Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds

Notices

SeeleyOne

Old April 19th, 2017, 05:13 PM
And here I thought they were pretty obvious

"Attempt to access non-existent containing entity from script
Location: 'eval' script for Component 'Advance' (Eval Script 'Accrue Advances') near line 3

This means that the eval script, 'Accrue Advances', is trying to look at something on line 3. That something does not exist when the eval script is being looked at. Advances probably have a narrow window of timing.

- - -
Attempt to access non-existent containing entity from script
Location: 'eval' script for Component 'Advance' (Eval Script '#6') near line 11

The Eval Script #6 (how many are in that advance?) is trying to look at something on line 11 that does not exist at that time.

- - -
Location: 'eval' script for Component 'Advance' (Eval Script '#6') near line 16"

Eval Script #6 is trying to do something that does not exist yet around line 16.

Either a) the timings and phases are out of sync with when an Advance is looked at, b) Advances cannot have eval scripts, or c) both a and b. I am guessing c. This is why I have been recommending that you should use a mechanic to look at the Advance and run the eval script. Then, since you did not seem to like that idea, I recommended an Edge. But really, for this a mechanic is the best. I showed how you can look for an advance in an earlier post.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #41 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old April 20th, 2017, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeleyOne View Post
And here I thought they were pretty obvious

"Attempt to access non-existent containing entity from script
Location: 'eval' script for Component 'Advance' (Eval Script 'Accrue Advances') near line 3

This means that the eval script, 'Accrue Advances', is trying to look at something on line 3. That something does not exist when the eval script is being looked at. Advances probably have a narrow window of timing.
I actually figured that one out; I just couldn't find where said eval script is so I couldn't conclude what it was looking for.

Quote:
- - -
Location: 'eval' script for Component 'Advance' (Eval Script '#6') near line 11

The Eval Script #6 (how many are in that advance?) is trying to look at something on line 11 that does not exist at that time.
There's only one eval script (the one that resets the skill points properly) so that makes no sense. I'm assuming its actually in the eval scripts for handling advances, but see my note above.

Quote:

- - -
Location: 'eval' script for Component 'Advance' (Eval Script '#6') near line 16"

Eval Script #6 is trying to do something that does not exist yet around line 16.
Again, must be somewhere elsewhere in the code.

Quote:
Either a) the timings and phases are out of sync with when an Advance is looked at, b) Advances cannot have eval scripts, or c) both a and b. I am guessing c. This is why I have been recommending that you should use a mechanic to look at the Advance and run the eval script. Then, since you did not seem to like that idea, I recommended an Edge. But really, for this a mechanic is the best. I showed how you can look for an advance in an earlier post.
I did. It didn't actually seem to help enormously. I perhaps should revisit the mechanic idea, though. Its just a weirdly backward way to do it.

As I said, the odd thing is that the simple advance I listed above doesn't trigger any kind of basic error in loading the .user file, just the errors with running (and notably, it seems to do what its supposed to do even though it throws the errors). However any attempt to integrate it with an extent Advance (say, the new skill advance) throws a variety of different errors depending on where its positioned. I'd actually been speculating on your a) but concluded I didn't have any way to figure out what the timing problems were.

Before I approach the mechanic end of that, I'm assuming what you're suggesting is to have an Advance that doesn't really do anything other than use up an Advance point, then have a Mechanic with an eval script that if it sees that Advance in place, does the actual work (i.e. bootstraps the two Knowledges, and corrects the skill point thing)? Is there liable to be a problem with it trying to do so every time you open the program (i.e. propagating new Knowledges all the time)? I imagine the timing on it may be a little fussy.
Paragon is offline   #42 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old April 20th, 2017, 06:13 PM
Yes, I meant an otherwise useless Advance. The problem is that Advances are not designed to work like other things. They are meant to add other things but not actually do anything themselves. I put my mechanics inside an if statement that looks at the source, so it would run for any time that your source is checked in the Configure Hero. It is indeed backwards, but you are trying to get things to work outside of their original design.

Really, the Edges are the simplest to implement as it can be a single thing and not need an outside mechanic. It is not ideal, but what you want is not possible within Hero Lab. It should be, but it isn't. They cost an Advance each. And, since they are designed to be taken as Advances they would need to accommodate for a skill point for any skill that is bootstrapped.

I really wish that Hero Lab was designed for easy modability and mix-and-match settings.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #43 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old April 20th, 2017, 08:07 PM
I'll give the mechanic a try and if I can't get it to work, drop back to the Edge. This is literally the last thing I need to do for this (other than the cleanup on eval script Edges when that change goes through) and I'm tired off fiddling with it.

I want to thank both you and CC for helping me with this. Its been more than a little frustrating, and if that's come through in any my responses, I apologize.
Paragon is offline   #44 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 21st, 2017, 10:40 AM
Don't beat yourself up. This is an unique programming language. It takes some time to get it right. It took me forever.

_
Currently In Development: Savage Pathfinder
Future Development: SWADE Super Powers Companion, SWADE Fantasy Companion
_
Currently Running: Savage Unity Inc. (homebrew multiverse theme)
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
Future Setting Files: Savage Judge Dredd
CapedCrusader is online now   #45 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old April 21st, 2017, 11:34 AM
Looks like I'll have to go with the Edge. Apparently simply putting in an empty Advance triggers the same errors that putting in one with the bootstraps did, and I can't seem to identify what exact parts of the default Advance format it needs to have in it not to trigger the errors. It will obviously work with the modified version CC gave me, but there's a lot going on there.

I don't suppose anyone happens to know if there's a bit of code I could put in to use the extent skill picks Advance as a model and just tell it to pick "skKnow" instead of giving you a choice?
Paragon is offline   #46 Reply With Quote
Paragon

Old April 21st, 2017, 03:25 PM
Never mind, that's a dopey question; if one of you knew that you'd have already suggested it.
Paragon is offline   #47 Reply With Quote