Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Nychrome

Old May 16th, 2017, 06:05 PM
I was discussing this with a few of my friends that also have their own license to hero lab and we thought it would be cool if you could set load outs for the settings of what content you use for specific character or the ability to save and export a load out so you can share them with other people so they know what they have access to during character creation.
Nychrome is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old May 16th, 2017, 10:02 PM
It's easy enough to make a starting character, name it after the campaign, set the configuration you want, and save it. Then when you want to make another character with the same settings, load that portfolio, set up the character, and do a Save As.

Settings can be transferred between existing characters by loading the character with the settings you want to duplicate, using Set Defaults, loading the character you want to copy them to, then using Use Defaults.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Kiirnodel

Old May 17th, 2017, 02:47 AM
True, but there is the point that an option to save multiple "defaults" could be useful. That way you could have a load-out for when you're creating a Pathfinder Society Character, a version for when you're making a character for a standard home-game, and a separate one for when you're the GM making whatever.

Needing to load up a specific character to "copy" the configuration, to then move that over and reset to the new default is sort of a hacked alternative to actually having the option for multiple configuration settings.
Kiirnodel is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Kizan

Old May 17th, 2017, 05:28 AM
This would be a great feature. Especially if the config file could synced via "the cloud" in some way.

Kizan

Me: How bad could it be?
Him: What's the worst that could happen?
Kizan is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Azhrei

Old May 18th, 2017, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiirnodel View Post
True, but there is the point that an option to save multiple "defaults" could be useful.
Um, that's what he suggested. You create a portfolio named "PFS" and one named "Homebrew". Create characters by loading one of those and then using Save As. Easy-peasy.

Quote:
Needing to load up a specific character to "copy" the configuration, to then move that over and reset to the new default is sort of a hacked alternative to actually having the option for multiple configuration settings.
This is only if you ALREADY have a character that doesn't use the settings that you want it to use.

Try out each option and you'll see what he's talking about, I think. It's actually a very generic approach that's quite effective.
Azhrei is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Kizan

Old May 18th, 2017, 10:46 AM
Sorry Azhrei, I disagree. I have multiple players each with a copy of HL. Several GMs run different games concurrently, we want to have ONE place for GMs/Players get a default list of sources for a specific campaign. If this settings file were on a internet that would be even better.

This way as new players join a game it's easy for them to build new PCs and join the game quickly. It would also allow them to check which sources they need to purchase to be compliant with the current set of defaults.

Passing a character file around just doesn't cut it. Especially if the defaults need to change (say if new material is added) or if someone new wants to use a feature that wasn't in the original set of sources. Every player will have to go through every PC in that game and check all their defaults. Ugh, at that point why bother to even HAVE "defaults" as they quickly get out of sync with what the "real" defaults should be.

Kizan

Last edited by Kizan; May 18th, 2017 at 11:12 AM.
Kizan is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old May 18th, 2017, 06:01 PM
Oh, it's definitely a hack, but it's the best way I've found to deal with the issue given what we have to work with. We're only sharing players between three different games, though, so emailing the portfolio to players that are new or if it gets updated has worked for us.

Currently Playing:
charlieluce is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Kizan

Old May 19th, 2017, 05:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieluce View Post
Oh, it's definitely a hack, but it's the best way I've found to deal with the issue given what we have to work with. We're only sharing players between three different games, though, so emailing the portfolio to players that are new or if it gets updated has worked for us.
We tried this for awhile but started having problems when the PCs got to be high level and more PC per .por file. Both of these had a distinct affect on the stability of the iPad app. So we had to go with one PC per .por file. Even moving to one PC per .port hitting 12th or 13th level and we noticed that the app we just crash and die (on current generation iPads).

Kizan

Kizan is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old May 19th, 2017, 09:28 AM
Ah. We're an all-laptop crew (we use MapTool as well as Hero Lab) so we don't have iPad issues.

During any given game I probably have Hero Lab, MapTool, browser, PDF reader, and possibly Skype open, along with text notes. Not a tablet situation.

Currently Playing:
charlieluce is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Dhrakken

Old May 19th, 2017, 12:04 PM
I second this... I'm in a game where the GM only allows core and APG (and some ACG) and I run a game where I allow pretty much everything under the sun. It's a PITA when I load up Walter to level him up and I'm looking at feats that aren't allowed because the settings are defaulting to my other campaign!
Dhrakken is offline   #10 Reply With Quote