Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

Dragon5e

Old September 3rd, 2022, 07:53 PM
https://thekindgm.com/2022/09/02/une...gins-analysis/ talked about the upcoming D&D 5.5 or 6e. It give a iink to Dndbeyond where you can sign in and get the pdf to read. I figure the coders would want a look at the proposed changes to get an idea of possible change to the community code.
Dragon5e is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Fenris447

Old September 3rd, 2022, 09:59 PM
For now, they're calling it One D&D.

I have a lot of thoughts on it. I've read the entire document a few times and discussed it with many real life friends. I'm not going to comment much on it at the moment.

But suffice it to say, we're basically reaching our limits on what can be done with HLC's 5e without support from LWD.

Found an issue with or have a suggestion for the 5e Community Pack? Please post it here at our GitHub.

Feel free to stop by the Lone Wolf Development Subreddit, for discussion of any and all LWD products and community efforts!
Fenris447 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Provos

Old September 4th, 2022, 11:57 AM
I can see the new character creation being impossible without LWD.
Provos is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old September 4th, 2022, 02:51 PM
I could easily have missed it, but nowhere in the coverage I've read concerning One D&D have I spotted any reference to a new System Reference Document. Without that, I expect Lone Wolf's hands are tied even it they wanted to implement the new stuff for Hero Lab Classic.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Fenris447

Old September 4th, 2022, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieluce View Post
I could easily have missed it, but nowhere in the coverage I've read concerning One D&D have I spotted any reference to a new System Reference Document. Without that, I expect Lone Wolf's hands are tied even it they wanted to implement the new stuff for Hero Lab Classic.
Yeah. Even if there was a new SRD coming (I'm betting there will be, some time in 2024), LWD has no obligation to do anything about it. If there's not a significant reason for them to assume they can make money on a new data set, then I wouldn't expect them to do it.

I want to be clear; I understand why LWD doesn't support 5e any more. They have good reason not to touch anything outside of the SRD. And even when it comes to changes on the backend that would just be helpful for us, they have a budget and staff that they have to use as wisely as possible. Companies have to be responsible with how they allocate their resources, and need to make money to pay for those resources. And 5e just isn't a big deal for them, compared to HLO and Pathfinder. If they constantly go out of their way to just do favors for us, they're gonna go bankrupt and become unable to do anything for anyone.

So when I lament the lack of development for 5e, I'm screaming at the darkness of reality, not at LWD for having to pick their battles.

Found an issue with or have a suggestion for the 5e Community Pack? Please post it here at our GitHub.

Feel free to stop by the Lone Wolf Development Subreddit, for discussion of any and all LWD products and community efforts!
Fenris447 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old September 8th, 2022, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris447 View Post
I want to be clear; I understand why LWD doesn't support 5e any more. They have good reason not to touch anything outside of the SRD. And even when it comes to changes on the backend that would just be helpful for us, they have a budget and staff that they have to use as wisely as possible. Companies have to be responsible with how they allocate their resources, and need to make money to pay for those resources. And 5e just isn't a big deal for them, compared to HLO and Pathfinder. If they constantly go out of their way to just do favors for us, they're gonna go bankrupt and become unable to do anything for anyone.
This applies to them supporting Herolab Classic at all, not just 5E.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is online now   #6 Reply With Quote
Enforcer84

Old September 8th, 2022, 01:31 PM
All the awesome character creation software goes the way of the dodo eventually. I really appreciate all the work the community did with what we were given. This is still one of the best programs I've used in my nearly 40 years of my tabletop hobbies.
Enforcer84 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Fenris447

Old September 8th, 2022, 04:54 PM
Like I said, I'm not quite ready to talk about One D&D. But at the very least, I plan to support the 5e Community Pack through the end of next year.

Fenris447 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Fenris447

Old September 8th, 2022, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enforcer84 View Post
All the awesome character creation software goes the way of the dodo eventually. I really appreciate all the work the community did with what we were given. This is still one of the best programs I've used in my nearly 40 years of my tabletop hobbies.
That's why I haven't thought about switching to anything else. I've yet to find a better program for running 5e games. The tactical console, the editor, everything just works exactly the way I want. Nothing is more efficient or easy (once you get the hang of it).

Fenris447 is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Enforcer84

Old September 13th, 2022, 11:23 AM
Same. I do love this one.
Enforcer84 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote