Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Eilserves

Old June 16th, 2017, 02:12 AM
Apologies, if I haven't relayed how these abilities work clearly, if you're not familiar with the class.

At 1st Level, the class gets 3 edges and 2 talents.
At 2nd, they get 3 more Edge, 2 more Talents.
Etc. These numbers change at different levels, but this should at least present the idea.

Edges are core abilities like, Fast Movement, Flurry of Blows, the Monk AC Bonus, etc, that stay in more of the archetypes (though do get removed at times).

Talents are other abilities that are "core" but are more frequently swapped out by Archetypes, such as Stunning Fist, which is replaced by Perfect Strike for the Weapon Adept, for example.

Regular monk gets Stunning Fist at 1st level. Talented Monk can opt for Stunning Fist at any level that they get a Talent at, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.

So Exp-req to lock Stunning First at minimum level doesn't address what is trying to be done. Some abilities, such as the Sipping Demon from Hungry Ghost, do have a minimum level and I have that working. But if the character selects it at a different, higher level, I was wanting the display on the "Monk (Talented)" tab to show what level it was chosen at, not the minimum level it is available at. Does that make sense?

Anyway, at this point the answer seems to be make a whole new ability rather than bootstrapping if I want the level to actually show, which eventually I might do, but again it seems like re-inventing the wheel to code up an entire new ability that is the exact same as an existing one.

All this might be moot anyway whenever the newer version of the files gets released. I had originally started adding abilities for my own benefit, but have given the work I've done so far to ShadowChemosh to possibly save him some effort on updating.
Eilserves is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 16th, 2017, 02:22 AM
Edges and Talents are basically custom abilities for the class, one would use Custom Ability table 1 and the other uses the second custom ability table. So for Stunning Fist, you'd make a copy of that ability as a custom ability, rig it to go through the Talent table, and leave off the Expr-req if that ability can be taken at any level. Basically your making the abilities as custom abilities and rigging them to go through one of two tables, which have their own arrays for determining how many of each you gain per level.

You just need to make custom abilities. You can create copies of the abilities from the Class Features tab in the editor, but your going to have to copy everything from the original to your new copy, including any eval scripts they have. If the level requirements for abilities are still enforced, you need an expr-req. That's all there is to it.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 16th, 2017, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eilserves View Post
Anyway, at this point the answer seems to be make a whole new ability rather than bootstrapping if I want the level to actually show, which eventually I might do, but again it seems like re-inventing the wheel to code up an entire new ability that is the exact same as an existing one.
Exactly this as its was a waste of time to convert a Class Ability into a Custom Ability for no real gain. Especially when that means Maintenance falls into the hand of the community again which is bad. By bootstrapping LW class specials I am actually leaving "future" features/fixes/maintenance into the hands of LW instead of the community. One less thing to do is totally worth the downside of everything showing at level 1.

This is the side of things no one likes to hear or talk about. But TIME is very precious for those doing the community work. This means we sacrifice some "nice" stuff for a faster method of implementation. We either do this or the alternative is NO community files.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #13 Reply With Quote