Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds

Notices

jfrazierjr

Old April 5th, 2017, 08:43 AM
for giggles, remove this:

Code:
<eval phase="Setup" priority="5000">#resmax[resHinder] += 1</eval>
And fix the racial property to point to the correct (new) hindrance.
jfrazierjr is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old April 5th, 2017, 03:38 PM
I have a thought on the ability to buy it off. Do you buy it off with an Advance or Edge? Maybe inside the racial property or racial ability you could have it turn itself off, by making it not print. Then, the things that need to look at its existence look at the print value and if it is printing it is in effect, but if it is not printing it is turned off.

The print/noprint code is (I usually put it in pre-traits or traits 5000, but it has a broader range, but it depends on when things need to look at it, I am pretty sure that Setup might even work).

Code:
if (hero.tagis[Edge.edgMeLiterate] = 1) then
      perform this.assign[Print.NoPrint]
endif
The above code is put inside the Hindrance. Then, as I mentioned, other things can look for the MeLiterate Hindrance and see if it is Print.NoPrint or (I think) Print.Print.

Personally I think that value should be able to be part of everything. Then we could have Derived Traits that only show up when not the default value and have other things turn themselves off or be turned off by mechanic scripts.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old April 5th, 2017, 04:16 PM
And yes, somewhere along the way in process I made the additional version of Illiterate irrelevant, since I deactivate the Hindrance by turning off the Racial Ability itself. Apparently I forgot about it and never got rid of it.

Is there any reason using the regular Hindrance (the way I obviously have it set up now) would make any difference in regard to the Reward thing, though, since its still on the character by being bootstrapped?

Last edited by Paragon; April 5th, 2017 at 04:24 PM.
Paragon is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old April 5th, 2017, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
for giggles, remove this:

Code:
<eval phase="Setup" priority="5000">#resmax[resHinder] += 1</eval>
And fix the racial property to point to the correct (new) hindrance.
Won't the former reduce the number of Hindrances the character can take? That's why I put it in in the first place as I recall.
Paragon is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old April 5th, 2017, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeleyOne View Post
I have a thought on the ability to buy it off. Do you buy it off with an Advance or Edge? Maybe inside the racial property or racial ability you could have it turn itself off, by making it not print. Then, the things that need to look at its existence look at the print value and if it is printing it is in effect, but if it is not printing it is turned off.

The print/noprint code is (I usually put it in pre-traits or traits 5000, but it has a broader range, but it depends on when things need to look at it, I am pretty sure that Setup might even work).

Code:
if (hero.tagis[Edge.edgMeLiterate] = 1) then
      perform this.assign[Print.NoPrint]
endif
The above code is put inside the Hindrance. Then, as I mentioned, other things can look for the MeLiterate Hindrance and see if it is Print.NoPrint or (I think) Print.Print.

Personally I think that value should be able to be part of everything. Then we could have Derived Traits that only show up when not the default value and have other things turn themselves off or be turned off by mechanic scripts.
I do it indirectly, with the Edge I listed; it has to be that way since you can buy it off with either Rewards or Advances. Is there some advantage to doing it your way over what I'm currently doing? It doesn't seem like it'd help with the problem at hand (the Reward thing).
Paragon is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
jfrazierjr

Old April 6th, 2017, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
Won't the former reduce the number of Hindrances the character can take? That's why I put it in in the first place as I recall.
I get that, but it would tell us if that specific line is what is causing the reward points to be earned OR something behind the scenes related to that specific call.

I suspect that removing that line and testing will NOT give the reward(and by side effect will reduce your available max hindrance points).
jfrazierjr is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old April 6th, 2017, 08:21 AM
Well, I went in and fixed a couple things with the Racial Power, just because I was there, but this still seems to be producing the extra Reward point:

Code:
<thing id="rpLessEdu" name="Less Educated" description="Simian communities are superstitious of “modern” or “futuristic” technology, and traditionally don’t teach technology to their young. Simians begin with the Illiterate Hindrance, and cannot take the following skills at  the  time  of  character  creation:  Driving,  Lockpicking, Knowledge  (Computers,  Electronics,  Science,  and  the like), Piloting, Repair. Simians, can buy this off with two character creation points, or as an Advance." compset="RacialProp" summary="Technology averse">
    <fieldval field="raceCstVal" value="-2"/>
    <usesource source="BrEarth"/>
    <tag group="DomainTerm" tag="Race" name="Race" abbrev="Race"/>
    <tag group="User" tag="LessEdu" name="LessEdu" abbrev="LessEdu"/>
    <bootstrap thing="hinBESIll">
      <containerreq phase="Initialize" priority="8000">hero#User.LessEdu</containerreq>
      </bootstrap>
    <eval phase="Setup" priority="5000"><![CDATA[ if (field[abilActive].value <> 0) then
hero.child[resHinder].field[resMax].value += 1
herofield[acMaxMinor].value += 1
herofield[acMaxHindP].value += 1
        endif]]></eval>
    </thing>
I tried manipulating rewPoints in the Eval script, but it didn't seem to like it; I don't know if its just not something you can manipulate there, or my syntax was bad (the latter striking me as the more likely).
Paragon is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old April 6th, 2017, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
I get that, but it would tell us if that specific line is what is causing the reward points to be earned OR something behind the scenes related to that specific call.

I suspect that removing that line and testing will NOT give the reward(and by side effect will reduce your available max hindrance points).
Okay, you're apparently a genius JF; this did indeed fix the reward points, and interestingly enough did not reduce my available Hindrances. I am utterly confused as to why this worked, but it clearly did.
Paragon is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old April 6th, 2017, 08:35 AM
Just as an interesting side issue, bootstrapping it does not actually prevent you from taking it normally. I'll have to get in and replace that one and set it up so the bootstrapped one blocks access to the regular one.

Edit: This was apparently an artifact of not closing and reopening the program; now that I've done that there's no duplication possible.

Last edited by Paragon; April 6th, 2017 at 08:37 AM.
Paragon is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
jfrazierjr

Old April 6th, 2017, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
Okay, you're apparently a genius JF; this did indeed fix the reward points, and interestingly enough did not reduce my available Hindrances. I am utterly confused as to why this worked, but it clearly did.
heh... before I was a developer, I spent 8 years on technical support for a few application help desks. One of the things I learned really early on is to remove things ONE BY ONE, testing between each to minimize and eliminate causes. This has helped me immensely when I became a developer(it also helped me realize the kind of stupid stuff clients might attempt so I could test those when I am coding!)
jfrazierjr is offline   #30 Reply With Quote