Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Farling

Old November 16th, 2021, 01:47 AM
Version 1.14.1 is available

The secret style is always added to GM Directions during import.

If the secret style is manually removed from a GM Directions paragraph then an inline warning will be displayed to the GM indicating that the GM directions might be visible to players.

To restore the situation, the user can manually deselect the "GM Directions (not secret)" on the paragraph(s) and then reselect "GM Directions (secret)" for them.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #151 Reply With Quote
Sword_of_Spirit

Old November 16th, 2021, 04:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
Version 1.14.1 is available

The secret style is always added to GM Directions during import.

If the secret style is manually removed from a GM Directions paragraph then an inline warning will be displayed to the GM indicating that the GM directions might be visible to players.

To restore the situation, the user can manually deselect the "GM Directions (not secret)" on the paragraph(s) and then reselect "GM Directions (secret)" for them.
That works. I was more thinking of a visually distinct look to them, but this will do the job to make sure I don't accidentally leave my secrets un-secreted. Thanks!
Sword_of_Spirit is offline   #152 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old November 16th, 2021, 12:05 PM
I haven't followed the last few updates closely, so forgive if this was already adressed, but two things came to my mind:

a) Journal Entries do have a text and an image section. So far, everything in a RW topic goes in the text section. Any images are embedded in the text. This is totally fine! But I wish, if a topic has one or more images, the first image would also go to the image part of the Foundry Journal Entry. Because there I can click "Show Players".
For example, most of my NPCs do not have a statblock. Shop- and Innkeepers, Story-NPCs and such don't really need one. But they usually have an image that I want to show the players.

b) A minor issue: Initially everything imported went into a compendium. Now it just goes straight into the world. With my realm consisting of 2000+ topics, that makes Foundry load very slow. Especially for some of my players with low end hardware and sub-standard internet access.
Any chance of having a "put stuff in compendia" checkbox?

Apart from that I just want to reiterate: I can't thank you enough for your work!

Find my stuff on

_|_ F i c t i o n a l m a p s . c o m _|_ D r i v e t h r u R P G _|_
Merion is offline   #153 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old November 17th, 2021, 04:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merion View Post
I haven't followed the last few updates closely, so forgive if this was already adressed, but two things came to my mind:

a) Journal Entries do have a text and an image section. So far, everything in a RW topic goes in the text section. Any images are embedded in the text. This is totally fine! But I wish, if a topic has one or more images, the first image would also go to the image part of the Foundry Journal Entry. Because there I can click "Show Players".
For example, most of my NPCs do not have a statblock. Shop- and Innkeepers, Story-NPCs and such don't really need one. But they usually have an image that I want to show the players.
Displaying the image inline is easy enough - replacing it or marking it as being the image for the journal entry is more complicated.

Is it possible to have Foundry only make the picture visible to players and not the journal entries?

Quote:
b) A minor issue: Initially everything imported went into a compendium. Now it just goes straight into the world. With my realm consisting of 2000+ topics, that makes Foundry load very slow. Especially for some of my players with low end hardware and sub-standard internet access.
Any chance of having a "put stuff in compendia" checkbox?
The reason I moved from compendium to world was because of the additional linking support that was added for smart images. I don't remember the specific issue about what wouldn't work in compendiums, it may have been an issue with Foundry 0.7.x which isn't relevant to Foundry 0.8.x

Quote:
Apart from that I just want to reiterate: I can't thank you enough for your work!

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Last edited by Farling; November 17th, 2021 at 04:24 AM.
Farling is offline   #154 Reply With Quote
Sword_of_Spirit

Old November 17th, 2021, 04:14 AM
I think current Foundry still doesn't preserve content links in compendiums. At least as far as map notes and such.
Sword_of_Spirit is offline   #155 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old November 17th, 2021, 04:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sword_of_Spirit View Post
I think current Foundry still doesn't preserve content links in compendiums. At least as far as map notes and such.
There is supposedly a separate module which allows you to move things from world to compendium and maintain links - but I've never used it, and I don't know if it has limitations such as you suggest.

Farling

Farling is offline   #156 Reply With Quote
Sword_of_Spirit

Old November 18th, 2021, 04:16 AM
Quote:
There is supposedly a separate module which allows you to move things from world to compendium and maintain links - but I've never used it, and I don't know if it has limitations such as you suggest.
Yeah, Scene Packer is supposed to allow you to do that. I haven't looked at it yet, but the impression I got was that it's a bit of an involved process, not just a matter of enabling a module and clicking some settings.
Sword_of_Spirit is offline   #157 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old November 18th, 2021, 05:52 AM
I saw some comment that Foundry v9 is going to allow templates to be created on a per-system basic for journal entries (like they are already doing for Actors and Items). This could cause issues for my nice generic import, we will have to wait and see.

Compendiums do not allow permissions to be set, so all the revealed information from the RW file would be lost.

Farling

Last edited by Farling; November 18th, 2021 at 07:07 AM.
Farling is offline   #158 Reply With Quote
Sword_of_Spirit

Old November 20th, 2021, 01:36 AM
Quote:
I saw some comment that Foundry v9 is going to allow templates to be created on a per-system basic for journal entries (like they are already doing for Actors and Items). This could cause issues for my nice generic import, we will have to wait and see.

Compendiums do not allow permissions to be set, so all the revealed information from the RW file would be lost.
While it would of course be superior if we could keep everything in compendiums and still have it functional, given that I doubt that will be an option any time soon, I'd much rather have the current ability to keep the reveal state, than be able to keep it in compendiums.

With my 3000+ journal entries, and dozens of scenes, the scenes and journal databases are still clocking in at less than 10 MB total (thanks for that revision that reduced size!) Persistent scenes are normally going to be world maps rather than battle maps (at least in my case, I'm not sure if others do it differently). If I need to keep a bunch of battlemaps after use, I can stuff them in compendiums, because they won't need the level of linking and integration with journal entries and other maps that the world maps do. But I'm also new to Foundry, so I'm not sure where performance issues set in, though I was told that the sort of text-based journal entries I have aren't really a problem.

So all that's to say that I definitely wouldn't want to lose any current functionality from the importer to add additional functionality.

Last edited by Sword_of_Spirit; November 20th, 2021 at 01:45 AM.
Sword_of_Spirit is offline   #159 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old November 20th, 2021, 06:32 AM
I think it is an optimisation that Foundry really needs to make internally.

Their current architecture has all the world's contents downloaded to the browser when you first log onto the game - this obviously requires, in your case, downloading all 3000 journal entries to any GM. I'm not sure if players get only the revealed journal entries or also get all 3000 sent to them!

It's a shame that they can't work on a download-on-first-use basis.

Farling

Farling is offline   #160 Reply With Quote