Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

Brolthemighty

Old November 22nd, 2020, 06:59 AM
Alright, so I was looking at working of of what's already been done with Class Feature Variants, and turn the Spell-Less Ranger into such a choice. To begin, I sat down and looked at the Class Variant adjustment, and it's corresponding configurable. But I just can't see how that's actually making things work. I'm not seeing any evals on either. This is what I see, and what I'm not, so that I can work out how to make Spellcasting part of this.

Adjustable
- Has Class Expr-reqs: Totally understand this. Must have a level in the class for this to work.
- Boostrapped configurable: Self explanatory

Configurable
- Names Custom ability for cfgObject 1: Nothing linked to it. How is it pulling the Ranger's abilities/new abilities?

How would you go about having Spellcasting/Spell-Less linked to these? I have no problem trying to suss this all out and figure out what I can, but I can't even really find examples since I'm not understanding the interaction between these two things.

Right now I'm looking at an Eval script like:
Delete spellcasting tags

perform hero.childfound[cHelpRgr].delete[sClass.cHelpRgr]

This gives me an error about Cantrips?

Last edited by Brolthemighty; November 22nd, 2020 at 07:29 AM.
Brolthemighty is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old November 22nd, 2020, 02:02 PM
You need to figure out how to reduce the ranger's spellcasting table. You will need to script a code that does this by modifying the spellcasting table for slots and spells known. It will be a little work, I won't deny that.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Brolthemighty

Old November 22nd, 2020, 04:56 PM
So something like taking the scripting that adds spellcasting to a non caster class, but reverse it? Remove tag on instead of add tag?
Brolthemighty is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old November 23rd, 2020, 07:46 AM
One problem is that Spell-Less Ranger is a different class than Ranger - at least from a code standpoint.

I think what will have to happen is that you'll have to make copies of all the procedures for the Ranger class variant and insert them into the logic for the UA class variants file in all the logical places. These are the things like: p5CCFVRgr bootstraps cfg5CCFVRgr - this makes calls to macroes like #levelcount[Ranger].

I *believe* you'll have to swap that sort of code out with #levelcount[Ranger (spellless)] or however the UA Ranger codes it's name in the UA - Ranger Spellless file.
dungeonguru is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Fenris447

Old November 23rd, 2020, 08:14 AM
So are you talking about using the Spell-Less ranger class that has already been made, which dungeonguru correctly points out is a separate class in the Community Pack, or are you looking to create a variant feature for the default ranger that converts it into the spell-less ranger?

To answer your original question about how the configurable pulls the Ranger variant features, take a look at one of those features. Those features have tags that indicate they should be available to the variant ranger configurable. Hero Lab collects all the features with that tag, and makes them available to the Variant Ranger configurable/tab.

To create a new Ranger Variant feature, you'd just have to add that same tag.

But as a heads up, I'm re-working how all the variant features work. They're being consolidated into a single "Tasha's Variants" tab, along with the variant Racial features. They'll work a bit differently, using abCategory tags + dynamic tag expressions for the abilities menus in the new Variants configurable, instead of individual configurables and the tags to make them available to that config.

It's totally cool if you want to keep doing what you're doing, but just know you'll be using the UA version of these features, not the (eventual) release.

Found an issue with or have a suggestion for the 5e Community Pack? Please post it here at our GitHub.

Feel free to stop by the Lone Wolf Development Subreddit, for discussion of any and all LWD products and community efforts!
Fenris447 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Brolthemighty

Old November 23rd, 2020, 08:16 AM
I tried actually just letting the Class Variants recognize the Spell Less Ranger that was built as a base class as a Ranger, but there looked to be a good bit different from base Ranger as well. I was getting all kinds of errors. That’s actually what I started with. And then Figured that the Spellcasting Was a Class Feature, so why not just mesh it with the Class Feature variants? I’ll see what I can do though. Which would be an easier work around.

Edit: Fenris, I was looking at making it a variant for the base Ranger, just so it all meshes together. I had finally found the tags that all the variants have so they can be collected, and was working on the scripting for sizable spells. Looks like I might be better off just working with the Spell less as a base, and work the variants in. For now, until you’re done with Tasha’s.

Last edited by Brolthemighty; November 23rd, 2020 at 08:19 AM.
Brolthemighty is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Fenris447

Old November 23rd, 2020, 08:17 AM
As to deleting the spellcasting, I'd make a copy of the default Ranger and play around with all the tags and fields that make it a spellcaster. See what the Ranger has that gives it spellcasting, so you can see what your new ability needs to target and delete. That will probably be multiple things, from tags about what kind of caster it is to the arrays that say when and how many spells it gets.

Found an issue with or have a suggestion for the 5e Community Pack? Please post it here at our GitHub.

Feel free to stop by the Lone Wolf Development Subreddit, for discussion of any and all LWD products and community efforts!
Fenris447 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Fenris447

Old November 23rd, 2020, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brolthemighty View Post
I tried actually just letting the Class Variants recognize the Spell Less Ranger that was built as a base class as a Ranger, but there looked to be a good bit different from base Ranger as well. I was getting all kinds of errors. That’s actually what I started with. And then Figured that the Spellcasting Was a Class Feature, so why not just mesh it with the Class Feature variants? I’ll see what I can do though. Which would be an easier work around.
Yeah adding the spell-less ranger would basically be trying to layer a new class onto an old one, which would, at best, give you double levels. I'd figure out what the differences are between the two and see how you can strip our whatever the base Ranger loses, then add whatever the Spell-Less grants.

Fenris447 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Brolthemighty

Old November 23rd, 2020, 08:36 AM
It looks like base Ranger only loses Spells, and gains BM maneuvers,may well as a couple other abilities. Looks like I have a deep dive of coding to do.

Edit: Quick edit for an unrelated but related issue. Any time I’ve created something in the dig or, and then later deleted it....the Unique ID’s can still be found in the editor. I no longer have access to the coded piece, but the UniqueID still exists. How do I clean that up?
Brolthemighty is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Fenris447

Old November 23rd, 2020, 08:53 AM
It should disappear next time you reload the whole system. Go to the hero and press ctrl+R to do that. If it's still there after that, I don't know. I haven't had that problem.

Fenris447 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote