Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

liz
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 12th, 2016, 05:55 PM
The D&D 5th Edition SRD is out, so we can now make it official. Both Hero Lab and Realm Works will support D&D 5th Edition in the very near future! The unparalleled power of these tools will soon be yours to harness for the world’s most popular RPG.

We’re still going through the SRD in depth, so we’ll be announcing further details at the end of the week. In the meantime, though, here’s a brief update on what this means for both products.

Hero Lab
Flexible character creation is the hallmark of Hero Lab, and that’s something D&D players can look forward to shortly. More importantly, though, a key aspect of Hero Lab is its extensibility and customizability, and that will be critical to many D&D players. The SRD is a subset of the overall suite of D&D rulebooks, and Hero Lab will make it possible for users to readily go beyond the limits of the SRD. For GMs, we’ll also provide invaluable tools like the Encounter Builder and Tactical Console so you can streamline running your games.

When will it be available? The SRD has been openly discussed by Wizards of the Coast for over a year, so we’ve already built preliminary Hero Lab data files for D&D 5th Edition. We’re currently poring through the SRD to figure out what we have to omit and what holes we need to fill. We’ll provide a more informed release estimate by the end of the week, but we expect it to be a pretty short wait.

When released, current Hero Lab users will be able to add it to their license for $20, and new Hero Lab users will be able to select it as their initial purchase for only $29.99. Oh, and for those of you with tablets, D&D 5th Edition support WILL be available on the iPad!

Don’t miss the big release! Sign-up below and we’ll send you an email the moment D&D 5th Edition is available for Hero Lab!

Sign-Up Here

Realm Works
The SRD opens up new options for Realm Works, too! As we announced last month, the Realm Works Content Market will be launching in early 2016 with adventures, settings, and source material from award-winning and fan-favorite publishers like Paizo, Green Ronin Publishing, Kobold Press, Frog God Games, and more. We’ll obviously be making the D&D 5th Edition SRD available as well. Beyond that, the SRD will allow us to work with publishers to offer D&D 5th Edition adventures, settings, and more.

If you’re not familiar with Realm Works and our plans for the Content Market, now is the perfect time to find out what it’s all about! We’re currently hosting a regularly updated Spotlight Series, which outlines the Content Market release plan, showcases published content in Realm Works, and previews key Realm Works features. With the announcement of the SRD, we’ll share our plans for D&D support later in the series.

Plans for an Official License?
The plans above are based on supporting D&D 5th Edition through the recently released SRD. We’re still actively pursuing an official license with Wizards of the Coast to support the full D&D 5th Edition rules in Hero Lab and sell official D&D 5th Edition published content for Realm Works, and we’re doing everything we can to make that happen.

If an official license is signed for either product, we’ll definitely let everyone know with another announcement here and in our monthly newsletter!

To keep up with the latest news, make sure to “like” Hero Lab and Realm Works on Facebook, “follow” @lonewolfdevel on Twitter, and “follow” Lone Wolf Development on Google+.

(Originally posted on our website.)
liz is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
liz
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 12th, 2016, 05:56 PM
Please limit your comments/questions to ones about Realm Works. If you have any questions/comments about what this means for Hero Lab, post here. This will help keep things better organized for people following the discussion. Thanks!
liz is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Dredemer

Old January 12th, 2016, 09:19 PM
Excellent news, I hope a full license will follow!
Dredemer is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old January 12th, 2016, 10:28 PM
Very excited!

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old January 12th, 2016, 10:51 PM
Of course, now I'm wishing I'd been more patient before creating all the spells content. But the good news is I can not share the DD5e spell mechanics articles with my players.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Nikmal

Old January 13th, 2016, 12:52 AM
I am excited about this!

Last edited by Nikmal; January 13th, 2016 at 12:55 AM.
Nikmal is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Nikmal

Old January 13th, 2016, 12:55 AM
It is really cool that it is coming out on the iPad too!
Nikmal is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Dr_Automaton

Old January 13th, 2016, 04:32 AM
Great news. Now I'm looking forward to the launch of the content market even more. Sort of like MNBlockHead, I guess I can stop entering 5E content into my realm.
Dr_Automaton is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Gord

Old January 13th, 2016, 07:04 AM
Great news indeed. I only got up to "S" on the spell list when I was derailed by the update issues but I'll probably still finish it. I may not start much else in the way of articles though.
Gord is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
the_redbeard

Old January 13th, 2016, 06:19 PM
So, I'm guessing the following:

1) We'll be able to purchase the 5e SRD for Realm Works when the Content Market is available.

2) The 5e SRD for Realm Works would include:
a) The full text of the 5e SRD as topics and snippets in the Mechanics Reference of Realm Works.
b) Default selections and choices for snippets (like race, class, background, flaws, personality traits, etc) will reflect the options within 5e.

Is that correct?

And question: are you hiring free lancers to assist with data input for that?
the_redbeard is offline   #10 Reply With Quote