Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Dryder

Old October 18th, 2014, 03:56 AM
Hi there. I backed RW but only now have the time to start using it.

One thing which isn't clear for me is the following:

When I create a realm, does that mean:

- I create a realm for a given published module?
For example, when I want to insert the PF-Module THE DRAGONS DEMAND into RW.

- or do I create a realm for the whole Campaign setting?
Where all my stuff for Golarion will be inserted, as well as all the modules I plan to play...

Or can I incorporate Setting stuff, and use it in other realms?
Dryder is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Shadowy_one

Old October 18th, 2014, 05:34 AM
I put My complete campaing(s) into the World Almanac. That way I have all the Information I Need in one place and can move whatever I Need for a module/adventure into the Story Almanac
Shadowy_one is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old October 18th, 2014, 07:39 AM
Are you planning to run just the single module or will it fit into a longer campaign setting? I am setting up a world so I am inputting material for the larger world beyond and I'm inputting material for various modules into that same campaign.

Early next year when the marketplace is online, you will be able to transfer material between campaigns. At that point, it doesn't matter. For the short term, I'd recommend building it all as one campaign with the things you aren't needing to see for the current adventure stored in the World Almanac.
AEIOU is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
JustinThomason

Old October 18th, 2014, 09:13 AM
In my method of using the software, Realm = Campaign.

For instance, I'm putting together a campaign using the Paizo Kingmaker AP. In the Story Almanac I'm putting all the material that is directly affecting the players (NPC's, Adventure Areas, etc). I'm using the World Almanac for information about Golarion at large (mostly the gods at this point). I'm not planning on putting in tons of Golarion info that doesn't have a fairly direct bearing on the campaign (Who's the Lord Mayor of Magnimar? What's the name of the current queen of Cheliax? Who cares for this Campaign?).

If I end up needing to add some other World stuff as reference as we go along, I will, but I'm trying to keep the scope of this Realm to something workable, and focusing my attention on what will be used at the table.

In the future, once content sharing is available, I might rethink this plan and start populating larger "seed Realms" that are basically only the generic information of the setting, so I can use them to bootstrap into another campaign.

Of course, I'm also hoping that Lone Wolf will strike some deals with content providers and I'll be able to buy an officially licensed package for, say, The Inner Sea World Guide - I'd pay quite a bit for a complete campaign setting that I didn't have to enter myself.
JustinThomason is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Pollution

Old October 24th, 2014, 04:50 AM
Agreed with Realm = Campaign in general, BUT....

Okay, my Pathfinder game is RotRL. I have everything entered for the world, all the special rules, etc...

I wanted to do a one shot of We Be Goblins.... Why not put it in my Realm, just as a contained plot/story? So I did. I saved a ton of time on needing to put in descriptions, or character sheets, since a lot of the gobos in RotRL are mentioned in WBG!

REALLY, it's up to you on how you do it. I personally keep all my games separate, unless they obviously take place in the same area/world.

A great example of how I'd use a Realm as a general storage space for all games would be the old World of Darkness line. They all take place in the same universe. So if I'm running Vampire one week, Werewolf the next and the occasional Mage game, I'd put it all in one realm, with a tag on which game each NPC/Item/etc... pertains to (game system tag being editable would be amazing LW, get to it!).

Some characters (Samuel Haight) would be a pain to do like that, but most are one game line only. In Twink Haight's example, I'd just have him as an entity (not an individual) since those are overarching in my mind.

But generally, yes. Each campaign is going to be a separate realm. Some exceptions exist.

We REALLY need to get that marketplace and content sharing up though, I'm in desperate need to give LW my money so that I can stop putting RotRL into RW, my fingers hurt after 2 books and all the background material. lol
Pollution is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old October 24th, 2014, 04:59 AM
One thing to remember, the best part of Realm Works? There is no real wrong answer, its what ever works best for you.

However the above advice is really good, and I have done much the same. I am building my campaign in a new world of my own IP. So Game world information will go into World Almanac.

Each of the Campaign Plots/Modules/Adventure (I always break them up) will go in as Story Almanacs, with the intent of merging them as they are completed.
Exmortis is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old October 24th, 2014, 05:05 AM
May recommend before you jump in, take the time watch and follow along in RW these tutorials.

They are very helpful and informative, and may help you figure out what is the best way to attack your current project. If nothing else, they really help you get used to and better undertstand the UI and its functionality. Also may make statements made here, make more sense.

My best advice? Do not be in a rush, take your time, this extra time now, will pay dividends in the end.

http://www.wolflair.com/realmworks/s...torial-videos/
Exmortis is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Kimco

Old May 2nd, 2016, 05:02 PM
It sounds like some people are implying you could put the Pathfinder world Golarion into the World Almanac and the different AP into Story Almanacs?
If that is true, does it cause any issues having so much content in one Realm? It sort of makes sense since it is all one world.
Kimco is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old May 2nd, 2016, 05:49 PM
The 'Story Almanac' is just a view. Think of it like a filter of the 'World Almanac'.
daplunk is online now   #9 Reply With Quote
Kimco

Old May 2nd, 2016, 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
The 'Story Almanac' is just a view. Think of it like a filter of the 'World Almanac'.
Got it.

But are there any resource concerns if one was to input multiple AP's into a single Realm?
Kimco is offline   #10 Reply With Quote