Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Acenoid

Old July 15th, 2018, 12:36 PM
So we have currently 7 views to our disposal. Currently I use all of them. Now I wondered - The bulk tagging requires to create a temporary view in which I only place topics that should be edited. So effectively I have only 6 views I could work with. Anyone knows a workaround for either more views or by being able to keep my current views?

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old July 15th, 2018, 01:39 PM
They are hard coded to 7. LWD would need to expand this

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old July 15th, 2018, 04:18 PM
Why isn't 6 views enough to work with? :-)

I've only used two: one for the current game session, and one for the current story arc.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old July 16th, 2018, 12:55 AM
I need more than the pre-defined views. I have big realm, need to filter the content because it improves the readability and the performance. :/

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.
Valyar is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old July 16th, 2018, 01:17 AM
But why keep them around all the time? I just create views as I need them then delete them when I'm done.

When I'm working on a new adventure I create a view for that but when its done, away it goes. When I'm in the mood to flesh out stuff that is incomplete, empty etc. I create a view based on the utility tags. When I'd done going through those I delete it. I've never run out of views.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old July 16th, 2018, 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
But why keep them around all the time? I just create views as I need them then delete them when I'm done.

When I'm working on a new adventure I create a view for that but when its done, away it goes. When I'm in the mood to flesh out stuff that is incomplete, empty etc. I create a view based on the utility tags. When I'd done going through those I delete it. I've never run out of views.
I think the question is not "Why do you need more?" so much as it is "Why is this apparently arbitrary limitation in place?".

It's a valid question. There may be a technical reason why, but without that knowledge it appears to be strangely small.
MaxSupernova is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old July 16th, 2018, 08:35 AM
When Rob was asked, back in 2016 IIRC, he said he couldn't imagine anyone ever needing more than 7 so he hardcoded the limit.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old July 16th, 2018, 11:57 AM
Yeah, that's not an entirely surprising explanation.
MaxSupernova is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old July 16th, 2018, 01:39 PM
Back when I had one realm with 20+ products in it I wanted way more than 7.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old July 18th, 2018, 12:40 PM
I hosted the same games for different groups, though Iam using already a "used realm" with revealed content, none of my players is acutally using Rw. Therefore iam "safe"

So all the adventures were in separate views. I also had a few (deleted already most of them) views in the mechanics section, to improve readability have a faster search.

I would so much like if the searching would be possible with less popups and clicks...

Well, that's basically it. Deleting the views means I would need to find and sort the scenes / places / characters used in a particular adventure again.

I thought already about splitting my realm into
1. mechanics
2. pristine realm containing the lore & world
3-x adventures adding on top of the lore & world adding scenes.

But it sounds so wasteful currently. It would mean to invest much time to split clean export everything.
Everytime I update rules / lore I need to import it into eventually running adventures...
Also it's wasteful on harddrive and network traffic, since I have duplicate information in several places.

If you have better ideas Iam all ears

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #10 Reply With Quote