Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

kbs666

Old December 15th, 2015, 02:13 PM
In doing data entry for one of the publishers for the Content Market I came across an issue that will probably come up again and again.

Prefix sorting is not enabled by default but if the realm is meant to be viewed that way it should be on when the realm is acquired.
kbs666 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old December 16th, 2015, 04:50 AM
That's a good point, are preferences being kept from development of realm to passing it on through market place.

Mine are sorted same way.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old December 16th, 2015, 06:50 AM
Preferences are the domain of the user, not the content sellers. If your realm uses prefixes heavily you should mention that in the intro Topic and in the Market blurb, but you can't force your purchasers to use them.

Parody is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old December 16th, 2015, 08:43 AM
Since each realm has its own setting for this I do not see why the setting cannot be part of the package when a realm is purchased.

I am a very knowledgeable user and know how to set up prefixes so they appear in front of topics and get sorted but a new user wouldn't. Shouldn't that less knowledgeable user simply be able to buy a package and have it work and look as the author intended?
kbs666 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old December 16th, 2015, 09:32 AM
Good point, but what if that user has things how they like and the Realm setting messes that up? I bet LW are giving this some serious consideration.

Sleet was enjoying a tasty beverage at his local tavern, when a Tarrasque showed up in the local area. He managed to valiantly get on it's back and ride it. How he did it is a mystery to this day...

RW: Engine Heart, I Love The Corps! Home Brew: Star Gate: Avalon, Monda Minutia. I'm good with: OpenOffice, Paint, Lego Digital Designer. & not so good with: Realm Works, Hero Lab, CC3+, GIMP, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, AstroSynth, Inspiration Pad Pro. RW Kickstarter Supporter.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
davidp
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 16th, 2015, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
Since each realm has its own setting for this I do not see why the setting cannot be part of the package when a realm is purchased.

I am a very knowledgeable user and know how to set up prefixes so they appear in front of topics and get sorted but a new user wouldn't. Shouldn't that less knowledgeable user simply be able to buy a package and have it work and look as the author intended?
Yes, each realm has its own realm preferences. But what should be done when someone imports a package into an existing realm? Overwrite the user's own preferences with what the package author deemed ideal?
davidp is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Teresa

Old December 16th, 2015, 11:54 AM
"Shouldn't that less knowledgeable user simply be able to buy a package and have it work and look as the author intended? "

As a writer/maker-of-school-handouts keen on the perfect appearance for the perfect understanding, I strongly sympathyse with this idea.

But the fact is, I would go berserk if I imported something into my realm that changed MY settings. (Even if I later do come to the conclusion the author is right!)

Like Parody said "mention that in the intro Topic and in the Market blurb", add instructions on how to do it (step-by-step pictures if need be) in the intro Topic. I don't usually get lost in instructions, but everyone loves step-by-step pictures - me included on my brain-dead days.

So yes, give detailed instructions on how to achieve the author's idea of perfect preferences for his/her material. But give the purchaser the choice to not reset his/her native preferences every time s/he buys something new.

Last edited by Teresa; December 16th, 2015 at 11:54 AM. Reason: typo
Teresa is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old December 16th, 2015, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidp View Post
Yes, each realm has its own realm preferences. But what should be done when someone imports a package into an existing realm? Overwrite the user's own preferences with what the package author deemed ideal?
Good point, I had only considered it from the idea that if I "passed" on my personal realm of Daede to another, it should come with "my" preset preferences. As there would be no user preferences to change.

If you are speaking of a "add-on" to a realm, like say buying Rise of the RuneLords AP that installs into the Golarion realm. Then yeah I would think the preferences that are present in Golarion realm should take precedent over what was in RotR.

This is where a product like RW gets very complex very fast.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
davidp
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 16th, 2015, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
This is where a product like RW gets very complex very fast.
Oh, yeah!
davidp is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old December 16th, 2015, 01:15 PM
This is the kind of thing I was thinking about in a previous post, when I mentioned that publishers may have some unworkable expectations about their control over the appearance of the Realms. I was thinking then more specifically of fonts and styles, but this fits the same mold.

In the end, it may be advisable to match the default settings of a new installation or RealmWorks. It may not be the "best" standard, but it is "a" standard that can be defined and adhered to.

I am reminded of Windows software development and monitors... although monitors supporting resolutions higher than VGA (640x480) have been around for some time, software developers (especially in corporate teams) had to assume VGA as the lowest-common-denominator for their applications...it had to be usable and have an acceptable appearance based on that, because that was the only thing you could assume (because Windows itself required VGA or better).
Silveras is offline   #10 Reply With Quote