is nice to see them bringing experts that understand not only the "programming of t he software" but the industry the software will be applied, surely the best approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyofdragons View Post
I had written it off a long time ago as being one of those "online only" sort of things, not useful for our in-person gaming. .................but honestly the constant switching between multiple programs is annoying. I'm hoping to see the proposed better integration between hero lab/Realm Works/d20pro to reduce this issue.
Here here!!! and well said!
Quote:
Also while I'm certainly hoping for some improvements in the UI, I think d20pro will work much better at the table than the hero lab combat interface. ....
Agreed
Quote:
and maybe some day I'll have tons of extra money and buy me one of those mesa mundi multitouch screen overlays...
LOL agreed here as well... I once saw the VTT version 3 years ago with multi-touch at a convention,,,, for the low low price of 10k

Mesa's overlay by comparison almost seems reasonable

Quote:
And of course, the partnership with LW was crucial. HL support is really a necessity for me. I'm hoping RW support can be added to allow better workflow, tracking of maps, storing of prepared scenarios, importing of HL portfolios, etc. And if there can be interoperation between the three programs to allow data to stay synched between them.... WOW. Just WOW. The future is indeed bright.
HOT OFF the PRESS....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creator Mesa Mundi Inc. 8 minutes ago on the D20 KickStarter Comments

@Mushroom C1oud: soon d20Pro will import Creatures directly from a Hero Lab .por file. It will also have merge capability - in case you've already done so and want to update an existing creature.

We are talking with LWD about ways to accomplish writing back from d20Pro to Hero Lab but we are still investigating the best way to accomplish this.

Best regards and good gaming,
Mat ~ GM Thraxxis
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #72 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old September 12th, 2014, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen View Post
Agreed

LOL agreed here as well... I once saw the VTT version 3 years ago with multi-touch at a convention,,,, for the low low price of 10k

Mesa's overlay by comparison almost seems reasonable
I'm in the process of buying a new house, just have to convince the wife that the cost of the Mesa should be part of the house cost.
mirtos is offline   #73 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old September 12th, 2014, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirtos View Post
I'm in the process of buying a new house, just have to convince the wife that the cost of the Mesa should be part of the house cost.
LOL good Luck with that!!

Although I managed to convince mine that the "wide spot" at the top of the stairs would be a "perfect "game room... and wouldn't it be "cool" to have the TV screens in the table? hehehe

"What's Your Game Table Look Like" Thread>http://forums.wolflair.com/showthrea...t=50112&page=2

So Here's to your Diplomacy Roll.... may it be a 20.....

Last edited by Dark Lord Galen; September 12th, 2014 at 04:34 PM.
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #74 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old September 13th, 2014, 04:37 AM
Counting down the last 30minutes now, 80K+ funded, thats over 800%!!!!

Mobile character sheets are funded, wow just wow.

Thanks everyone for helping, I am really stoked about introducing VTT to my group with D20 Pro unlimited.
Exmortis is offline   #75 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old September 13th, 2014, 05:02 AM
This one is in the books 82,725 dollars funded, 1790 backers.
Exmortis is offline   #76 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old September 13th, 2014, 06:43 AM
Thank you Lone Wolf for allowing this thread. I'm looking forward to your collaborations with Mesa Mundi and am excited to see what other relationships with other software and publishing firms develop as others see how this can be a huge win-win.
AEIOU is offline   #77 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old September 13th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Thank you Lone Wolf for allowing this thread. I'm looking forward to your collaborations with Mesa Mundi and am excited to see what other relationships with other software and publishing firms develop as others see how this can be a huge win-win.
+1 * 10
And well said
They could have certainly & justify squashing a thread not pertaining to realm works.
Thanks Colin & Rob for seeing the community excitement & the big picture.
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #78 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old September 13th, 2014, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Absolutely. Thanks for allowing it.
mirtos is offline   #79 Reply With Quote