Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

spannclann

Old January 3rd, 2023, 01:17 PM
Are sidekicks in HL? I can't seem to find where I create them, nor am I smart enough to figure out how to code them apparently, since I have tried (just not sure where to start). Are there any hints, tips, tricks, files, etc. that someone/anyone can give?
spannclann is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Provos

Old January 3rd, 2023, 01:42 PM
On the content selection there seems to be a checkbox for Sidekicks under Essential Kit. Sidekick also seems to be available as a Race there are 4 of them. One for expert, spellcaster, healer, and warrior.

Last edited by Provos; January 3rd, 2023 at 01:45 PM.
Provos is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
spannclann

Old January 3rd, 2023, 02:06 PM
Thanks, I totally missed that. I am curious, each Sidekick "race" states humanoid. Are these still used for animals, such as bears, wolves, tigers, etc?
spannclann is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Provos

Old January 3rd, 2023, 03:05 PM
I know is Tasha's it says they can be other creatures but it doesn't seem like it has been set up yet.
Provos is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
spannclann

Old January 3rd, 2023, 03:41 PM
Okay. I did find the way they did it was VERY clunky...
spannclann is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Provos

Old January 3rd, 2023, 03:51 PM
Unfortunately D&D only allowed the basic rules to be sold for character creation. The community has to get things to work while not having access to the base files. Maybe someone else knows a different way to use it or know how it works better then I do and they can answer.
Provos is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
spannclann

Old January 3rd, 2023, 04:38 PM
I would think to keep the Sidekick race, but set up "Variants" that would be the actual race of the Sidekick.
spannclann is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Fenris447

Old January 3rd, 2023, 08:45 PM
I set them up. Add any NPC/monster block from the encounter builder. Go to that NPC's configure hero screen and add Tasha's as a source. Then go to the class tab and add any of the three sidekick classes as a class level.

If anyone can think of a simpler way to implement that, I'd love to hear it.

For future reference, any time there is a new feature that isn't obvious, I try to add an explanation in the patch notes.

Found an issue with or have a suggestion for the 5e Community Pack? Please post it here at our GitHub.

Feel free to stop by the Lone Wolf Development Subreddit, for discussion of any and all LWD products and community efforts!

Last edited by Fenris447; January 3rd, 2023 at 08:55 PM.
Fenris447 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Fenris447

Old January 3rd, 2023, 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spannclann View Post
I would think to keep the Sidekick race, but set up "Variants" that would be the actual race of the Sidekick.

That would require "variants" of every single possible monster in 5e. Like...thousands of them. They'd have to each go in and modify the base sidekick race to match the stats of the race/monster they represent.

The way I set it up follows the way it's described by the text; pick a monster and grant it the sidekick features. You're describing a way where you pick the sidekick and grant it race features.

Found an issue with or have a suggestion for the 5e Community Pack? Please post it here at our GitHub.

Feel free to stop by the Lone Wolf Development Subreddit, for discussion of any and all LWD products and community efforts!

Last edited by Fenris447; January 3rd, 2023 at 08:51 PM.
Fenris447 is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
spannclann

Old January 3rd, 2023, 09:06 PM
How do you pick a race and grant them a sidekick feature?

I chose the race, selected the sidekick healer and get this error. The only way to not get the error is to choose the Sidekick Healer as the Race.
Attached Images
File Type: png sidekick.png (478.7 KB, 3 views)
spannclann is offline   #10 Reply With Quote