Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Forums > Army Builder
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

harkan
Volunteer Data File Author

Old April 10th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Currently within a context you can either choose one or choose all. I would like to add a context which allows a user to set default weapon fits for vehicles, i.e. for an IG chimera you have a choice of 3 weapons for the turret and two for the hull.

I currently handle it with two contexts, one for the turret the other for the hull however it would be useful to extend this functionality to other things such as sergeants etc. To do so using the current contexts would mean a large collection of them.

Would it be possible to have the functionality to have a context with a a restricted amount of choices, i.e. in the example above it would be restrict to two. Possible ways could be by a tag added to the context or a legality restriction or a combo-box where the author can set the number of allowed selections.

thanks
harkan is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 17th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Hmmm. I thought I was following this and then I got completely confused. Since this is a request for new functionality, it's critical that I understand EXACTLY what you want. So I need to ask you to provide me with a detailed example of how this would work.

Do NOT tell me how you think the data files should implement things. Instead, tell me what you want the USER to see. Also, if you could give me an example regarding the Chimera and a SEPARATE example regarding the Sergeants, that would be ideal. Multiple examples will help me to distill out what the generalized behaviors need to be for a good long-term solution. :-)

Thanks, Rob

At 03:03 PM 4/10/2006, you wrote:

Quote:
Currently within a context you can either choose one or choose all. I would like to add a context which allows a user to set default weapon fits for vehicles, i.e. for an IG chimera you have a choice of 3 weapons for the turret and two for the hull.

I currently handle it with two contexts, one for the turret the other for the hull however it would be useful to extend this functionality to other things such as sergeants etc. To do so using the current contexts would mean a large collection of them.

Would it be possible to have the functionality to have a context with a a restricted amount of choices, i.e. in the example above it would be restrict to two. Possible ways could be by a tag added to the context or a legality restriction or a combo-box where the author can set the number of allowed selections.

thanks
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
harkan

Old April 18th, 2006, 06:22 AM
KO:

example 1 using the chimera. Turret has 3 possible weapon fits: multilaser, heavy bolter and heavy flamer, the hull has either no weapon, heavy flamer or heavy bolter. The user would see a list titled 'Chimera defaults' listing the above selections, i.e.

No defaults (set by default)
Turret - heavy bolter
Turret - heavy flamer
Turret - multilaser
Hull - none
Hull - heavy bolter
Hull - heavy flamer

From this list the user can select a maximum of two selections, one from the hull and one from the turret (normal legality statements would take care of the user selecting one from each part)

Dependant upon the selections when the chimera is selected the weapons are preset.

Example 2 using Imperial Guard infantry sergeant. He has the choices of laspistol/CCW, shotgun or lasgun. The user is presented with a context of "Sergeant Default Weapons" as follows:

Do not use defaults
Use laspistol/CCW
Use shotgun
Use lasgun

The user can select one from this list.

Better example using a veteran sergeant. Can select from 2 single handed weapons and 3 two handed weapons as follows:

No defaults
One handed - Bolt pistol
One handed - Plasma pistol
One handed - CCW
Two handed - Bolter
Two handed - Shotgun
Two handed - Storm bolter

The user can select up to two of these selections (2 x one handed or 1 x one handed and 1 x two handed). Veteran sergeants will then be equipped with this rgi out when selected.

This could be extended to Chaos marine aspiring champions who have a bucket load of options!!

Does that make it any clearer??
harkan is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
harkan

Old May 14th, 2006, 12:55 AM
Another area that this would be helpful in is the imperial guard doctrines where the user can select up to 5 selections from the list or the space marines traits where the user can select a certain number from the lists as well - by being able to restrict this amount then it would save further checking/rules once the roster is started
harkan is offline   #4 Reply With Quote