Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

daplunk

Old July 26th, 2018, 02:58 PM
As you get more comfortable with the process you will quickly learn that you may be able to reduce your efforts by searching the Racial Special Abilities list before you make a new one.

Many of the Racial Special Abilities get reused in monster stat blocks. Amphibious for example. We have god knows how many copies of that available. As long as the thing has the 5C in the name you know it is part of the community pack already. So linking to that won't cause any issues for the user so you can safely re-use it.

Note however that the description texts may not match what you need so it's a good idea to check them once you have added one by looking the monster up in Hero Lab.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old July 26th, 2018, 03:17 PM
In an attempt to get this as organised as possible I have just created a Project Kanban Board within the Github site. Please use this to communicate what you plan on working on and what you have completed.

I have done it by Alphabetical letters. Ie one person to work on all monsters that start with A while another works on everything that starts with B. This will reduce the noise made by all the communication.

CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old July 26th, 2018, 05:12 PM
Have updated the instructions for how to handle some more detail.

How to add Natural Attacks and how to program the limited use abilities.

CC3+ Facebook User Group

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old July 26th, 2018, 08:33 PM
As a bit of a more advanced lesson.

I just needed to add the following ability. It is considered a Natural Attack within Hero Lab.

Quote:
Spit Rock. Ranged Weapon Attack: +17 to hit, range 120/240 ft., one target. Hit: 31 (6d8+10) bludgeoning damage.
So i added the Natural Attack using the same process I mention above. I used 'wOtherRng' at the Natural Attack thing that I bootstrap to my monster. When I loaded this up in Hero Lab though it had a range of 0ft. I needed it to show the 120/240ft.

The Reach option within the wOtherRng config did not work. So I needed to find out what field to modify on this bootstrapped item in order to modify it. This is how I did that.

1. From within HLC make sure Data File Debugging is enabled. You do this from HLC > Develop > Enable Data File Debugging.
2. This enables the ability to right click on elements within Hero Lab and obtain more information.
3. Right click on the Spit Rock ability that I made.
4. Click Show Debug Fields for Spit Rock (Zaratan)
4. This lists all the field options that can be set for the Spit Rock thing that is bootstrapped to my Zaratan.
5. Search for Range
6. Locate the Fields for what you want to modify. In my case I need to set the Normal and Long Range for this ability so I was looking for wRangeLong and wRangeNorm.

7. Back within the Editor go monster (Race > Race > Locate monster in list
8. Select Natural Attacks and click the Fields button on the natural attack that you want to modify. For me that was the Spit Rock attack.
9. Add 2x fields.
10. For the first one - Field Id: wRangeLong | Value: 240 | Assign
11. For the second one - Field Id: wRangeNorm | Value: 120 | Assign

12. Click ok and then ok and then click Test Now to confirm your changes and review them in HLC to confirm they worked.

You can do all sorts of cool stuff with this knowledge.

CC3+ Facebook User Group

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials

Last edited by daplunk; July 26th, 2018 at 08:36 PM.
daplunk is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old July 26th, 2018, 09:05 PM
How to add Innate Spellcasting

Some of the monsters / npcs will require this.

1. Locate your monster in the Hero Lab Editor (Race > Race > Locate monster in list)
2. Click the Spellcasting Helper button.
3. Tick Innate Spellcasting and click OK and then OK.
4. Click the Innate Spells Edit button.
5. Tick the spells the monster knows and click OK.
6. Set the Total Charges and Usage Period? and click OK.
Example:
For At Will spells just change Usage Period? at At Will.
For 2/day set Total Charges to 2 and Usage Period? to /day.

For the specific monster I was working on I had an additional challenge.

Quote:
At will: alter self (can become Medium when changing her appearance), detect evil and good, fireball, invisibility (self only), wall of fire
3/day each: blade barrier, dispel evil and good, finger of death
By adding the Innate Spells to the monster all that was displayed by default is the Alter Self spell name. In order to add the additional text I needed to make a further change.

1. From within HLC make sure Data File Debugging is enabled. You do this from HLC > Develop > Enable Data File Debugging.
2. This enables the ability to right click on elements within Hero Lab and obtain more information.
3. Right click the spell I want to modify (Alter Self) form the In-Play column and select Show Debug Fields for Alter Self (Zariel)
4. Search the list for fields that contain the word 'Name'.
5. Locate one that sounds like the one you need to change. This can take some testing sometimes. In this case it was the sNameMod that I needed to modify so I noted that down.

