Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > Hero Lab Online Discussion

Notices

Valdacil

Old April 24th, 2020, 09:00 AM
Our group is making use of HLO for Pathfinder 2E Extinction Curse AP. I have a Patron account and am sharing content with my players. However, we've noticed a few things that would be of great benefit for improvements:

Character Management
- Copy character within campaign: My players would like to be able to make a copy of their characters so they can level up the copy to figure out what choices they would make so they are ready to level during the session. I don't want them to do this on their 'live' character, but if they make a copy of the character using the current tool, it copies the character to their private vault where they don't have content shared from the campaign. There are 2 suggestions to deal with this:
---- Simple: Allow copying characters within the campaign.
---- Cooler: Allow for 'save points' or something on the character. A player could make a 'save point' for "Live", then make edits to the character and roll back to the 'save point' when ready to play again. A single save point would accomplish this, but multiple save points would be nice. In HLC we could simply do this by saving separate files.
- GM add private character to campaign: I don't know if it is a bug or not, but I am unable to add any characters in my private vault to any of the campaigns I created. When I attempt to do so, the list of campaigns is empty.

Dice Rolling
- Dice Roll Log: Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see a roll history/roll log. This is necessary to validate rolls.
- Party Rolls: Especially in Pathfinder 2E there are numerous 'hidden' rolls the GM makes (Perception, Will Saves, etc). It would be nice if there was a feature where I could tell it to roll all player characters' Perception or a save or a skill. It would be better if I could select a subset of player characters for this roll, and I foresee times when I would need to make a global check for all NPC/foes in the Stage.

Inventory Management
With HLO moving to a web interface, I was quite disappointed to see that inventory management hasn't really changed from HLC. It is still a flat list of items. I have various ideas of improvements that range from simpler ideas to really cool:
- Simple: If you click a backpack, the flyout does show the items contained in that backpack... so the data exists for what items are in what containers. A simple solution would be to add a column to the display that shows the parent container... that alone would be a big help with the existing interface. One step more would be to automatically sort first on container then on name so that all items within a container would be at least grouped.
- Better: In addition to sorting the list so that items are grouped together, items in a container should appear following that container and be indented to indicate they are within the container. Essentially, shift from a flat list to a tree view so that containers can be expanded and collapsed. Tree views are versatile enough that they work for both small and large inventories.
- Even Better: Tree view is probably the best option, so here I'll simply add the ability to drag/drop within the tree instead of clicking a flyout to move an item to another container.
Valdacil is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
dacoobob

Old April 24th, 2020, 09:10 AM
Excellent ideas, I agree with all of the above. Especially the inventory management items!
dacoobob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Koro76

Old April 24th, 2020, 11:17 AM
I definitely give the ability to more easily roll hidden checks a +1. As a GM, I feel like I have to roll a million of these, and I'm constantly having to fetch player numbers. I actually made my own spreadsheet to make this easier, but I'd love to throw the thing away and be able to do it in HLO at the click of a button.

For another Character Management improvement, I'd love to be able to move characters between the PC/Players group and the Cast Members group more easily. This has been an issue multiple times for me, as captured characters temporarily control an ally or alternate character, or choose to retire a character for them to become an NPC.
Koro76 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Nightstar

Old April 25th, 2020, 12:09 PM
My wish list is either allow us to create custom content with custom descriptions (like making a custom race or class, that has unique abilities, or at least abilities other races have, but you can edit the description for... So my dhampir wouldn't mention being a borai).

And the ability to export/import my characters into Fantasy Grounds.
Nightstar is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old April 25th, 2020, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstar View Post
And the ability to export/import my characters into Fantasy Grounds.
How about an API so that you can keep HLO open alongside fantasy grounds, and both update in real time?

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 25th, 2020, 09:05 PM
Lots of great ideas! Some of these are already part of the plan, some are completely new, and some are slightly different takes on things that were in the plan that now need to be reconsidered.

Please keep them coming!

In fact, I'm going to sticky this thread so it can continue growing with new ideas in one central place! Thanks for starting it, @Valdacil!!
rob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Prethen

Old April 27th, 2020, 04:39 AM
Those inventory ideas are killer! And, they do seem like they'd be quite an improvement and help with how I manage/mangle my inventory.
Prethen is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Namikaze

Old April 28th, 2020, 05:15 AM
For Shadowrun 6, riggers are unable to utilize their drones and vehicles correctly. They should be able to utilize their own skills and (in some cases) attributes, but the vehicles do not inherit them.

Are there plans for implementing this feature in the near future?
Namikaze is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 28th, 2020, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namikaze View Post
For Shadowrun 6, riggers are unable to utilize their drones and vehicles correctly. They should be able to utilize their own skills and (in some cases) attributes, but the vehicles do not inherit them.

Are there plans for implementing this feature in the near future?
This question belongs on the Shadowrun 6 forums. That's where the expert on SR6 pokes his head in occasionally. I don't know anything about how that stuff works (or is supposed to work) for riggers.

This question also needs to be submitted as a support ticket. That's the best and most reliable way to get an issue on our radar to be corrected.
rob is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Jamz

Old April 29th, 2020, 07:39 AM
+1 on all with pref to dice logs. My GM would like to see my to hit and damage rolls.

Bonus if you can target creature to hit and GM can just click Apply Damage link/button.

We used HLO for the Fall of Plaguestone and used it to do all the rolls but motto is "Trust but Verify."

-Jamz

RPTools.net | MapTool Discord Invite

Download Latest MapTool Release | Download Latest TokenTool Release
Jamz is offline   #10 Reply With Quote