Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

Vargr

Old February 15th, 2018, 07:11 AM
I have been looking at Aeontimeline a couple of times.

Graphically it looks impressive, but unfortunately it is useless for making custom calendars. :-(

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old February 15th, 2018, 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargr View Post
Graphically it looks impressive, but unfortunately it is useless for making custom calendars. :-(
It claims "Create your own custom fantasy calendar if your story takes place off-world."
https://www.aeontimeline.com/users/creative-writers/

Do you know that is incorrect?

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old February 15th, 2018, 09:57 AM
I looked at Aeon Timeline twice with a couple of years between - at those times I found that it didn't really allow custom calendars - or at least not in a way that made it worthwhile.

If I remember correctly, you could only make one custom calendar and not having several calendars at the same time. And the one custom calendar was pretty limited in how "strange" you could make it.

Having skimmed through the manual of the present version right now it doesn't seem to have changed.

But there is a possibility to download the program and try it out for a period of time before you have to decide whether to invest in it or stop using it.

I suggest that Conandy tries the program before buying - then he can see if the program does what he wants.

And ks666:
I might have been a little too abrupt in my first posting re. Aeon Timeline; my fault. - However, after having skimmed the latest manual it still seems that the program is not really the answer to the calendar needs - at least not mine.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Last edited by Vargr; February 15th, 2018 at 10:06 AM.
Vargr is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Greebo

Old February 16th, 2018, 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargr View Post
I looked at Aeon Timeline twice with a couple of years between - at those times I found that it didn't really allow custom calendars - or at least not in a way that made it worthwhile.

If I remember correctly, you could only make one custom calendar and not having several calendars at the same time. And the one custom calendar was pretty limited in how "strange" you could make it. (...)
I did try Aeon Timeline 2 a few weeks ago, and, as far as I mastered the program, you are absolutely right.

It allows you to quite easily set up a broad variety of months and weeks, but that is about it.
You cannot change the frequency of leap years and you cannot add leap months. There is no easy way to add lunar cycles, absolutely no way of setting up competing calendars (like Gregorian, Jewish and Islamic or "Human", "Elven" and "Orcish" or Earth and Proxima Centauri b) etc. asf.

For the time being I calculate most dates by hand with some help of the donjon fantasy calendar generator.

Hopefully, this feature RW comes sooner(TM) than late.

Supporting Calendar Campaigner

Tools: Realm Works, Campaign Cartographer 3+ and Add-ons, MapTools
Games: home brew world, Lord of the Rings (CODA), Shadowrun, Earthdawn
Greebo is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Conandy

Old February 19th, 2018, 08:52 PM
Well, I did grab a copy of Aeon Timeline 2 and I have been playing with it. It has a lot of potential, but unfortunately a lot of it is not very intuitive. The custom calendars are possible, but it does take a lot for granted in your calendar structure. Also, I can't figure out how to print or view an actual block style calendar.

I'd say as a custom fantasy calendar tool it is about 80% as functional as one might want. Compared to RW's 5% functional calendar tool as of today, it would be a huge improvement. I stand by my initial thought that it would be a great place for RW to take their timeline and calendar functionality.

I'm still playing with it when I have a few minutes here and there. If I come to any revelations regarding it, I'll share.
Conandy is offline   #15 Reply With Quote