Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Dami

Old November 12th, 2015, 12:24 AM
I've been converting a 3.5 Class (Warlock) to Pathfinder. I've got everything set up and working, except that HeroLab doesn't think the class has a Caster Level. I've also converted the WarMage, but that shows the correct Caster Level when I make characters.

In Class --> Spellcasting details, I've set the Spellcaster Type as "Unrestricted", and Magic Type as "Arcane". There are no spells known/cast because the class uses Spell-like Abilities (defined as Custom Abilities).

What sets "tMaxCaster" so that it equals my Class levels?
Any suggestions? (Thanks in advance)
Dami is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old November 12th, 2015, 10:01 AM
I think the fact that you have no actual spells at any level is what is messing this up. The cCasterLev field basically cycles through the array which stores when you spells at what level, looking for the earliest level you get at least one spell known/memorized. If it doesn't find any it assumes "not a spellcaster" and sets itself to 0. Each class on the hero then forwards its own cCasterLev to the herofield, in such a way as only the highest is retained.

First, I would advise you double check the rules of your class. Does the warlock actually have a Caster level if all it does is use spell like abilities? If no, then you need do nothing, obviously. If yes, then you'll need to set the value of cCasterLev in a special script on the class helper. Have this script run shortly after Level 11000, which is when the "Calc cCasterLev" component script normally runs.
Aaron is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old November 12th, 2015, 10:42 PM
Thanks Aaron - I can work with that. The Warlock has a caster level = class level with Invocations (the Spell-like abilities).
I was thinking I'd have to write a script to set the caster level. You've likely saved me coming back to ask about timing and you've given me the right field to work with!
Dami is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Togainu

Old November 12th, 2015, 11:05 PM
Dami, just looking at the Warlock class. The class itself doesn't have a caster level. However his Invocations use his level as a caster level. There is a difference here.

As an example lets take a crafting feat (Pathfinder version one at least) require you to have a caster level by class. So the Warlock class wouldn't qualify for that. Seeing native they don't have a caster level. Just that one specific ability of theirs has something that relies on a caster level as such they make a clause for it that their level equals the caster level for that ability alone.

Which is made clear by this sentence in their class "A warlock's caster level with his invocations is equal to his warlock level." It calls out specifically it only has a caster level for that ability. This is much like how the new Kineticist class works in Pathfinder (one of the reason I made a feature request for concentration/SR check modifiers for them cause they aren't shown currently).

Last edited by Togainu; November 12th, 2015 at 11:10 PM.
Togainu is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old November 13th, 2015, 12:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Togainu View Post
Dami, just looking at the Warlock class. The class itself doesn't have a caster level. However his Invocations use his level as a caster level. There is a difference here.

As an example lets take a crafting feat (Pathfinder version one at least) require you to have a caster level by class. So the Warlock class wouldn't qualify for that. Seeing native they don't have a caster level. Just that one specific ability of theirs has something that relies on a caster level as such they make a clause for it that their level equals the caster level for that ability alone.

Which is made clear by this sentence in their class "A warlock's caster level with his invocations is equal to his warlock level." It calls out specifically it only has a caster level for that ability. This is much like how the new Kineticist class works in Pathfinder (one of the reason I made a feature request for concentration/SR check modifiers for them cause they aren't shown currently).
That's kinda what I was suspecting, based on what I remembered about the 3.5 version of the class, but I am not sure how much his group or whatever source he has pulled this from changed things to "pathfinderize" the warlock. Hence the advice to double check the written rules.

Honestly, I had a powerful dislike for this class back in the 3.5 days, despite it being one of the earlier classes I handled for the community files. I had a player who wanted to play it, but not only did I feel that it wasn't a good thematic feat for my games, but it also seemed beyond the higher end of the power scale.

I'm not saying if you like the class that's BadWrongFun, just that I didn't like it in my game.
Aaron is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old November 13th, 2015, 02:33 AM
Thanks Togainu, Aaron.

Yes, the class doesn't use spells and text states CL for invocations only. [My sources are 3.5 Complete Arcane, Errata and PFRPG Conversion Guide, and PFRPG Core.]

I like the Warlock and I'm mostly like to have it for NPC's. I've changed very little to convert it to PF. (I'm happy to post my Class description and user file if anyone's interested.)

Since 99% of their capabilities are spell-like abilities that are subject to spell resistance (and some requires saving throws), I'd like HeroLab to display a Caster Level and appropriate bonuses for Caster Level Checks, etc. I also want them to be able to be able to take some feats (that I feel they qualify for) without a validation error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Togainu View Post
As an example lets take a crafting feat (Pathfinder version one at least) require you to have a caster level by class. So the Warlock class wouldn't qualify for that.
Complete Arcane states: "For feats or prestige classes requiring a minimum caster level, creatures that use spell-like abilities or invocations instead of spells use either their fixed caster level or their class level to determine qualification. For example, Craft Wondrous Item has a requirement of caster level 3rd, so both a 3rd-level warlock and a nixie (caster level 4th for its charm person spell-like ability) meet the requirement."
On this basis I'd also like HeroLab to accept a caster level for Feat qualification, including Crafting. I accept that a Warlock does NOT qualify for things that have spell-casting as requirements.

In any case this is my interpretation for the campaigns that I run - and if I'm playing in another DM's campaign, I'm happy if they say no to all this.

While I was thinking about Aaron's suggestion for displaying a CL, I came up with another way of doing it which I implemented. Since the Warlock gets to use Detect magic (again a Spell-like ability) at 2nd level (and PF has this as a 0-level spell) I added a "Spells Cast per Level" into the array of 0, 1 (0-level spells) and assigned Detect Magic as the only available spell to be chosen at 2nd level. This now makes HL treat my Warlock as a caster and is assigning a Caster Level.

EDIT: I've been playing around with a test character and I'm thinking of going back to the script, so there's no confusion on the HL display about Detect Magic being a spell-like ability as opposed to it being available as a spell.

Last edited by Dami; November 13th, 2015 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Updated data
Dami is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Togainu

Old November 13th, 2015, 04:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dami View Post
Yes, the class doesn't use spells and text states CL for invocations only. [My sources are 3.5 Complete Arcane, Errata and PFRPG Conversion Guide, and PFRPG Core.]

Complete Arcane states: "For feats or prestige classes requiring a minimum caster level, creatures that use spell-like abilities or invocations instead of spells use either their fixed caster level or their class level to determine qualification. For example, Craft Wondrous Item has a requirement of caster level 3rd, so both a 3rd-level warlock and a nixie (caster level 4th for its charm person spell-like ability) meet the requirement."
On this basis I'd also like HeroLab to accept a caster level for Feat qualification, including Crafting. I accept that a Warlock does NOT qualify for things that have spell-casting as requirements.
My main reason for bringing the information up that I did is the FAQ/Errata towards how spell-like abilities work now a days in regards to Pathfinder. Which is as far as I know an alteration after the conversion document was made. Just be sure you don't end up with a this spell-like ability does work this way and the other doesn't. (These rules were altered because an Aasimar for example would be able to obtain certain prestige class entries on 3rd level already. Causing for major abilities to be obtained a LOT earlier then they were meant to.)

As for the sources for those alterations can be found in the FAQ page for the core rulebook:
http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9qp0
http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9qow

Last edited by Togainu; November 13th, 2015 at 05:07 AM.
Togainu is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old November 13th, 2015, 04:14 PM
Thanks - I hadn't seen alot of that FAQ (some is recent) and having clarification on PF rules is worthwhile. I'll take those into account.
Dami is offline   #8 Reply With Quote