Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

RampagingHoardes

Old July 22nd, 2014, 02:13 PM
I apologized if this has been addressed but was hoping to get some feedback for a large world I am working on.

Currently the world I am creating is extensive. There are lots of people which will range well into the hundreds I would imagine maybe more. Most will have basic info but the important ones (depending on which way the campaign goes) will be extensively fleshed out. So the question is:

Having many NPC's belonging to many families that are important to the game; Would it be better to list Last Name, First Name rather than First Name Last Name as a topic?

I was figuring it may be better so they group together when in the same cast lists that have lots of members. I figured I could put an alias for First Name Last Name.

Do you think this is a better way of handling it so the group is more orderly when looking at it as a whole?

Additionally:

Also do you know if they will be fixing the broken scroll wheel issue?

Or the subgroups not remembering whether they are opened and closed?

Also is there a way for the App to remember a default font and size?
RampagingHoardes is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old July 22nd, 2014, 02:51 PM
For a situation like yours, I'd consider using the prefix field. Put last names into the prefix to sort them into groups.

You can also create aliases for each person with last,first. You can hide aliases when you don't want them. Aliases show up as gray on the left sidebar so they are obvious.
AEIOU is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old July 22nd, 2014, 03:02 PM
Names: I think it depends on how much you group them: if "The Miller Family" is your typical organizing style then you're not going to care as much about the last names. Also, you can hide aliases but not a main topic name, so which would you rather see all the time?

Scrolling w/Wheel: I believe they asked us to bug report specific controls that aren't currently scrolling the way you'd expect with the scroll wheel.

Navigation View remembering what's open/closed: No response, but I'm sure it's on their radar. (One Feature Request thread on the subject.)

Default font and size: Not yet; we're still waiting for styles.

Parody is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
RampagingHoardes

Old July 22nd, 2014, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
For a situation like yours, I'd consider using the prefix field. Put last names into the prefix to sort them into groups.

You can also create aliases for each person with last,first. You can hide aliases when you don't want them. Aliases show up as gray on the left sidebar so they are obvious.

If I use prefixes can I have multiple type of prefixes and they still sort? I don't see a reason why I would need a different sort of prefix but I would rather know ahead of time what I am getting into.

As far as aliases go can you sort on aliases? The sort order I need is last, first so it groups the family members together in a list when at the same location.

thanks
RampagingHoardes is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
RampagingHoardes

Old July 22nd, 2014, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
Names: I think it depends on how much you group them: if "The Miller Family" is your typical organizing style then you're not going to care as much about the last names. Also, you can hide aliases but not a main topic name, so which would you rather see all the time?

Scrolling w/Wheel: I believe they asked us to bug report specific controls that aren't currently scrolling the way you'd expect with the scroll wheel.

Navigation View remembering what's open/closed: No response, but I'm sure it's on their radar. (One Feature Request thread on the subject.)

Default font and size: Not yet; we're still waiting for styles.
Basically i have all my people in a list as I have created many over a period of time. Yesterday I added a bunch and after I got them in there it started feeling unwieldy and I need to add more family members (building mostly structure first). So I found myself scrolling up and down with a broken mouse scroll over two large lists. I have added structure to both based on recommended style but the cast list was crazy long.

basically they are all in there like this:"

Tom Smith
James Jones
Terry Black
etc etc x 200
Jane Smith

This got ugly fast.

RampagingHoardes is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old July 22nd, 2014, 04:31 PM
I added a tag were these guys appeared. So yI can filter the list to exclude unecessary ppl.

Ppl who belong into a certain area might also be grouped under a specific group named after the town / region.

Maybe you need to change the "view" pane from simple to advanced to allow different grouping?
Acenoid is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
RampagingHoardes

Old July 22nd, 2014, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acenoid View Post
I added a tag were these guys appeared. So yI can filter the list to exclude unecessary ppl.

Ppl who belong into a certain area might also be grouped under a specific group named after the town / region.

Maybe you need to change the "view" pane from simple to advanced to allow different grouping?
I don't think that will help me but I am not sure where it is. I think I saw it before but can't seem to find it now.

Basically I Started entering the worlds contents at the highest level stubbing everything out which has allowed me to generate further ideas as I go. I have most realms entered and have entered the cities of the main one. I then stubbed the government and the various houses which will be involved in politics, commerce and the military. Now I have entered tons of people which I am associating with the houses, government and other areas. I am also fleshing families out as i go adding wives, sisters children etc. It is a bit of an iterative process and I bounce around a little as the creative juices flow.
So as it stands right now I really would like to have the people sorting together in the list but not sure the best way to make it happen.

I tried doing last name first since I posted this but now it has put a double entry (showing the alias) with the second entry being grayed out but still usable. This increases the list size unnecessarily

So Now in the huge list I have

John Smith (greyed and functional)
Smith, John (displayed normally)

This isn't what I am looking for either.

The reason I have so much content as it I will be running a combo of sandbox/political intrigue (if they go that way)/defined plots trying to give the players a realistic feeling with the realm (where appropriate in fantasy) and a feeling of freedom as well. The areas of my realm will have certain cultural feelings so I at least want basic info on places they may wander to keep the flavor consistent. If they go down a path I wasn't expecting I am ahead of the game and they shouldn't notice if I have to wing something.
RampagingHoardes is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
davidp
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 22nd, 2014, 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RampagingHoardes View Post
Also do you know if they will be fixing the broken scroll wheel issue?
What do you see is broken about the scroll wheel? I fired up Realm Works, moved the mouse pointer over the list of topics on the left and the scroll wheel scrolled the list up and down as expected. I opened up a topic and when the mouse is over the topic, it scrolls it up and down. What behavior are you expecting that you are not seeing?
davidp is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old July 22nd, 2014, 07:49 PM
Home finally. Your question is really simple and complicated at the same time.

I use several cast lists (with names rather than roles) as outlined below (with sample prefixes for sorting). This allows me to group NPCs by region so I can find them quickly or move them to the World Almanac if they aren't needed. I also create a table in each cast list category with rows for NPC, Nearest Town/Encounter, Friend/Foe and Notes. I only create real category entries for NPC's the PC's will definitely interact with. My table of names with notes automatically links to existing NPCs and locations.

Player Characters (1)
-- PC 1
-- PC 2
-- PC 3
Recurring Characters (2)
-- Villain 1
-- Villain sidekick
-- Mysterious Stranger
-- Innkeeper
-- Mayor
Historical Figures (3)
-- Augustus Caesar (deceased)
Region Name Cast (RN1)
-- Bandit Leader
-- Assassin Mole
-- Thief in Black
Region Name Extras (RN2)
-- Bandit 1
-- Bandit 2
-- Bandit 3
-- Ironworker
-- Apple Merchant
Second Region Cast (SR1)
Second Region Extras (SR2)
Third Region Cast (TR1)
Third Region Extras (TR2)
AEIOU is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
RampagingHoardes

Old July 23rd, 2014, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidp View Post
What do you see is broken about the scroll wheel? I fired up Realm Works, moved the mouse pointer over the list of topics on the left and the scroll wheel scrolled the list up and down as expected. I opened up a topic and when the mouse is over the topic, it scrolls it up and down. What behavior are you expecting that you are not seeing?
Weird I went in to look at it today it isn't doing it and seems to be working properly. This is the first time it has worked so I am not sure what to make of it. Before anytime I scrolled the list would reset at the top no matter where I was. It was a bit of a pain but it seems to be ok. If it starts doing it again I will let you guys know.

thanks
RampagingHoardes is offline   #10 Reply With Quote