6. Go back into the Editor and open up the monster.
7. Click the Innate Spellcasting button and locate the spell you want to modify.
8. Click the Fields button.
9. Click to Add another Field.
10. Set Field Id: sNameMod | Value: can become Medium when changing her appearance | Assign
11. Click OK and OK
12. Click Test Now and check the changes in HLC. As you can see the name is now modified in the various locations that you can see the spell name within HLC. Note that HLC added the ( and ) itself. All I needed to add was the additional text I wanted to display.

CC3+ Facebook User Group

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials

Last edited by daplunk; July 26th, 2018 at 09:07 PM.
daplunk is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old July 26th, 2018, 09:22 PM
Ok this monster keeps presenting learning opportunities. I needed to add this:

Quote:
Legendary Resistance (3/Day). If Zariel fails a saving throw, she can choose to succeed instead.
Instead of re-creating Legendary Resistance as I know it has already been made multiple times I simply bootstrapped it to my monster.

1. Monster > Racial Special Abilities > Click to add another bootstrap > Search for Legendary Resistance > There are 18 to pick from! > I went from the one that sounded like it was the first one made. raLegResis > The lack of the 5C or any other identifier in the name tells me this was likely made by LWD so I picked this one.
2. I then click OK and OK and Test Now to save my changes and load the monster in HLC.
3. When loaded I noticed that Legendary Resistance was added and the description matched my needs but it could only be used 1/day. I needed it to be used 3/day.
4. Right click on the Legendary Resistance in the Specials column in HLC and click Show Debug Fields for Legendary Resistance (1/day).
5. Search through the list for something that has a value of 1.
6. I found abUserVal = 1 and noted down that name.
7. Back in the Editor I clicked on Racial Special Abilities and located Legendary Resistance in the list. I clicked on Fields.
8. I clicked to add another field and set the following:
Field Id: abUserVale | Value: 3 | Assign
9. I clicked OK > OK > Test Now and confirmed the change was successful in HLC.

CC3+ Facebook User Group

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old July 26th, 2018, 10:16 PM
If you see a monster that is going to need to carry a weapon or wear armour we need to add proficiency to use that item. With monsters you can add specific proficiency to use specific weapons and armour. I'm not a fan of this as Hero Lab lets you change weapons and armour so easily so best to make the monsters capable of using other stuff.

The monster I'm making can use a Longsword and a Jevelin. Longsword is a Martial Melee Weapon while Javelin is a Simple Melee Weapon. Thus I will add Martial Weapon Proficiency as it is higher.

To do this locate the monster in Race > Race > Monster Name

Tick the option you want them to have (Martial Weapons) and click OK > OK > Test Now! to apply the changes.

Now the monster can pick the weapons within Hero Lab and will be proficient in them.

CC3+ Facebook User Group

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
FreakFire74

Old July 27th, 2018, 08:39 AM
You've been busy! Thanks for all the updates.
FreakFire74 is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
FreakFire74

Old July 27th, 2018, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
As you get more comfortable with the process you will quickly learn that you may be able to reduce your efforts by searching the Racial Special Abilities list before you make a new one.

Many of the Racial Special Abilities get reused in monster stat blocks. Amphibious for example. We have god knows how many copies of that available. As long as the thing has the 5C in the name you know it is part of the community pack already. So linking to that won't cause any issues for the user so you can safely re-use it.

Note however that the description texts may not match what you need so it's a good idea to check them once you have added one by looking the monster up in Hero Lab.
Tried this. When added to HL it says: "The {abText} has advantage on attack roll..." (skipped the rest because its the first part that wasnt showing the creature name).

When I mouseover it skips the name of the creature entirely: "The has advantage"..
FreakFire74 is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
FreakFire74

Old July 27th, 2018, 09:02 AM
BTW, do we also add stuff like attacks? Do they work the same as racial abilities?

For instance. Adult Kruthic has:

Multiattack. The kruthik makes two stab attacks or two spike attacks.
Stab. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6+3) piercing damage.
Spike. Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d4+3) piercing damage.

Stab & Spike are natural attacks and will most likely follow the steps youve described above. Right? What about multiattack?
FreakFire74 is offline   #20 Reply With Quote