Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

xeth1313

Old September 4th, 2019, 07:27 PM
I don't really know who things worked with getting the Vampire Hunter into the builder, but is it possible the Omdure might get in? It is from Paizo, but in the similar vein of the Vampire Hunter D stuff was released through the IP owners. They seem like they would be in favor of getting it into the system.

For reference, the class: https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/omdura/

There are also some new feats, races, and archtypes in the same Niobe book.
xeth1313 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
LazarX

Old January 17th, 2020, 03:20 PM
Seeming like they would be in favor is not good enough for copyright law purposes.
LazarX is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old January 17th, 2020, 05:45 PM
Since the Niobe is a Paizo book, you could write to Paizo (or the authors) to ask if they will produce HL files for that product. (This probably won't happen.) If you really want the Omdura class (or anything else from the book), your best option is using the editor to code it yourself.

Current RPG's: Pathfinder (GM), Pathfinder (Player), Gamma World (GM, Pathfinder homebrew).
HeroLab: 3.5 & Pathfinder. HL User Files for PF: Greyhawk Setting, Gamma World (WIP).

DM and player of D&D since 1980.
Dami is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
cap708g

Old March 21st, 2020, 12:57 AM
If someone could please write community supported files for Omdura, that would be awesome. It's a great class and some friends and I really enjoy playing it. Unfortunately, it's really tough to make it work in Hero Lab just by line-iteming additions and subtractions of powers from Inquisitor.
cap708g is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old December 4th, 2020, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap708g View Post
If someone could please write community supported files for Omdura, that would be awesome. It's a great class and some friends and I really enjoy playing it. Unfortunately, it's really tough to make it work in Hero Lab just by line-iteming additions and subtractions of powers from Inquisitor.
You have to be careful with writing community data and sharing it, unless there's an ogl covering it you might be violating copyright...

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Thkaal

Old November 30th, 2020, 11:47 PM
If this still hasn't happened, I'll get to work on it.
Thkaal is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
thaX

Old December 9th, 2020, 08:21 PM
I have always been confused by the copyright particulars when it comes to creating characters using an aid such as Herolab or Heroforge (that never got released, alas).

Character generators go off of the written word within the pages of a book the uses typically already owns. Though I do understand that one can not sell such worked files without license, why would it being given to others in a community (like Mod Files for a game) be in violation?
thaX is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old December 9th, 2020, 11:57 PM
It's not just selling that would be a violation - so is copying and distribution.
From the PF Core Rulebook: "No portion of this work other than the material designated as Open Game Content may be reproduced in any form without written permission." Lone Wolf has permission to publish the files/data for the systems in HL. As user's of HL (or owners of RPG books), we don't.

Current RPG's: Pathfinder (GM), Pathfinder (Player), Gamma World (GM, Pathfinder homebrew).
HeroLab: 3.5 & Pathfinder. HL User Files for PF: Greyhawk Setting, Gamma World (WIP).

DM and player of D&D since 1980.
Dami is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Doskious

Old June 20th, 2021, 06:30 PM
Full Disclosure: I do not own the relevant sourcebook, the "Niobe Pathfinder Module".

That being said, I have it on very good authority that, just as with every publication for Pathfinder 1e, there can be found at the back of the book the OGL itself following the standard statements about compliance and the designation of "Product Identity" and "Open Game Content" -- the Open Game Content definition specifies "game mechanics" as is standard in that section, and nowhere in the subsequent copyright designations is anything presented that, in my (#notlegaladvice, #iamnotalawyer) personal opinion, could even unreasonably be interpreted as applying to the Omdura class.

As such, the game mechanics of the class would seem to be fair game for replication, adaptation, and circulation. (Note, if there is an issue with the class name potentially being "Product Identity", it's trivial to rename the class without altering the mechanics, which are very obviously covered by the OGL.) This being the case, I've attached what I believe should be a fully-functional Omdura class definition.
Attached Files
File Type: email PFRPG_Omdura.user (40.5 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by Doskious; June 20th, 2021 at 06:32 PM.
Doskious is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Shareeth

Old September 23rd, 2021, 01:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doskious View Post
Full Disclosure: I do not own the relevant sourcebook, the "Niobe Pathfinder Module".

That being said, I have it on very good authority that, just as with every publication for Pathfinder 1e, there can be found at the back of the book the OGL itself following the standard statements about compliance and the designation of "Product Identity" and "Open Game Content" -- the Open Game Content definition specifies "game mechanics" as is standard in that section, and nowhere in the subsequent copyright designations is anything presented that, in my (#notlegaladvice, #iamnotalawyer) personal opinion, could even unreasonably be interpreted as applying to the Omdura class.

As such, the game mechanics of the class would seem to be fair game for replication, adaptation, and circulation. (Note, if there is an issue with the class name potentially being "Product Identity", it's trivial to rename the class without altering the mechanics, which are very obviously covered by the OGL.) This being the case, I've attached what I believe should be a fully-functional Omdura class definition.
Thank you for making this! It has an error in line 176 and 177. How should it be altered to fix it?
Shareeth is offline   #10 Reply With Quote